AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Maine Hanging - Acadia and Baxter SP

Hello everyone!

I'm planning a trip this June to Maine. Specifically, we'll be staying at blackwoods campground within Acadia NP and roaring brook campground in BSP.

How is the hanging in those areas? Anything I should be mindful of? Any local tips would be appreciated! I'm planning on bringing a backup tent, if need be depending on the site conditions.

What are the must hike routes in Acadia? We'll be staying a couple of days, with parts spent in Bar Harbor (Whale watching, kayaking).

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Two words

Lobster Pound !!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Been awhile since we camped there and we were at the Seawall Campground in an RV. Haven't done a lot of hiking in the park yet but one of our favorite short hikes is Wonderland between the Seawall and the Bass Harbor Light. Favorite lobster pound is Trenton Bridge Lobsters just as you're entering Mt. Dessert Island. Red and white and on the right at the bridge. Normally packed with cars but in June the heavy tourist season hasn't really kicked in yet. You will want to get up on top of Cadillac Mountain for the view. Spent 5 summers in Maine and then had to miss the last 2, will be headed back that way in 8 days. I'm planning on setting up a hang with Hammock Forum members in the area of Frankfort toward the end of June on our 25 acres keep an eye open for the post after I get up that way.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Lucky you! Acadia is one of the most beautiful spots on earth, in my opinion. However the last time I was there was just before my hanging days.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    The hidden gem, in my opinion is to combine the Valley Peak and the Flying Mountain trail. Here is a link to one version of this loop. http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=362281 Get a good trail map and you can see there are a couple of ways to make it longer or shorter. It is off the beaten trail, you will probably have it to yourself.

If you aren't scared of heights, the Beehive is a must. It scared me to death, but my wife loved it. (I know, I am a wimp) It was pretty awesome to say I did it however. You go up the steep part and then back down a cool trail on the other side until it loops back to the start. Here is a link. http://www.mainetrailfinder.com/Trai...-beehive-loop/

If you check beehive trail on youtube, there are some cool videos. Here is one. check out the climb at 2:30. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq5IatIQ5pY Have fun, and eat lobster.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet BMJ
    Insulation
    Hammockgear Addict
    Ok... Depending on what you are looking for -

ACADIA
    Classic Hikes - Convenient to Blackwoods

Cadillac Mountain via South Ridge Trail - can walk from Blackwoods campground. Some elevation gain, but if you're aiming at Baxter, it should be a breeze. A lot of time above treeline, and gorgeous scenery on a clear day. Did my first "trail run" heading down - breeze in my face, hills and ocean, and a gentle downhill - a bit 'rooty' at the lower elevation by the campground.

If crowds are a bother, nearby Dorr Mtn up the Ladder Trail and loop back around any of the ridge trails for a pleasant hike. You'll notice some perspective issues. The mountains here are relatively short but seem larger. For perspective, you (or at least loudmouth me) can yell from the summit of Dorr to the people on Cadillac.

Short and Steep - The Beehive. Lotsa fun if you like steel rungs in your climb. If you need more, the Precipice Trail (when not closed for Falcon nesting) is wild as well. If you or any member of your group have a fear of heights - these trails are not recommended.

'The Bubbles' are a short fun hike as well. Easy to throw in when driving the auto road or stopping by Jordan Pond for the traditional popover. (Edit - When hiking the bubbles, be sure to get the classic forced-perspective pictures at bubble rock (an oddly balanced large glacial erratic near the summit) to delight and amaze your facebook friends stuck in cubicles.)

For flatter, relaxed hiking - Ocean Path to Otter Rocks, can walk across Sand Beach (which is not sand) and add the Great Head trail. Both of these trails are pleasant enough in fog, though visibility improves things.

In town, a couple of good ice cream shops, Bill & Bobs is my favorite. Where else can you sample Lobster Ice Cream? The walk to Bar Island over the tidal path is a neat way to get away from in-town crowds, but watch the time and tide charts or you may wind up out there longer than planned. Don't ask me how I know...

Hard to go wrong. A beautiful area, and the Ranger Programs were surprisingly decent. Hope you have a great trip.

Outside town, I found the oceanarium quite charming... talk to mainers about lobsters and lobsterin'. Then go eat 'em at the nearby pound.

As a good practice for Baxter, bring everything you can with you. Expenses can rack up quicker than expected, as it's a long drive for cheaper priced supplies. The Otter Creek store is a convenient source of ice and local microbrews
    Last edited by McRat; 05-31-2013 at 15:47. Reason: Yeah... I though more details were needed. Blame it on the Aspergers. :)

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Last year, some of the loops were closed as they are privately owned. Messed up one of my bike rides.

Get a good guide book.

Bike riding is a blast in Acadia.

Try to catch a sunrise at Cadillac if you can.

And some popovers from Jordon Pond House.

