Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    The WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Double ring

First trip with my blackbird...60 miles on the A.T.

I just finished up a 60 mile hike on the A.T. finishing up the GA section of trail. My first trip using my blackbird 1.1 double layer. Loooooved. Also purchased the Yeti under quilt and the top quilt, I forget the name of it but it is warbonnet's top quilt, the 20 degree one. Also got the mama jamba tarp.

Everything is simply, craftsmanship from head to toe. My baseweight in my pack is just over 15lbs, that's with a heavy atmos 65 pack by osprey. After 60 miles on the A.T. I didn't get any blisters, knee or ankle pains and could have hiked another 60 miles or even 120 if I had time to do it.

I got a great night's sleep everynight, had two storms with winds over 15mph. The tarp's side panels are great for the wind. Also it dipped down to 28 one night at Blue Mtn Shelter, one of the windiest places on the A.T. I stayed warm and toasty at that temp. I also had a piece of foam for a footbox. Just a simple blue piece I purchased at REI that is actually a seat. Worked perfect for my feet.

It took a night or two to get use to using the underquilt and the foam pad in the footbox but after two nights I was good to go. It's difficult to move the underquilt while laying in the hammock, much easier to get out and adjust it. Just set it right at your shoulder line and you'll be fine. Also be sure the line on the footbox side sits above your feet and not below it.

I am so happy with this set up, everynight I camped at a shelter I would get 2 to 3 other hikers come over and quiz me about the set up having no clue what warbonnet was.

Here is a quick vid I did recapping my trip. The hammock set up makes a few cameo's in the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HBTzzZhOLY

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    The WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Double ring

A pic of my set up

I put my backpack on the head end of my hammock to lower it more, I hooked it with a carabeaner then clipped the shoulder strap over the suspension. Not sure if I should just leave it on the ground with the rainfly facing down in the future by my hammock, then place my shoes on top of that.

Still working out the tiny things. I hang my hiking shorts, shirt and socks on the ridgeline and put it down near the foot end of the hammock. The shelf works great. I put everything in there other than my food and cooking stuff.

I can't figure out how to upload images to this thread.
    Last edited by Randy Lee; 05-29-2013 at 21:06. Reason: trying to upload pictures

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL - 144" TadPole
    Insulation
    WL -3/4UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Lee View Post
    I just finished up a 60 mile hike on the A.T. finishing up the GA section of trail. My first trip using my blackbird 1.1 double layer. Loooooved. Also purchased the Yeti under quilt and the top quilt, I forget the name of it but it is warbonnet's top quilt, the 20 degree one. Also got the mama jamba tarp.

Everything is simply, craftsmanship from head to toe. My baseweight in my pack is just over 15lbs, that's with a heavy atmos 65 pack by osprey. After 60 miles on the A.T. I didn't get any blisters, knee or ankle pains and could have hiked another 60 miles or even 120 if I had time to do it.

I got a great night's sleep everynight, had two storms with winds over 15mph. The tarp's side panels are great for the wind. Also it dipped down to 28 one night at Blue Mtn Shelter, one of the windiest places on the A.T. I stayed warm and toasty at that temp. I also had a piece of foam for a footbox. Just a simple blue piece I purchased at REI that is actually a seat. Worked perfect for my feet.

It took a night or two to get use to using the underquilt and the foam pad in the footbox but after two nights I was good to go. It's difficult to move the underquilt while laying in the hammock, much easier to get out and adjust it. Just set it right at your shoulder line and you'll be fine. Also be sure the line on the footbox side sits above your feet and not below it.

I am so happy with this set up, everynight I camped at a shelter I would get 2 to 3 other hikers come over and quiz me about the set up having no clue what warbonnet was.

Here is a quick vid I did recapping my trip. The hammock set up makes a few cameo's in the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HBTzzZhOLY
    Very kewl video bro

South Carolina Mike

Getting Begun is Only Half Done

http://www.youtube.com/user/SouthCarolinaMike

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I agree with you on Blue Mountain Shelter. The two times I planned to end my day there I pushed on because the wind was so brutal. Glad you're liking the setup.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors
    Nice video, liked the music

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    very nice video, glad you enjoyed your time on the trail so is kelly knob still straight up??????
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

• + New Posts