Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Structural Ridgeline Material

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but do y'all think this Spectra would be ok for a structural ridge line and/or attaching cinch or ring buckles to a hammock? Would you go with a heavier Spectra? I've been watching BPL and they've been out of stock on it for months. Any other good Spectra sources?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Spectra is what I use. 7/64 or 1/8". Available at APS. I think someone said they were having a sale on Amsteel Blue.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Spectra is what I use. 7/64 or 1/8". Available at APS. I think someone said they were having a sale on Amsteel Blue.
    Cool......thanks for the heads up. The Spectra at APS is price comparable to the Spectra at AGG. I do believe I'll order some of the 1/8 inch so I can put a structural ridgeline on Dancer's hammock for her. I think it would be good to use for the cinch buckles on our hammocks as well, instead of the cordage that comes with the ENO hammocks. The ENO cordage is pretty thick and kinda difficult to knot. Thanks again for the advice!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

You might want to consider stronger line. It depends on whether you hang tight or hang loose. A loose hang has angles of 30 degrees or greater at the trees. A lower angle (tighter hang) stresses the static line more than you would expect from the weight of the victim...er, I mean, resident of the hammock. The stress on the hanging lines transfers to the static line as the angle decreases. Even the 5/8" static line on HHs will snap if you hang tight.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    You might want to consider stronger line. It depends on whether you hang tight or hang loose. A loose hang has angles of 30 degrees or greater at the trees. A lower angle (tighter hang) stresses the static line more than you would expect from the weight of the victim...er, I mean, resident of the hammock. The stress on the hanging lines transfers to the static line as the angle decreases. Even the 5/8" static line on HHs will snap if you hang tight.
    Actually the Amsteel is way overkill when it come to breaking strength. The 7/64" is 1600lbs and the 1/8" is 2500lbs breaking strength.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    I just bought some AmSteel 7/64 and 1/8 from Defender.com. The 7/64 was $0.26 and 1/8 $0.41.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Good stuff. Pretty much the strongest cordage in the world for the weight and size

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Just ordered 40' for the 3mm (1/8") gray Amsteel to make a structural ridgeline for Dancer's hammock and change out the cordage for our cinch buckles for both our hammocks. Yay! It's Amsteel time!

Hammock
    SBPro/Speer DIY
    Tarp
    8x10 shiny green
    Insulation
    ThermoRest
    Images
    I almost wrote a thread similar to this one earlier today, with a slightly similar question. I was curious about materials also, but more so what the advantage of cord over webbing was, for a structural ridgeline?

If that's a seemingly "stupid" question, please forgive me newb-ness; such obvious things aren't often discussed in the plethora of posts around here, but assumed knowledge.

Wow... "Stronger than AmSteel; Much stronger than steel" for $0.26/foot? Am I reading those stats right? 1600lbs "average strength"?! That's actually... affordable? And capable? What am I missing here?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bukkit View Post
    ....... I was curious about materials also, but more so what the advantage of cord over webbing was, for a structural ridgeline?
    The big advantage that cordage like Spectra, AmSteel, etc has over webbing for structural ridgelines is weight and it's ability to be easy to work with. IMO, those are two of the most important considerations for picking a structural ridgeline material.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast