I received a tablecloth blank (thanks Chenvre!) and promptly sewed end channels using 3 stitch lines as most parachute nylon hammocks have. As a little extra reinforcement I sewed some bar tacks along the edges where the stitch lines start.
After putting in some continuous loops I went to get in and all I heard was a tear followed be me on the ground. The fabric had ripped straight across just below my first stitch line. I was completely surprised considering how many people are using these as hammocks.
I think what happened was my stitch holes were too close together and combined with the multiple holes from bartacks at the edges served to create a perfect perforation line across the hammock waiting to be torn like a paper towel off a roll. I think if I increased my stitch length and did not sew the small bartacks, then there would not have been a problem.
After I got up and figured out what happened I was a little hesitant to sew new end channels and I did not trust the other end since I sewed it the same as the side that failed. I decided to cut off the other end channel and I ended up doing Warbonnet style whipping for the ends.
This was my first DIY hammock and so the lesson I learned was I should think about how the stitching will function under tension.