Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Suspension
    Webbing+Rings
    Still using rings/webbing here as well... switched my Clark over last Spring and never looked back. Easy setup and adjustments, no loose parts to misplace and the entire suspension stays with the hammock. In the process of switching my son's HH over to rings as well, just need to go by myself some webbing and I'll be done with that.

As they say HYOH!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The ring buckle system is "mature" as compared to other systems that get the buzz now. There for a while ring and cinch buckle systems got all the discussion time. After a while the system was refined and matures so there is not so much discussion. That doesn't mean they are dead. It just means there not that much more innovation to take place. Pretty soon whoopie slings will give way to the next new thing and won't be the center of attention any longer.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Rings are not dead. Reality is more like a small group or folks zealous to get us all to convert to whoopee's so we can share the pain. (fiddle factor, hang length, toggle, etc.)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Images
    I never got the rings, but I am still using the original Onrope1 cinch buckle on my Claytor No Net, plus the 2 different types of cinch buckles on my 2 WBs(so far I prefer the ones that came on my 1st gen WBBB to the ones on the WBRR, since it is for some reason easier for me to use and I don't mind having to add a slippery 1/2 hitch). On some of my other hammocks I have whoopies. On two of my JRB bridge hammocks, I still use what is probably my 2nd to least favorite: the Tri-glides that came with them. ( I could easily swap out for some WS on the UL model, but have not yet bothered)

What is my least favorite? The rope/hugger/fig 8 lashing of the HH. But guess what? I still use this on my 2 UL Explorers. And I am still OK with that, just not a big deal, and it even has a couple of advantages.(zero hardware, for one, always easy to undo for another) Way back I changed this to a cinch buckle on the head end, while I used some sort of plastic "cleat" on the footend. But I changed it back to stock because I wanted to move my cinch buckle to another hammock, and I have left it that way since.

Why so many? Because I have decided that, while it was fun to experiment and some are def a little lighter, faster or less complicated than others, it really didn't make much difference to me in actual use. So I tend to use whatever came with the hammock. It is a rare time when I don't have a few minutes to spare while setting up camp, and I guess I don't count grams enough for an oz or 2 to make that much difference. Though if I did, there would be a couple of oz to save in there some where.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Rings are not dead. Reality is more like a small group or folks zealous to get us all to convert to whoopee's so we can share the pain. (fiddle factor, hang length, toggle, etc.)
    I never tried rings, buckles, or straps on my suspension. I've converted all my hammocks to whoopies with Dutch Whoopie hooks. No toggle, no fiddle factor, and I like that the suspension is NOT permanently connected to the hammock. I can toss my wet suspension in one bag, and my dry hammock in another.

You're right about the toggle being a drag, which is why I converted to Dutch buckles before converting to whoopie hooks. I never had a whoopie fall off a Dutch buckle.

http://dutchwaregear.com/dutch-buckle.html

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Is amsteel ok to use with the 2 ring system?

I just use amsteel to connect rings to the hammock

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    Is amsteel ok to use with the 2 ring system?
    As a point to connect the rings to the hammock yes. As a suspension system sandwiching the amsteel between the rings absolutly not ok. Amsteel is not made to be used in that way and can not survive the compression.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    As a point to connect the rings to the hammock yes. As a suspension system sandwiching the amsteel between the rings absolutly not ok. Amsteel is not made to be used in that way and can not survive the compression.
    Amen! Brother Paul

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Could someone please post a pic of how you use your rings? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how to use anything other than a rope of some sort. Thank you all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast