Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps

Cedar Point CG, Easthampton, NY hang, wet, windy, cold, May??

Got out for the holiday weekend to test out some new gear, wasn't expecting 49* at night on memorial day weekend! The specs:
    The site:
    Cedar Point CG, part of the Suffolk county camping system https://parks.suffolkcountyny.gov/suffolkcamperweb/
    Resident fees are $15/night not bad! The sites on the perimeter have many trees to hang from, and there is a bike hotel area. The rules and regs do say that you are not allowed to hang tarps and such from trees, but I think that is for the dummies that nail tarps into trees, I haven't been hassled...there is a nice camp store that cooks food and sells basic sundries, located on peconic/gardiner bay across from shelter island, great opportunities for dayhiking, fishing (fresh and salt), kayaking, beachcombing, duck hunting in season, geocaching, etc. Montauk point is about a 1/2 hour drive, and the hamptons scene is nearby if your into that...
    The gear:
    Everything performed well, I was afraid my kelty Noah 9x9 wouldn't cover me for the rain at the ends, and it did well! Although it did not rain sideways! If it did I imagine it would not perform well, eventually I will replace it with a mac-cat, the no-sew pinch liner UQ performed like a champ! I do need to tweak the attachment points, I will be making triangle thingies to help with that. No CBS! I used a poncho liner as a top quilt, that wasn't too good, lots of cold spots, should've brought a mummy bag for a TQ. The fosters pot and bios stove heated water as expected and performed well. I can proudly say I was the only camper in the entire CG in a hammock! I did get some strange looks from passerbys...

I ended earlier than expected, it just wasn't fun in the cold wet wind...some pictures...enjoy!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369575880.949585.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369575895.720058.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369575911.564435.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369575928.124336.jpg

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Interesting place from the sound of it. Since you mentioned making triangle thingies it occurs to me to ask if you have thought about doors for one end of your tarp. With the sides down and doors closed on one end you would get a pretty tight closure for the sideways stuff. In porch mode you get a wider end to shelter under.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts