Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

"Pitched low"?

It's supposed to storm pretty good here (NE CT) this evening, so I decided it's the perfect time to try out something other than porch mode. I've seen people say to pitch the tarp low to the hammock, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not ruining the tarp. When I'm in the hammock, nothing touches, but when I'm out... uploadfromtaptalk1369861547188.jpguploadfromtaptalk1369861568614.jpg

On a side note, HammockForums is awesome by itself, reading HammockForums from my hammock? Phenomenal!

Hammock
    My Modded TW hammock
    Tarp
    Alpkit
    Insulation
    UK custom 75% UQ.
    Suspension
    Erm. . Custom.
    Can I chime in because I'm a low pitcher? I try to get mine to within a few inches off the ground With no harm to tarp.. . But then, not being tall I can get underneath my half porch mode okay. When raining it does gets tricky - a quick drop down of the porch and then enter fom the head end... hard to know what's best for you (others might well have better answers). Weather sheild deployed, it should be fine pitched higher..

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Re: "Pitched low"?

The bottom of the tarp is probably 6-8 inches from the ground & out far enough that it's tough to reach

I imagine I'd be pretty safe with a "low porch", but wanted to see how weather proof it could get (without doors).

It's a squeeze to get in there, but still better than getting on my hands & knees like a tent!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    High and porch mode is for little wind and no more than light rain. The stronger the wind and/or heavier the rain the lower and steeper the pitch one needs to keep dry inside. Flat pitches like porch mode also tend to collect a puddle that will grow as the tarp sags until something gives.

FWIW while I like porch mode for socializing and maybe the view I also always pitch with enough slope so as not to collect much water if it rains. The more wind and lower the temperature the more likely I am to go lower with the tarp and/or build a wall on the windward side. The less air movement around the hammock the warmer one is. Conversely higher and flatter for hotter but always a drainage path. Saves popping tent pegs or breaking lines and pull outs.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I was out on a trip and they were calling for snow that evening. I had a HG Hex tarp which has a RL length of 10' 10" and 8.5 wide. I pitched it pretty much all the way to the ground and really tight against the hammock and even though I had to crawl into my hammock (I am 6ft) it kept me perfectly dry inside. From the pictures it looks like your tarp is set up great to weather a big storm especially in a WL Big Daddy its a great tarp. Now I am not sure what you mean by "ruining" the tarp? What exactly are you worried about? If its your hammock suspension rubbing against the tarp well Ive been using a sil tarp for 4yrs now and various types of Cuben tarps for about two years and none of my tarps have yet to show any signs of wear where the hammock suspension runs underneath the tarp.

And lastly (then Ill stop babbling ) Another option would be to purchase a UQP from 2QZQ or any sort of UQP. This will allow you to pitch the tarp higher up in storms and the UQP will protect your UQ from splashing rain from underneath. Hope this helps.

Happy Hanging and Stay Dry.

LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Thanks for all the responses. I was worried the tarp might be damaged by the hammock suspension (webbing buckles) from rubbing or something along the tarp ridge.

The tarp is pitched pretty steep, at 6'3" I'm definitely squeezing in. I actually adjusted the other side out more, so that when my feet are in the footbox, it won't rub the tarp (I figured it might be similar to touching the sides of a tent in the rain?)

I've yet to deal with any bad weather, but I'm almost thinking I can get the tarp to the ground if I hang my hammock a bit lower, so that could help too. Guess I'll see in the morning! Luckily, it's supposed to also be pretty warm tonight, so if I DID get splashed, it wouldn't result in freezing.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Everything was dry this morning and the lightening was fun to watch through the tarp! Stayed nice & quiet warm with just my UQ, but pulled my sleeping bag over my feet around 2am.

I need to upgrade my tie outs.. My 550 cord held up, but it stretches. I probably could have woke up & tightened everything up, but the wind & rain had stopped so I just went back to sleep!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Don't know if you want to risk it, ..but you could add a couple of attachment loops half way up both sides of your tarp. Pulling them out then, will significantly increase the room you have inside.

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Is that low? I always pitch like this.
    The syntactical nature of reality, the real secret of magic, is that the world is made of words. And if you know the words that the world is made of, you can make of it whatever you wish.
    – Terence McKenna

Nick's Hi-Tech Pressure Washing

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If I'm concerned about the wind I hang the hammock a little lower if I can and still get a good hang.

And then bring the tarp down and angle out as much as I can with out getting to much wind under me, but my UQ do a pretty good job, cause when I bring it to the down to ground it does get tight, and I'm not 6'3, but I have done it.

I've thought about adding a couple of these to my kits for those times to help open up the interior space a little. http://dutchwaregear.com/clip-on-tarp-pull-outs.html
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast