Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Hammock Raft

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Are the barrels attached to the frame? Could be a problem when you go over waterfalls.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Wear life vests please. And roll that video.

Plans aft gang agley, but the fun is in the tryin'.

I like it. Needs a rudder for that river run.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    You can make folding out-riggers that lock up and down with a pin, that way you maintain your 6ft width for transport.

Look at how the legs fold and store on a harbor freight 1 ton hoist for an idea on how to do this: http://www.harborfreight.com/shop-cr...ble-69445.html

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

i agree

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Awesome, Ben!

You're plenty stable but any watercraft needs power, steerage, and directional stability. I'd suggest a sculling oar on the back and some kind of keel. You could even float lazy rivers that way. It's a perennial dilemma to loft any kind of fabric -- one often has to choose between wind and weather protection. Any object more than a foot above water will affect your speed and heading..
    i think you will need steerage and directional stability too. I would definately add some sort of a keel it will help you track down river better. and fight the propensity to flip over somewhat.

plus life jacket and water proof camera haha
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    OMG....I'm so changing my dock down at our river cottage!!! I'm leaving the dock as is, which is a dock, not a pontoon, but I'm so adding a hammock stand of some sort to it!! You've inspired me. Have fun on your adventure, take pics, and share with us your results.

How are your barrels attached? Every couple of years the river likes to tear out a few of ours and we have to replace. Major pain.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    I do like that just a bit enviousness I hope all goes well with it

Matt
    You don't have to be mad it just helps

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    US Army poncho
    Insulation
    thick hide
    Suspension
    Friction clamps
    Thanks for all the great feedback so far, a lot of folks have pointed out some things that I either glossed over or simply didn't think of.

Regarding the stability of the raft, I'll definitely be running some tests both on land and in the shallows to see where the tipping points are and determine the necessity of an outrigger. I like the idea of having a swing arm that can be removed for transport.

To the questions of whether or not it will load up on the roof of a Jetta, I plan to try a test load tonight when I get home from work to test that aspect of the design. Part of the plan is to use a 2x4 to help lever the frame up on to the roof rack so that I'm not grinding the frame against the side of the car. I'll be sure to post the pics of the load test.

Steering and power won't be an issue, at least initially, as I plan to give it a few runs on smaller lakes that have little to no current to fight against. I figure that a paddle will be enough to get me out to the middle of the lake, but I'll probably need to add an anchor of some sort to keep me there.

The barrels are held to the frame by lashing paracord through some eye-screws mounted in the bottom of the frame to tie in the ends and criss-cross the bottom of the barrels for additional support.

In my research, I also found an article written by some folks that put 3 people on a similarly designed raft along with enough supplies for 3 days of floating. They loaded their 6'x9' raft on the roof of a small hatchback and were able to get to the water without a problem. A lot of my design inspiration came from their example and story.
    Be dangerous, but good.

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    since you are open in the middle you coud add a electric trolling motor for propulsion with a rear long oar for back up. but i really like the idea

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Your frame is much better than the one in the link, Ben.

A sculling oar would really suit your set-up, rather than rowing with paddles. You could even scull from the hammock! Swinging in the hammock would impart a cool counterweight.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Call me Captain Caution, you wouldn't be the first, but I think I'd invest in a couple of good quality ratcheting straps to tie each barrel to the frame.

And I would definitely not maiden voyage this thing without backup, meaning another boat.

Weather can come in on you amazingly quickly and a little wind could easily defeat you from going the direction you want. I've sure been blown across a lake in a flat bottomed canoe a few times.

Seriously consider a centerboard or leeboard. With your design it would be easy to drop one down that center slot once you're in the water. That would help your stability tremendously.

This thing really does need a small spinnaker. Not much because of the flat fronts on the barrels, but enough to have a little fun with.
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 05-28-2013 at 13:14.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast