Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Standing Indian loop... long winded sorry

Photo slideshow from our triphttp://www.flickr.com/photos/3154371...30382182/show/

First off thank you all for this wonderful resource(HF) which has helped me develop my DIY sleep system....!

well our trip started off on a few bad notes... first we set out every year on an annual hike in November but last year in 08 we missed our trip. This year we decided to go in February to feed our hunger after missing last year. We started off planning with four guys hiking. That changed to three due to the economy strain on one, then to two with the onset of pneumonia a week before our trip. Now 2 days before our trip a fellow fireman was killed in a motorcycle accident. We made the decision to still go and try and make the best out of our trip with just the two of us(Julio and I).

We originally planned to hike from Neel gap to Dicks creek gap in Georgia but with just one car we needed a loop trail. We've done North Carolina's standing Indian loop before and thought it would be even more fun with the chance of snow so we decided to give it a go. We left Florida on Monday morning at 6am and drove strait to the trail head parking lot at rock gap. We arrived at the parking lot at 430pm, snow on the ground! We hiked about 2 miles to glassmine gap which is were the longbranch trail intersects the Appalachian trail(AT). Following that trail there was a perfect little camp site about .2 miles from glassmine gap. We set up camp next to the creek and ate dinner with a small fire in the established pit. This was my first trip with my do it yourself (DIY) down under quilt, DIY black-cat 10'x12' tarp and my new hennessy clone; no net; water proof winter hammock. This setup did great considering my temp gage read 16deg! my backside was nice and toasty but even with booties on, my feet did get cold. I think my cold feet might have been due to my 20deg sleeping bag not being adequate. (No condensation issues at all)! the next morning we were slow getting up due to the cold air but we managed to pack up by 10am. We hiked 2 more miles down to the standing Indian campground along the longbranch creek trail and found a set of two bear prints one large about five inches across and another about three across. the prints were in the snow and melted through to the road with ice sculpting the footprint and nails. We then took the Kimsey creek trail 3.7 miles up to deep gap on the AT. If you haven't hiked this short portion of trails your missing out. It is gorgeous with many little cascades and stream crossings, you might even say that the creek becomes the trail for short portions were rock hopping is the only passage. We made it up and out of there to deep gap by 2pm and continued to press on. We made short work of the 1,160' climb up standing Indian mountain (5,500') but still were losing light while trying to find a camp site. It was hard for me to keep hiking because I could of hung my hammock anywhere up there but Julio was tenting(idiot) and the section from standing Indian to beech gap is on a steep windy ridge with no real flat areas near the trail. We did manage to make it down to Beech gap by 6pm but we put in more miles than we had planned on so we were tired (about 11 miles). We set up camp and ate dinner. Julio started to feel sick so he hit the sack early and I stayed up to listen to the owls over my head calling each other. As I finally laid back to sleep I hear Julio jump up and run towards my hammock and run into just about every thing, he then proceed to through up and burp real loud. I couldn't believe how sick he sounded and then it sounded like he started throwing things around and knocking stuff over. I started getting up to see if he was OK when I realized it wasn't him...... it was growling and snorting. I pooped my pants....! not really but I was scared. I grabbed my 2" pocket knife, opened it and RIIIIIIP! there goes my new tarp! O crud! I was scared and mad!!! so just as I start to collect my self to try and figure out how I am going to defend myself from this rampaging creature I hear a loud squeal and then a kind of Onk Onk. "Ohhh what a wimp I am", it is just a couple of wild bores heading down the ridge tearing though the leaves. They were close and some of the noises they can make are astonishingly scary. They were growling and barking at each other. I had never heard these noises come from a pig before. Anyways as they moved through I could hear Julio still snoring in the background and I thought you have got to be kidding me! hear I am pooping my pants and he gets to sleep through all of this. I wont lie I was jealous! the next morning we got up and moving pretty quick. We continued on the AT up and over Big Butt mountain (not kidding that's the name) and ran into Albert mountain. Albert mountain is a moderate hike but the last 500' of elevation gain is more like a minnie scramble with hands on rock at some points. I really enjoyed that climb. Over that hill(sarcasm) we made it another 3/4 mile to the shelter were we planned to stay the night. It was too early to stop hiking and the weather looked to be coming in on us, also it was 50deg and starting to snow! we high tailed it down out of there and made it six more miles to the car at rock gap. A long day of hiking (15 miles give or take) but well worth the effort. We headed towards blue ridge Ga. in the freezing rain to our friends cabin for the night. All in all we had a great hike and I am thankful I brought a change of underwear! jk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That was a terrific Trip Report......
    I gotta go see those wild pigs!
    Awesome....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great report and nice photos/slideshow. Gives me the fever to try that loop again. Attempted it in December of 2006 in reverse direction. Snow and ice, 24º, 35 mph+ winds first night on Albert. My grandson got his shoes and socks soaked, my hiking buddy was ill prepared (clothes and sleeping bag) so we bailed.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Awesome pics and a great report. Thanks for sharing.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Thanks guys, we did have a blast and I'm glad you liked the trip report. I know I enjoy reading all of your reports and shugs youtube vids, it helps me decide where to hike next!

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Awesome pics and a great report. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks I almost didn't bring the camera but last minute I caved in... it was an old nikon d-50 and 50 1.8 prime lens. thats about as light as I can get a digital slr...

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I really enjoyed your TR and slideshow too! I'm not able to get out there myself right now, so it helped give me a little bit of a fix to help hold me over for now.
    Thanks!
    Perkolady

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    1/2 in tubular web
    Great pix!! You've done some really nice things with your compositions... I wish I could do that.

Brought back some memories... hiked that section of the AT a couple of summers ago (a la drought). Climbed Mt. Albert without water... kinda (mostly) sucked. Down near that Bear Sanctuary sign, we watched a bear sail down the trail at ~30 mph running from a dog. The bear was absolutely silent... the dog was putting up a heck of a racket until it saw us, then it skidded to a stop, turned around, and ran back up the trail in the direction it had come down... I think we must have smelled worse than the bear.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    "Ohhh what a wimp I am", it is just a couple of wild bores...
    I know a lot of people who would prefer to tangle with almost any other wild animal in the woods. Boars can be very bad!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    I really enjoyed your TR and slideshow too! I'm not able to get out there myself right now, so it helped give me a little bit of a fix to help hold me over for now.
    Thanks!
    Perkolady
    Thanks, Im glad I could help out

Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast