Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Anything over 11' is starting to get out of the "Hiking Gear Range" for me anyway, and probably breaks well under that for UL purposes. Do to additional material weight penalties, all the way down the line. I'll bet they lay well regardless.

Tarp can go bigger the better or you could make use of several, if Yakking or Car camping, so yeah bring plenty of coverage. More than you need if you want.

If you're considering going very far afield with that rig I'd opt for using a poncho, if you carry one, or a set of Grizzbeaks, to extend coverage well beyond that of the hammock, in anticipation of possibly severe storms. That would probably save you considerable weight. Once you get beyond 10 X 12's, Tarps seem to jump into ridiculously large sizes. If coverage is the goal rather than housing an outdoor rave, that might be a bit more prudent way to do it.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    [QUOTE=jons4real;1016123]So for yall that have 11.5-12ft+ hammocks .... Please tell me all about your tarp ![/QUOTE

Unfortunately as a xxl guy .. pretty much everything I wrap around myself is also xxl lol. Meaning larger pack, larger clothing , larger hammock and undoubtedly a larger tarp. As fascinated as I may be with UL the room in my pack set aside for such things is marginal , although trust me I do my best.

So I guess what Im really wanting to know is, for those of you with 11.5+ hammocks what tarps are you using and what are the pros and cons you've experienced in the field?

( not sure what I did wrong with the quote there)
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a huge fan of my HG Winter Palace. The pros: same dimensions as a Superfly; weighs 8.5 oz. The cons: three times as expensive.

I knew I wanted something with the coverage of a Superfly, but the silnylon version comes in at 19 oz. for $130. For a mere $395, I could have the same coverage in cuben fiber at 8.5 oz!

If you're using 11.5 to 12 ft. hammocks, I would imagine you would need at least a 136 inch ridgeline, maybe 144 inches regardless of whether you go silnylon or cuben.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Mine is not an 11.5 ft; instead it's an 11-ft. However, even with it being six inches shorter, I get by with a tiny little asymmetrical tarp from the DIY Gear Supply plans and a poncho used as an undercover.

With those two, I managed to stay dry for ~12 hours in a tropical storm. When I finally did get wet, it was through the whipping ends of my hammock, since the tarp had slid off of them. A suggestion by member Black Wolf (thank you!) to use mini s-biners to hold the tarp suspension in line with the hammock suspension solved that problem, and I haven't had an issue with it since.

Tarp comes in at ~8.5 oz, including suspension and tie-outs, and the poncho comes in at ~8.25 oz and doubles as my rain gear/pack cover. So, versus my last set-up (with my tarp being the huge Hennessy Hex and my GI poncho being used as an occasional Grizz Beak), it saved ~30 oz or so. Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

If your hammock is a 11’ ridgeline version it would be a good idea to extend the tarp ridgeline past both ends. Thus 12’ a tarp ridgeline would be in order. Several makers on this sight make such a tarp. I would recommend Underground Quilts. Or, OES if you’re willing to put up with a hassle.

I don’t hike for extended periods of time or hike in extreme environments. So my risk of exposure to winds and rain is low. If I did I would use a tarp with doors.

I use a DH 11’ Dangerbird with an OES “ultra” (12’ ridgeline). So far so good.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I'm pretty certain I'm.def going to want atleast a 12ft RL. I'd love an OES but from what I read they are darn near impossible to get....
    Jons4real

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    My first choice would be a Hammock Gear Winter palace however I understand not every one wants to put that kinda money into a tarp. If you want to go silnylon then how about http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/tarps.html. Paul has an tarp with a standard 12 ft RL, he makes excellent products and has great customer service.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Aww yes, I've been checking out his facebook page. His product updates are very interesting.Lol I have no issues at all with giving Paul my money. As a matter of fact I enjoy it.
    Jons4real

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    It seems like a 144" RL is the standard " larger " tarp, wish I could find on a hair longer. It just seems like a 11.5ft hammock with a 12ft is just cutting it really close. I guess the truth of the matter is I've never seen a tarp that large in use so maybe its actually plenty big ...
    Jons4real

It seems 10’ and 11’ hammock RLs and 11' and 12’ foot tarp RLs are uniformly standard.

I forgot to add Wilderness Logics. They’re reliable. I believe they do custom work if you don’t want to do it yourself. I’m sure there is someone on this forum that could make a tarp to spec.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast