Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images

Buffalo National River, again

Me and a my buddy (a ground dweller) left on Sunday 5/19. We went up river this year to Kyle's Landing the first night. The river was low........Monday. We camped at Ozark on Monday night, 5/20. The excellent park host kept everyone off the river and we had hourly updates as those storms that wrecked Moore Oklahoma, headed to us. I got in my WBBB 1.1 DL with my summer WB top and bottom quilt at 8:30 and awaited "the blast". I used my new Superfly tarp. I didn't have the side pulls staked out, which I should have. The thunder, lightening, heavy ran, and high winds hit us full on at 9:15 and went full blast until after midnight. All my gear was dry and I fell asleep after that. The storm raged on. My gear worked just great. In the morning, I awoke to winds hitting the tarp and some moisture coming off it and into my bug netting. I just kept sleeping (the side pull outs would have stopped that). We got up anyway, moved to the pavillion to let things dry out. The river was up 4 inches that day, giving us several Class-2 Rapids to contend with.
    We proceeded down river, pulling out at noon on Friday, doing 60 miles in four days. We camped at camp grounds every night. Due to budget issues, every other camp area is locked (no water, no bathrooms/latrines). But we were at open ones.
    Tuesday, we put in and walked our first (of two) loads up to the camp area. Low and behold....HAmmock Hangers! Four guys hanging. They were eager to help anyone, cutting down some weeds for my set up. THey had spent the day there, hanging, fishing and drinking (they had a relative near to resupply them). Hammockers are the nicest. We declined them hauling up our gear, as we do it in two trips. Another canoe person pulled in and took them up on their offer to help. He had a LOAD in that canoe, as he was out for like 10 days. The four hammockers just picked up his fully loaded canoe and carried it up off the river.
    My worst hang was at Woolum, which is mostly a horse camp. I had to hang above "leavings" to be in the trees.
    So, WB gear survived 40 MPH winds, heavy rains, etc. A great test of my gear in adverse weather.
    Seen on the river: Deer (countless), ELK! (reintroduced), turtles, an otter, two bald eagles, fish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rhjanes; 05-30-2013 at 21:20. Reason: added photos. One is from start of trip, showing low and smaller river, other is after the rains and 59 miles down river
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The Buff is a real gem, a treasure.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts