Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Anyone good with flow charts? Maybe a Dejoha thing...

I was thinking for those new to hammocking a flow chart might be good...maybe it's already here or out there.
    Like starting at the top and choosing bridge or gathered end; then suspension type, etc.
    Thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    There's no set progression though, just options. Plenty of options. Whoopie slings, Straps, Bridges, Gathered ends, channeled ends, ropes, straps. etc. etc. One of the daunting things about hammocks is there are so very many Do's and so very few Do Not's.

Do Not, hang your hammock above your tarp. It's just silly keeping your tarp dry with your hammock.

The best apps that I use from Dejaho is that Hammock Hang Calculator which I found out last weekend isn't on my Android (I miss things from my Iphone)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. I'm home inside and theres a thunderstorm rolling over me. Leaves me filling gabby

I actually think MM has a valid idea, with a lot of potential. Say as a guide? All of the information is spread out through the HF site topics, and or spread out through books (Dejoha's book for instance)

You figure the top would be hammock- type- gathered, channel, bridge
    Then suspension- type- straps (ring or buckle), whoopie, SLS, ?, ?
    Tarp- type- sil, cuben, ?, ?
    Insulation- type- down, synthetic, pad, ?, ?

With this basic information compiled, one could add a second one with more added to it, say for instance manufacturers, down quality (fp), synthetic rating/type (climashield xp/sport/?/?) and so much more.

Then with decisions made and information extrapolated the person could go to the respective site topic and search for threads that fit.

Just my humble thoughts which usually mean nothing.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Being a beginner myself, I think a chart would have been very helpful when purchasing my first gear
    "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."-Edward Abbey

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I do this kind of stuff as part of my day to day job.

The downside to putting together a chart to flow through all of these things is that it would scare away noobs just from it's size and complexity.

The reality is...especially when you're first learning to hang...you need to subscribe to the "KISS" method...Keep It Simple, Stupid.

If you try to convince them that they have to make all these choices/decisions up front, before going down any path...there will be many who'll turn away before even starting on the path.

Creating a flow chart for new folks outlining all of their options...and especially one that lists price ranges/various cottage company options...is more likely to discourage new folks who are going to think that they've gotten in way over their head.

When in reality...all the various choices are OPTIONS, not REQUIREMENTS.

The reality is...they can start with a $15 hammock from anywhere, a $10 tarp from anywhere, a $10 pad from anywhere, and a sleeping bag rated for the conditions they want to sleep in. Whatever stock suspension comes with the hammock will work, or they can pick up a $10 pair of straps and learn a few knots.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

Anyone good with flow charts? Maybe a Dejoha thing...

I would disagree that it would scare folks off.

Imagine all the choices there can be with buying a new car - make, model, exterior color, interior color, interior fabric, transmission type, etc. etc. etc.

Some folks are going to come on the lot, say "I like the blue one", take it as it is, and sign on the dotted line.

Some others are going to want to know if there's a version of the blue one with leather interior, 5 speed manual, seat warmers... you get the idea.

You don't need to go through a complex thought process to purchase a car. You can, however, if you like.

Having a centralized location for something like this would be useful for the folks out there who's minds work in a way that they want to know anything and everything about something before diving head first with possibly hundreds of dollars into a hobby.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    It's not a flow chart but the next best thing is probably Dejoha's A La Carte hammock selection matrix with several pre-built options listed. It at least lets you "build" a system and see what it looks like price and weight wise.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    It's bad for business. Everyone must buy/evaluate one of everything.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    UGGGGH. I despise flow charts. We have a person in our organization that loves to take the simplest task and make a huge flowchart to show each step. I think Dejoha's illustrations do a pretty good job. But if you make one up and it helps some folks then thats OK.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The downside to putting together a chart to flow through all of these things is that it would scare away noobs just from it's size and complexity
    One chart to control them..oh... wait.. wrong movie. It would be better to break it down into separate charts, hammock, tarp, UQ, TQ ect. Does not have to give vendor specific models per say but suggest a style. I was looking thru all my software and all my flow chart software is way of date and the most current one I have does not work on my current computer. if I can find some software I will start working on something.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast