Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ...the damaged area is covered with adhesive-backed cloth on both sides, sandwiching the tear within.
    Here is a link explaining how to repair sails using adhesive patches. After affixing the patch, you sew it up. You can get 3/4 oz ripstop tape at Sailrite.com.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    the bproblem is i've not found anything that will stick to sil. silicone might. i think the idea of sewing in a bigger reinforcement patch over the hole sounds good. you need a reinforcement patch for something like that anyway, it can cover the hole as well.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    If you cut out a bit of the hole, the adhesive ripstop patches will stick to each other through the hole, and might stay there long enough to sew it all together.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Thanks

yeah I felt pretty dumb. I had been dodging that line all weekend!
    Been there. I did something like this to a Maccat. I email Brian and he has some repair kits. I would suggest seeing if you could purchase it from him or HH. Brian was happy to give me step

Fixing it is extremely easy, and I have included some instructions on how to fix it below. I will send you the required patch of silnylon, and all you need to purchase is a small tube of silicone as well to patch it with. The damage sounds purely cosmetic and should in no way impact the structure or waterproofness of the tarp once it is patched.

To patch it, I will send you up a small patch of silnylon and if you need it, a small tube of clear silicone sealer. I've included a sample of the kind of hole I believe you are talking about (Picture 139). The white mark is water soluble and comes off with some water/saliva and some finger wiping. You need only to first apply a small bit of sealer to the front of the tarp (Picture 140) and spread it out around the area of the hole (141) with your finger. Next, place the patch on the sealer and press down to remove all of the air from under the patch (142). Lastly, place a small bead of silicone on top of the patch and spread it around the edges - this keeps the patch from lifting up and coming unsinged due to use. Let it dry for a few hours and you're good to go. Picture 143 is a view from underneath, as it should blend in nicely with the remaining fabric.

I have picture if you want em. PM me or post email. I have not received the kit yet but seems its simple enough. hope this helps

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20

Careful...

Ekul, the method I had mentioned to you in email works great for small holes, but I wonder if the 'hole' that stormcrow has is perhaps a little large to repair with just a patch, and may be more than cosmetic, at least in the long term with wind-loading and all.

Stormcrow, would you mind taking a picture of it just to get a sense of how large this thing is? The patching method may just work, but you want to find someone who can do a quick runaround with some fabric for more reinforcement.

Also, if you need some scrap silnylon to patch it with, shoot me a PM and I can get you hooked up with some - I've got a few colors here to play with as well.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Ekul, the method I had mentioned to you in email works great for small holes, but I wonder if the 'hole' that stormcrow has is perhaps a little large to repair with just a patch, and may be more than cosmetic, at least in the long term with wind-loading and all.

Stormcrow, would you mind taking a picture of it just to get a sense of how large this thing is? The patching method may just work, but you want to find someone who can do a quick runaround with some fabric for more reinforcement.

Also, if you need some scrap silnylon to patch it with, shoot me a PM and I can get you hooked up with some - I've got a few colors here to play with as well.
    Thanks for correcting me. =) hope your tarp is savable Storm

Hammock
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    BTW what colors are available? I like the gray but when it comes to blocking out a full moon for some shut eye its a bit translucent.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
    BTW what colors are available? I like the gray but when it comes to blocking out a full moon for some shut eye its a bit translucent.
    For bolts of fabric, I've currently got Grey, White, Black, bright orange (that would really wake you up in the morning!) plus I think I've got some Royal Blue on it's way... For scraps, I've got a ton of colors, the aforementioned plus purple, two different blues, little bit of light green, yellow, bright red, and probably some others as well.

Stormcrow, you're more than welcome to some swatches for repairs - just pick your color.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Thank you all!

Wow I am stoked. I think I can fix this thing. I have a few scraps of silnylon I can use I think.

Maybe I will make a little video of the "fix". I am going to try a little of all of it. I will make a patch using some scrap. I will affix the patch with some diluted silicone (with mineral spirits). After getting in on there with plenty of thinned silicone I will let it dry for a while. Then I will sew around the whole thing.....(I will try not to make it TOO ugly..)

I was in a hurry to get those tieouts on there so I did not NOT sew any extra material with the grosgrain. I am not sure it would have held anyway because i really tripped hard when it pulled out.

I just don't know if I want to add all of that weight onto my tarp! sigh...(shut up FF) I will just make all of my guy lines a little shorter to make up for the extra weight of silicone and nylon...

Thanks for the offer Brian. Since I still have all of the fabric I am going to try to keep the patch on the inside so that everything still looks brown on the outside. It should not be too noticeable I don't think.

Adam

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
    ...when it comes to blocking out a full moon for some shut eye its a bit translucent.
    With my translucent gray DIY tarp, I've had success using a bandana for a blindfold. Also works for a daytime snooze. Some might find the sensation annoying, though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast