Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by elowe001 View Post
    where did you purshase your webbing?
    My first straps were simply ratcheting tie down straps from my local Wally-world. I just took the straps out of the racheting part and learned how to tie Marlin hitches.

I eventually went to something heavy-duty from Dutchware, but my 100lb daughter is still using those straps.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by elowe001 View Post
    where did you purshase your webbing?
    I buy my webbing from all over the place. Usually in lots of 6-8 300ft rolls from manufactures or supply chains.
    Last year I had a big call for light blue so I got 15 325ft rolls from China. Waited 4 months for it and havent sold a ft of it since.
    Wanna buy some real nice light blue 4500 lb webbing?
    I gotta S**t load of it

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    The education that needs to occur with regards to hammocking is that which will best promote the hobby as a sustainable alternative to tenting. Ropes can and do damage trees. In your last video you claimed you would discuss specifics about damage and how to avoid it and now in this second video you still haven't. I just don't think we need an 'expert' saying 'you can use rope' and completely dismissing the whole issue.

Sorry man, I appreciate your enthusiasm but I don't appreciate the content.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    In an effort to try to consult some 'experts', I've reached out to another forum. It's called the "treebuzz board", and I've been asking about knowledge or information about the risks to tree bark/cambium layers due to various types of ropes/cordage/straps and loads.

All the responses there agree so far that straps are better than ropes, assuming similar widths, given the dispersion of forces. They also mention the weight of straps vs ropes as an added value, and made comparison of our use of tree straps to their own use of "friction savers" in their own climbing equipment.

There was the mention of the need to leave cordage attached to the tree for an extended period of time to be the most likely source of damage, which does tie into Dennis's thoughts on this.

But overall, they seem to agree that straps tend to be a more environmentally friendly option.

I have asked if there's any kind of reference material that I could look at which might point out the risk to the cambium/bark of a tree from 'hangers'...pending a response to that.

Also seems to have drummed up some good will towards us "hangers"...they liked the idea that we embraced "LNT" so well.

Hammock
    Brazilian Hammock
    Insulation
    Quilt or Blanket
    Suspension
    Rope
    My argument I know isn't standing so hot in a place such as this. But in consideration of difference of culture and country there is a huge contrast in thinking and ideology. All of your arguments about the use of tree straps over ropes is understandable as the use of ropes over a an extended period of use and plus in OVERPOPULATED areas makes it a taboo as they will be banned.

Ok, but the fact that a rope will not kill a tree is undeniable. Different types of barks there are, hard and soft. Soft bark will defiantly leave marks. But to kill a tree it would take to much more to do that....

If the tree has been girdled, that is, the bark and cambium layer beneath it, has been removed completely around the tree, then it will die. If there is any portion of the bark remaining it may live, but if that remaining is small it probably will die fairly soon due to general decline. If the cambium layer has not been destroyed it may recover, but once the bark is stripped away it is most likely doomed because of the likelihood of invasion by fungi, insects, etc.
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/bio99610.htm

From what I have seeing on ebay, poly straps are not expensive but still it cost for those who don't have. Maybe one day I will be able to obtain one to try it out personally and do a better video.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I think good etiquette says that we should use tree huggers and we should not leave any visible marks my treat once we leave. I think overall this is the best practice for the community. I have see trees with barbed trees with barbed wire w wrapped around them what really grew around the barbed wire and that tree is still fine this day. Farmers have been doing this kind of thing forever on account of their livestock. So although it's ugly I really think in the l I really think in the long run as long as the tree is a large healthy tree you're not be able to kill it.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis Bailey View Post
    My argument I know isn't standing so hot in a place such as this. But in consideration of difference of culture and country there is a huge contrast in thinking and ideology. All of your arguments about the use of tree straps over ropes is understandable as the use of ropes over a an extended period of use and plus in OVERPOPULATED areas makes it a taboo as they will be banned.

Ok, but the fact that a rope will not kill a tree is undeniable. Different types of barks there are, hard and soft. Soft bark will defiantly leave marks. But to kill a tree it would take to much more to do that....

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/bio99610.htm

From what I have seeing on ebay, poly straps are not expensive but still it cost for those who don't have. Maybe one day I will be able to obtain one to try it out personally and do a better video.
    I would agree that using ropes MAY not kill a tree. It MAY not even damage the tree, depending on tree type and time of year.

But then again...it COULD, again depending on those same factors.

Given that a tree strap can help prevent that...and as you've found, they're not all that expensive...then it's probably worthwhile to use them where/when you can.

You argue that not everyone has the money or ability to purchase them...understood. Over 2 billion people in this world live without electricity and still cook their meals over a fire every night. If they have a choice on where to spend there money...on food a tree strap...I think we can agree on where the money should go.

What is it you're hoping to convince us to do, us to change here on hammock forums? That tree straps aren't worth it? That using them is no more beneficial to the tree than rope? That we should stop using them?

I get that you live in a place where they're not required...great. Most of the folks you're trying to convince here live in places where they ARE required...and we don't have an issue with that requirement. I don't think anyone here is trying to change the laws/rules where you live to require them...and if they are, then presenting your viewpoint SPECIFICALLY TO THOSE PEOPLE would be your best way to go.

Again...I'm not sure what you're hoping to get out of this video and discussion?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    I think good etiquette says that we should use tree huggers and we should not leave any visible marks my treat once we leave. I think overall this is the best practice for the community. I have see trees with barbed trees with barbed wire w wrapped around them what really grew around the barbed wire and that tree is still fine this day. Farmers have been doing this kind of thing forever on account of their livestock. So although it's ugly I really think in the l I really think in the long run as long as the tree is a large healthy tree you're not be able to kill it.

+1 on this, I usually do not like to get involved in these types of dicussion but growing up on a farm I have seen wire fencing, barbed wire and anything else you can imagine grown into trees so deeply you can only see the end of it coming out of each side of the tree which the tree was still growing and was as healthy as any other tree on the property.

Now with all that said, I am not as concerned about killing a tree with a rope (and don't let this fuel your fire I love trees and protecting them from any type of destruction such as bulldozing for MORE housing developments to be built or unessacery burning by the government burns me to no end) I am about protecting our lifestyle as hammock hanging junkies. I practice leave no trace and that means no trace, like markings on trees. I don't even like being able to see where my ground sheet has been and will kick some leaves around to try and cover that up. I love my hammocking lifestyle and want it to be available for many generations to come, and if using a simple strap over a rope will protect my lifestyle then I will stick with my straps
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

I'm a new hanger but long time hiker. I'm definitely a tree hugger/strap fan simply because it's good practice and upholds leave no trace policy.

Why would anyone not use straps? (I don't think saving weight is justified here).

Hammock
    Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    That's cool, and nice video.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast