Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Alabama Hang-Cheaha Falls camping area

This weekend, abc, Grapenut, Jaxx, Buhlee, and myself had a really nice hang. Thanks to abc for starting of the idea, and for those that could not make it...we hope to see you at the next one.

Grapenut and Jaxx came in a day early and spent one night at Turnipseed, and did some hiking up the punishing "Stairway to Heaven" the rest of us met at the camping area at the Cheaha Falls crossing, just below the Cheaha Falls shelter of Friday evening.

I started the walk in from the road, and noticed that some of the trails in the area were closed due to some extensive flooding.

So, as I pondered what we might do on Saturday...and I walked towards the shelter...I almost missed this. About a 3 foot copper head. He was not interested in getting out of my way either. Had to encourage him with my trekking pole.

So, we setup and spent the day around camp Saturday. We enjoyed some great discussions, and some good food. I learned a lot, as usual...and will likely buy more gear as the result of the trip. We even had a little hammock suspension school.

Later in the day we did some swimming...water was COLD, but refreshing..

Of course we spent time checking out everyone's hammock setups, learning new ideas, and finding more ways to spend money.

And what hammock hang would be complete without....a wedding! That's right, a group of people walked over half a mile back into the woods to get married. That's a first for any hammock hang I have attend for sure.

We had a great time, and will certainly have to do this again. This was a great spot to camp. I am sure the other guys will post more pictures as well, and report their experience. Can't wait to do this again.

Picture from the shelter, just up the hill from where we camped. Had to walk up to get cell service and check in with the family from time to time. The view was great!

"I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    What a pretty spot. Stunning river.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Nice report, I'll have to get back to checking the forum regular and maybe make a future hang.

The Skyway, Silent, Pinhoti loop is a favorite...
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Hate I missed this. Hope to get time to actually attend one. Though I will be honest. Due to this trip I was inspired and the whole family has been in the hammocks for several days now.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Great summary at the start of this thread by Aboyd; I'll try not to repeat anything...

Bottom line up front: I will definitely be back to this area to camp and hope others will too. The trails we ventured on were great and the only thing (besides the snake Aboyd ran into) that we had to worry about was poison ivy.

I'm not sure how much of the year finds water rolling off the falls and into the deep pool where we camped...but the place was awesome this weekend! While the water was cold (wouldn't have it any other way) the big rocks were warm from the sun and felt great after retreating from the water.

As always, strangers joined forces in the name of better hammocking and emerged respected friends and fellow gear junkies!

Here's a couple of pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grapenut; 05-26-2013 at 19:54.
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    I had a great time, made some friends, and learned a lot. Overall, it was definitely a good trip for me. I wish I could have made it a day earlier to do the longer hike, but I'm just glad I was able to make it.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Great trail reports and pics ....looks like a awesome spot to hang ... Summer would be nice during heat of the day just hanging out in that waterfall !
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    Got a few pics to add . what a wonderful time, I can't wait to go back. Click on the pics and then click on the magnifying glass two more times to see large size. For some reason ,it would not let me put the original size on here .

Last edited by Jaxx; 05-28-2013 at 18:26.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

• + New Posts