Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images

New to thread injecting and getting hooked

It's funny how there can be an addiction within an addiction. I have always been reluctant to try my hand at sewing for some reason but seeing so many DIY projects especially from the guys I usually hang with I figured I should give it a shot.

I received a machine from HF member quiet (thanks man!) and it worked for a short time but then broke. After bringing it to a local shop I decided rather than spending $120 or more to have my machine repaired I'd spend $200.00 on used machine that's already been serviced and comes with a 5 year warranty. It's a basic machine but I did not want to spend more at this point and often times the older, simpler machines are more reliable and durable because of their more robust construction. I mentioned to the guy at the store that we call them thread injectors and he got a chuckle out of that. He had never heard that term before and he's been in the business for over 30 years.

After playing with some scraps to get the feel of seams and hems I decided to make a stuff sac since it is the gateway DIY project. I cannibalized an old tent stuff sac for the materials. My first one turned out well. I made a second mini stuff sac with the left over material. After completing that one I decided to modify a JRB sac that had a velcro and strap closure into a draw string closure.

The next day after wearing one on my fleece jackets for some unseasonably cold weather I looked down at my rolled up sleeve and decided after years of having to roll up my sleeves because they are always too long for my short arms, that I would go and hem them. Well, one jacket turned into four fleece jacket. They all now have the appropriate length sleeves.

Next, I repaired a tear on a jacket and a ripped seam on one of my wife's sweaters. My wife had me sew a pillow case out of a T shirt she did not want to throw away but was not going to wear anymore.

Yesterday I sewed up some tree straps and tonight I just finished my first DIY hammock. Now I'm mulling over what to do next. I'm going to keep practicing and maybe take a few lessons offered at the store where I bought my machine.

One thing that is really great is the satisfaction that come with completing a project no matter how small. There is also a confidence now that I don't have to worry as much about minor gear or clothing repair. I used to take my pants to be hemmed but not anymore.

Thanks for letting me blab on and on.

Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg. underqu
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I would like to take up sewing also. My wife is a quilter and keeps quite busy making more than enough quilts for our home. She doesn't have time to sew me the things I would like so I've thought about getting my own machine to do it myself. I like making things with my hands and you get a great deal of satisfaction knowing you did it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camping beaver View Post
    I would like to take up sewing also. My wife is a quilter and keeps quite busy making more than enough quilts for our home. She doesn't have time to sew me the things I would like so I've thought about getting my own machine to do it myself. I like making things with my hands and you get a great deal of satisfaction knowing you did it.
    You should definitely do it. You're right, it is satisfying and I've found it not too difficult so far. With your wife's skills you also have a good learning resource.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    That's good looking work, Bubba!

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I'm a remodeling contractor by trade and own a bunch of tools. The thread injector is another tool that I own to make and fix things.
    Also have a bunch of Makita t-shirts...can't find an Emdeko thread injector shirt.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    That's good looking work, Bubba!
    Hey thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    I'm a remodeling contractor by trade and own a bunch of tools. The thread injector is another tool that I own to make and fix things.
    Also have a bunch of Makita t-shirts...can't find an Emdeko thread injector shirt.
    That's they way I look at it. Skills with tools.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Re: New to thread injecting and getting hooked

It is fun! I took it up this padded winter and by the end of winter I made myself a TQ for a fraction of the cost.

Haven't had much time to do anything this spring/summer, but I can't wait to get to more projects.

Have fun!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    It is fun! I took it up this padded winter and by the end of winter I made myself a TQ for a fraction of the cost.

Haven't had much time to do anything this spring/summer, but I can't wait to get to more projects.

Have fun!
    Thanks. I am having fun. I like stumbling on something new to learn.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camping beaver View Post
    We don't sew!

We use a thread injector to make gear.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Your lines are a lot straighter than mine. looks good.

It can be addicting. I took a sewing class at the community college and I was the only guy there.

I am cutting the material for 3 DIY hammocks right now. Plan to make 2 single layer and one double layer. Trying to decide on using a contrasting thread or a matching thread for the material. So many decisions to make
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast