Thread: Finally did it!

Finally did it!

So I've been trying to figure out what hammock I want and what hammock to suit my needs. I thought I'd set my mind on an Appalachian hammock, but I'm kinda impatient and they are slow to get back to me. So in my waiting around and surfing the forum, I found a GT Nano 7 for sale. It's one of the original hammocks I had in mind and at a great price, so I pulled the trigger. Soon I shall receive my first hammock ever! I'm super excited and I'm in the process of trying to buy everything else I will need to hang in it. So far I know I will be getting a set of whoopie slings for sure. I already own a sleeping bag and sleeping pad. I know I need tree straps as well. I'm just not sure what kind will suit me. I will be using this hammock for backpacking and would like to keep it light. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Finally did it!

Welcome to the craziness. I have never seen a GT nano but heard a lot if good things about them. Good luck. If you have any questions about mods. Which I am confident you will don't hesitate to ask.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I tried a pad in the hammock my first time a few months ago and it did not work very well so I did a mod on a older Marmot bag for an under quilt -- it's great.

Since it is now hot here in the South where we live you could get some fleece at Wal-Mart or do a PLUQ, which is a modified poncho liner. The under quilts made by our cottage vendors are awesome -- you can't go wrong. My budget is tight so I must DIY. If you have the money a nice UQ or two will be your best move.

I have three suspension systems: whoopies, strap and buckle, and Mike's SLS. I'm planning a (car camping) trip to Arkansas soon, which has no lack of trees so my thoughts are running to the strap and buckle system that I got from Warbonnet -- they are quick and easy but not the lightest. My SLS is light but fiddly. I made it to work with long hangs like we get here in treeless areas of the country. Olddog has a great SLS as does headchange4you and bearchaser. For the lightest suspension systems see what Sgt. Rock does but ... you're gonna die!

What will you do for a tarp? I watched Sgt Rock's video and am making a DIY cuben tarp -- think it will turn out great.

You've come to the right place.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. I'm sure I will find myself at some point deep into modding. As like you, MDSH, I am on a budget. So for now, no cuben tarp for me :-( Although if not so expensive, I'd love to have one. I'm thinking, for a tarp, possibly fabbing one up out of sil nylon or tyvek. I will probably try out the sleeping pad for now, or without in the warmer weather, but eventually probably end up with an UQ.

Speaking of which, what are you using as a tarp ridge line and guy lines?

Hammock
    DD frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    PLUQ & PLOQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Re: Finally did it!

I keep hearing about zing-it for tarp lines.

Right now I'm using paracord but I'll be switching that out soon.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninRone22 View Post
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. I'm sure I will find myself at some point deep into modding. As like you, MDSH, I am on a budget. So for now, no cuben tarp for me :-( Although if not so expensive, I'd love to have one. I'm thinking, for a tarp, possibly fabbing one up out of sil nylon or tyvek. I will probably try out the sleeping pad for now, or without in the warmer weather, but eventually probably end up with an UQ.

Speaking of which, what are you using as a tarp ridge line and guy lines?
    I use this: http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/pro...yline-300.html

But wish that I had got this because it is so versatile, can be spliced, and the other kinks: http://www.reddenmarine.com/samson-rope-lash-it.html

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DD frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    PLUQ & PLOQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Re: Finally did it!

Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    I use this: http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/pro...yline-300.html

But wish that I had got this because it is so versatile and the other kinks: http://www.reddenmarine.com/samson-rope-lash-it.html

Apparently zing it is the same as lash it. Just different color.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Hi from just down the road from you!!! Welcome to your new addiction. Hope you can join us on a group hang. If you are on FB and haven't done so, find our group page. The link is in my signature.

As for tree straps, just be sure to stay away from nylon since they stretch. There are lots of options to choose from. Many of the cottage vendors sell straps, you could make your own, pick up some ratchet straps, or Atlas straps.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

• + New Posts