View from my campsite
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO DN/DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Two words

Lobster Pound !!
    Thanks! I've actually never had lobster before, to be honest. I know it is a must have on this trip!

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Favorite lobster pound is Trenton Bridge Lobsters just as you're entering Mt. Dessert Island. Red and white and on the right at the bridge. Normally packed with cars but in June the heavy tourist season hasn't really kicked in yet.
    We'll have to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Lucky you! Acadia is one of the most beautiful spots on earth, in my opinion. However the last time I was there was just before my hanging days.
    That's what I keep hearing. We've been out west and around the great lakes quite a bit, but never to the north east. I'm excited for some different scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    The hidden gem, in my opinion is to combine the Valley Peak and the Flying Mountain trail. Here is a link to one version of this loop. http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=362281 Get a good trail map and you can see there are a couple of ways to make it longer or shorter. It is off the beaten trail, you will probably have it to yourself.

If you aren't scared of heights, the Beehive is a must. It scared me to death, but my wife loved it. (I know, I am a wimp) It was pretty awesome to say I did it however. You go up the steep part and then back down a cool trail on the other side until it loops back to the start. Here is a link. http://www.mainetrailfinder.com/Trai...-beehive-loop/

If you check beehive trail on youtube, there are some cool videos. Here is one. check out the climb at 2:30. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq5IatIQ5pY Have fun, and eat lobster.
    Thanks for the links. I'm not entirely sure about the trails with the ladder rungs on em'. Maybe once we are there I will get the courage!

Quote Originally Posted by McRat View Post
    Ok... Depending on what you are looking for -

ACADIA
    Classic Hikes - Convenient to Blackwoods

Cadillac Mountain via South Ridge Trail - can walk from Blackwoods campground. Some elevation gain, but if you're aiming at Baxter, it should be a breeze. A lot of time above treeline, and gorgeous scenery on a clear day. Did my first "trail run" heading down - breeze in my face, hills and ocean, and a gentle downhill - a bit 'rooty' at the lower elevation by the campground.

If crowds are a bother, nearby Dorr Mtn up the Ladder Trail and loop back around any of the ridge trails for a pleasant hike. You'll notice some perspective issues. The mountains here are relatively short but seem larger. For perspective, you (or at least loudmouth me) can yell from the summit of Dorr to the people on Cadillac.

Short and Steep - The Beehive. Lotsa fun if you like steel rungs in your climb. If you need more, the Precipice Trail (when not closed for Falcon nesting) is wild as well. If you or any member of your group have a fear of heights - these trails are not recommended.

'The Bubbles' are a short fun hike as well. Easy to throw in when driving the auto road or stopping by Jordan Pond for the traditional popover. (Edit - When hiking the bubbles, be sure to get the classic forced-perspective pictures at bubble rock (an oddly balanced large glacial erratic near the summit) to delight and amaze your facebook friends stuck in cubicles.)

For flatter, relaxed hiking - Ocean Path to Otter Rocks, can walk across Sand Beach (which is not sand) and add the Great Head trail. Both of these trails are pleasant enough in fog, though visibility improves things.

In town, a couple of good ice cream shops, Bill & Bobs is my favorite. Where else can you sample Lobster Ice Cream? The walk to Bar Island over the tidal path is a neat way to get away from in-town crowds, but watch the time and tide charts or you may wind up out there longer than planned. Don't ask me how I know...

Hard to go wrong. A beautiful area, and the Ranger Programs were surprisingly decent. Hope you have a great trip.

Outside town, I found the oceanarium quite charming... talk to mainers about lobsters and lobsterin'. Then go eat 'em at the nearby pound.

As a good practice for Baxter, bring everything you can with you. Expenses can rack up quicker than expected, as it's a long drive for cheaper priced supplies. The Otter Creek store is a convenient source of ice and local microbrews
    Wow! Great info. Thanks for sharing the details. We'll plan on bringing what we can to Baxter. We'll only be staying there 2 nights and attempting the climb up starting pretty early after the 1st night. We are looking for a variety of hikes from a couple hours to shorter hikes that we can fit in depending on what else we are doing that day.

Last year, some of the loops were closed as they are privately owned. Messed up one of my bike rides.

Get a good guide book.

Bike riding is a blast in Acadia.

Try to catch a sunrise at Cadillac if you can.

And some popovers from Jordon Pond House.

View from my campsite
    Nice! I've scene a lot of sunsets on Lake Michigan, but not really any sunrises. That would be a good change of pace . Any guide books that people have used which they recommend?

Hammock
    Home Made
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10 Tan
    Insulation
    working on a UQ
    Suspension
    switch to whoopie

Two words

Lobster Pound !!
    Steam calms cold beer!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mainewoods View Post
    Steam calms cold beer!
    When there 3 years ago actually got tired of lobster, good year for lobster eaters, $4.95/ lb and switched over to clams. OMG. probably not a good year for the lobsters. But I prefer some of the local ales over the run of the mill beers.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts