Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The water cops are going to show an interest...be sure you check into minimum equipment requirements. The old Coastie in me had to say that.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    This is such a fun thread. Just keep the hammock-stand as part of the design so we don't have to move the thread...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    US Army poncho
    Insulation
    thick hide
    Suspension
    Friction clamps
    I put my lawyer hat on for a bit and researched Washington State law regarding what I'm trying to do here. If I've read the regulations correctly, a raft is most closely defined as a "Personal flotation device" and not a "Vessel" or "Personal watercraft".

From http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=79A.60.010
    (21) "Personal flotation device" means a buoyancy device, life preserver, buoyant vest, ring buoy, or buoy cushion that is designed to float a person in the water and that is approved by the commission.

(22) "Personal watercraft" means a vessel of less than sixteen feet that uses a motor powering a water jet pump, as its primary source of motive power and that is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling on, or being towed behind the vessel, rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside the vessel.

(29) "Vessel" includes every description of watercraft on the water, other than a seaplane, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on the water. However, it does not include inner tubes, air mattresses, sailboards, and small rafts or flotation devices or toys customarily used by swimmers.
    Reviewing the regulations applicable to a "Personal flotation device", all I could find was this: (SPOILER: "If another regulation requires a PFD, it must be in working condition and the right size")

From: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=79A.60.140
    (1) The commission shall adopt rules providing for its inspection and approval of the personal flotation devices that may be used to satisfy the requirements of this chapter and governing the manner in which such devices shall be used. The commission shall prescribe the different types of devices that are appropriate for the different uses, such as water skiing or operation of a personal watercraft. In adopting its rules the commission shall consider the United States coast guard rules or regulations. The commission may approve devices inspected and approved by the coast guard without conducting any inspection of the devices itself.

(2) In situations where personal flotation devices are required under provisions of this chapter, the devices shall be in good and serviceable condition and of appropriate size. If they are not, then they shall not be considered as personal flotation devices under such provisions.
    Assuming I've researched the proper regulations, it sounds like a free-for-all as far as the law is concerned with regard to rafts, but if I put a motor on it, I'll need to do some registration & such.

Does anyone see any holes in this conclusion?
    Be dangerous, but good.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Here in Indiana,,if your on State controlled water,,even for a canoe or kayak,,or anything that floats, you have to have a 5.00 decal per year, If its a motorized boat, costs more..not sure if your state charges for float boats so check would be my guess,,happy hanging.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    It will be called a vessel.

A small raft would be those little baffled rafts about 5' long and 3' wide.

The barrels will getchya.

At least that's what happened here in NJ.

Built many rafts in my younger days, huckfin log rafts, 2x4 floats, pontoon rafts, multi hulled canoe based rafts. My fav, the chaise lounge on 2 stacks of inner tubes.

Just take a couple pfd's, a whistle, air horn and go.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    It will be called a vessel.
    Pretty sure this is the case. Make sure you call it a floating hammock stand if anyone asks.

It would take someone with no sense of humor to call you on it I think. But, I wouldn't take it to a busy place on the 4th of July. Nobody working has a sense of humor on busy holidays.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    It might be analogous to a hot rod or self-made travel trailer. I'd take it to the state police to see if they want to register/license it.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    US Army poncho
    Insulation
    thick hide
    Suspension
    Friction clamps

Legal Update

LEGAL UPDATE!

I contacted the Washington State Boating Safety office and here's the short version:
    • It IS a vessel.
    • Since it's a human-powered vessel that is less than 16ft long, I don't have to register it.
    • I need proper PFDs for every person on the raft.
    • I need a whistle/air horn to signal other boats.
    • After dusk, I need to have a light so that other boats can identify me

I sent in pictures of the raft to help explain it and it was pointed out that the barrels once contained DMSO which may have implications on using them for flotation on the water. So now I've contacted the Washington State Ecology Department to find out if there are any regulations that would restrict their use.
    Be dangerous, but good.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Ok, if you can jammed on the barrels, there are others available from your local water purification company that should be good to go.

Lights are easy, west marine can hook you up if they want red and green.

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    Great; so we've got the Boating Commission and EPA in the mix, for a freakin' raft. You should try applying for an exemption from the governor directly--tell him he can use it whenever he's around!

I'm still waiting for video of it in use with a BBQ and tunes blaring . You should still be able to test it out on a privately-owned tank or pond, right?

Battle Ground is a great park, I camped there a number of times in Scouts when I was little. Great fishing hole. Last I remember it had been shut down for E. Coli contamination, and we couldn't swim or fish in it until I moved. No worries about tempests, storms, wakes, or typhoons on a sheltered "lake" that size--perfect for testing a raft.

TCB
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast