Hammock
    Homade Speer type
    Tarp
    Homade

DIY zipper/velcro Before or after?

I have the material for my hammock, but not the bugnet part of it. I have read most of the threads and watched the videos too. Do most "DIY hangers" sew the zipper or the velcro on before gathering the ends? It seems like it would be easier before? Unless there is an advantage to doing it when the fabric is tied off?

Is it possible to find a 2 way seperating zipper that both ends zip toward the middle? The ones I have seen allow the ends to seperate while the pull is in the middle. like a jacket does.
    I saw one picture of this type of setup, but the zipper sites don't seem to show this.

Rick

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by krwitkowski View Post
    I have the material for my hammock, but not the bugnet part of it. I have read most of the threads and watched the videos too. Do most "DIY hangers" sew the zipper or the velcro on before gathering the ends? It seems like it would be easier before? Unless there is an advantage to doing it when the fabric is tied off?

Is it possible to find a 2 way seperating zipper that both ends zip toward the middle? The ones I have seen allow the ends to seperate while the pull is in the middle. like a jacket does.
    I saw one picture of this type of setup, but the zipper sites don't seem to show this.

Rick
    CHECK OUT - Outdoorwildernessfabrics its where brandon the WBG sent me and got the 3# zipper and also ordered the zipper pulls to go with i ordered like 50' of the stuff.

TY

Images
    I am working on my first hammock with a zippered bugnet and decided to sew the zipper on first. The reason for doing this was that I think it looks better. If you hem first and install the zipper later, the stitch lines are probably not really parallel.
    Rick
    With a separating zipper, I think you are stuck with the way it is made. For a non-separating zipper, you can install the pulls on the end such that the zipper opens and closes the way you want.

Rick
    No experience with hammocks, but I have seen many bags with zippers (think luggage) that work this way. I don't know a ton about zippers but I would imagine that it can be done.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A separating zipper requires a certain configuration of zipper pulls. They will only separate one way. If you want to use coil zipper tape you can make various configurations. However coil zipper tape will not be a separating zipper.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts