Thread: bag/pad help

bag/pad help

Let me preface by saying i have precisely ZERO hammocking experience, outside of naps in a braided rope hammock at my grandparents house when i was a kid. But from my research (and fond memories of those naps), i can't imagine it NOT being the greatest thing since sliced bread. That said, i've decided to dive in head first.

I've ordered a wbbb double 1.1 and a tarp, should be arriving soon. I'm trying to decide on a pad/bag/quilt system. I have an old mummy bag and a thermarest, but i've decided i want to upgrade both as both are relavtively heavy and not particulary well-suited for hanging, plus it's always fun to get new toys. I'd like to keep the option of going to ground, so i'm looking to do a pad instead of an underquilt. In fact, i got excited a few weeks ago and ordered the wide gossamer gear ccf pad (1/4", i think?) and klymit inertia x frame inflatable pad (google it if you're not familiar - kind of a cool idea) pretty much on a whim. I'm def going to hold on to the ccf pad, but returning the inertia is an option as i've not used it outside yet.

So right now i'm weighing 3 different options. I'm certainly open to others, but after much deliberation i've come up with 3 systems that i think address my main concerns. And speaking of main concerns, they are as follows: weight - keeping it low; price - would love to spend less than $300 more than i already have (and less would be even better); and conditions - the eventual goal is an AT thru hike, and right now i'm trying to put together a 400-or-so-mile section hike sometime late this summer/early fall.

So back to those 3 ideas. They are: 1, keep the inertia x pad, cut the ccf pad down to 40"x30", and get a 30* top quilt. 2, keep the inertia x pad, leave the ccf at home, and get a 30* mummy bag. Or 3, return the inertia x pad, buy a thermarest x-lite and get a 30* quilt. My reasoning is that the inertia x by itself probably would not work well with a quilt (all those holes on the bottom), but might work well combined with a smallish piece of ccf pad. I'm sure it'd be fine with a mummy bag, or conversely a quilt would be fine with a solid pad like the x-lite. I'm also thinking these assumptions apply to both hanging and ground sleeping. But of course i could be horribly wrong. That's why i'm asking you all.

To answer the obvious questions, all three options are comperable regarding total weight and cost (ranging 32-34 oz and $200-$250 additional expense). And yes, i definitely will experiment with the gear i've got once i get the hammock. But i've been waiting a month, for crying out lout, and i'm starting to get impatient. Plus, rei is having their anniversary sale, and 20% off on a pricy pad or bag would be pretty solid. So i'm trying to get a jump on this whole process. Any input/suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, that's a really long post for what is, essentially, one question. Sorry?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Let's simplify this: keep the ccf pad, and buy a good quality top quilt. Then use them as much as you can. A lot of learning needs to take place before you take off on a multi-day trip, and most of it has to be between the trees, not on the net.

You will make some changes along the way, and when you finally get dialed in, your kit may not even resemble what you started with. Therein lies the fun.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    So, the ccf pad is 39" wide. That is all you need in the pad sleeve beneath... A nice down quilt would be a great lightweight, packable option. Maybe something in M50 or similar lightweight material...
    the xlite won't work well in the hammock
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I used a sleeping bag and pad for a while and was more than happy. Of course a UQ is much better in my opinion (for me).
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Health
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    Usa
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I used a sleeping bag and pad for a while and was more than happy. Of course a UQ is much better in my opinion (for me).
    Carry forth.
    Shug

the inerta pad really has no r value, the good thing about it is all those holes are there to let the loft poke up them and thus provide the r rating of the sleeping bag. As long as you place the bag or quilt under the inerta pad it's all good. under quilt under hammock and if going to ground inerta on top of the under quilt,
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

• + New Posts