Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images

Severe Wind

Last Friday night should have been a heads up - Headed up to Culver's Gap north of Delaware Water Gap (NJ-PA) and the winds exceeded 35mph. Gusts were enough to shake the core of the trees. at 42 degrees day night and the wind chill was close to hypothermia. layered up jumped into the bag rode it from 8pm till midnight & I gave up....I moved the entire Hennessy to a few inches off the ground and used the backpack to block the wind underneath.. To be honest its never been that bad before, and its May... I rode it out well and the next night flipped it so my feet were pointed into the wind - the good news a few hours after sunset, the wind died...

Thoughts?

Is it better to set up sideways? I felt like a pinata...
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

Feet into the wind

On windy nights I have found feet into the wind can make an amazing difference.
    Of course if you are just too cold for your gear, well then ...

The other issue besides being warm enough (and things being blown off into
    the dark night), is just getting some sleep while being buffeted. This is sort
    of a mind game, but I have had some luck "embracing the ride as a good thing"
    and then just falling asleep while being pummeled.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Yes I agree, because of short notice - the 3/4 UQ was left behind as well as a down jacket for camp, stuff I would carry in spring and fall. Going forward I will carry a 3/4 thin foam not inflatable Thermarest cut to size.

I was more wondering if folks park it sideways or feet first?

I might set a poncho wrapped around the front of the tree on my hiking poles.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Tucson Tom, I agree with you 100%. I just love the wind throwing me around, I love the ride. I do batten down my rain fly, make sure everything is secure, I do not want to chase anything down. We mainly hang on the Oregon Coast, so we get lots of storms and wind. I just love it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Location is more important in bad weather. I don't know if this is in line with conventional logic but I try to set up with a tarp end facing into the wind and my doors pitched tight. This presents a narrow profile to the wind and seems to shake the tarp less. I also cannot stress the importance of a flexible guy out system (a.k.a bungee or elastic) this gives the tarp flex and puts less stress on your stakes, guy lines and tarp in high winds.

Attached are pics of a 12'x16' tarp pitched this past weekend on a hill top in southern Indiana. The winds did pick up but I don't know what speeds we had. Wind came up hill in the days and down hill at night. These pics were taken after 3 days at the end of the outting. A tarp this size and weight (3lbs) is next to impossible to pitch tight, and the nylon stretching doesn't make it easier. This pitch required daily adjustment to compensate for the stretch and wind shifting. Take note that all but 2 of the guy out points are bungee'd. Without these the combination of wind forces and any attemps I may make to get a really tight pitch can, and has, stretched tarps beyond useability in a single outing. The flexible elastic and acceptance of a "clean" pitch vs. a tight pitch helps reduce the damage from over stretching.

Working on the pics...
    Warning large file sizes...

pic 1
    pic 2
    pic 3
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 05-29-2013 at 01:21.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I do not personally believe in angling my tarp against, into or anything else regarding the wind. Winds shift; therefore I have doors on my tarp so I don't have to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I do not personally believe in angling my tarp against, into or anything else regarding the wind. Winds shift; therefore I have doors on my tarp so I don't have to worry about it.
    That sums it up

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    The best way to enjoy is to find a sheltered place. You must have been in a bad spot. I would have tried to find a place behind rocks, in between trees, or dare I say it..... on the ground behind some logs. There, I said it. Anywhere you can find a wind break. Don't overlook the lee side of a hill. I am very experienced at this. You should try the Catskills in the very maw of winter.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I set up once on the edge of Glorietta Mesa in NM. The mornings and evenings were awesome but in the heat of the day the mesa dumped air steady right through my camp. Everything had to be battened down. Couldn't think of having a fire until the wind quit about an hour before dark, like clockwork.

But at night the cool of the valley below came up for great sleeping temps.

There was a stand of thick forest not far from my camp. I'd look at it, thinking of moving. But when I finally walked over to check it out the lack of air was stifling and the view was gone!

Next time, Goldilocks, we'll find a place just right!

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    The last time I was up at Culver's Gap I had a similar incident. I camped off the AT just north of the trail for the Buttermilk Falls. It was windy as hell but no rain. I tried to set the tarp up so I was at 45* angle towards the wind. I didnt have elastic tiedowns like I do now and I had to adjust the tarp a few times during the night. Brrr. Yeah, wind shifts so I guess angling the tarp had really no effect.

It would not have been too bad but the one tree on my head side was not real big and it liked to sway in the wind. Everytime a big gust would blow I would get a nice ride. Woke me up a few times. I usually enjoy a slight wind and a comforting rocking motion...but that was a bit much that night....couple times I though I was going to fall out of the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast