Hammock
    11' DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Smokehouse HM Su
    Insulation
    sleeping bag conv
    Suspension
    Web and rings
    Atlanta SP (just north of Caddo Lake SP in NE Texas) was really hanger friendly. We had a great time at the group hang we had last January. Just 1 more to add to your potentials list.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    Thanks a ton.

So far, we've hung at some nice places in May and June.
    Fairfield Lake State Park-amazing location, great staff, saw a Bald Eagle, just not swim friendly in the summer time with the hot lake, but still had an amazing time.
    Tyler SP-great place, no issues.
    Turner Falls-Not TX but close enough to a lot of folks. Hammock friendly, spectacular falls and nice hiking trails.
    Bob Sandlin-We hiked in a primitive site, set up and had no issues. We didn't spend a lot of time here, it was more of a hike in, set up, cook, sleep, wake up, hike out and leave as we had to get back home for work.

We're planning Lost Maples in the fall, several other places as well, plus our big trip with the kids in July will be Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas.

Hammock
    11' DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Smokehouse HM Su
    Insulation
    sleeping bag conv
    Suspension
    Web and rings
    You'll love Eagle Rock Loop. That has to be one of my favorite places. I always want to go back.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyz View Post
    Atlanta SP (just north of Caddo Lake SP in NE Texas) was really hanger friendly. We had a great time at the group hang we had last January. Just 1 more to add to your potentials list.
    One of my favorites! ASP is a wonderful park.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Fairfield State Park is extremely hammock friendly. They do allow you to hang somewhat outside the "normal" tent sites, but that's not usually required as there are plenty of trees right near the picnic tables and fire pits. There's an annual group hang there every year. Last year we had close to 100 people hanging. The best area is the Springfield camping area.
    Home away from home to me. Watch for the November Hang planning thread... I'll most likely start it in late July or early August. The date is on the main HF Calendar in case you want to save it.

Quote Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
    Thanks a ton guys. Ray Roberts looks like a winner for now, but Eisenhower and Fairfield look nice too.
    Never been to Ray Roberts so I'll defer to swoody126 but I have done a recon trip by Eisenhower. It is a nice place with a few trees for hanging. If you are looking for a place for multiple hammocks, it may not work but it does have sites doable for one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    It's a little farther east, but Caddo Lake State Park is also hammock friendly. There's been some group hangs there in the past, and it has numerous hanging sites.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Guyz View Post
    ++1

Quote Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
    So far, we've hung at some nice places in May and June. Fairfield Lake State Park-amazing location, great staff, saw a Bald Eagle, just not swim friendly in the summer time with the hot lake, but still had an amazing time.
    Enjoyed the "campfire" time with you at Fairfield. Look forward to hanging with you folks again down the road.

a3m0n, If you're looking for a place closer to San Angelo this page may help.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle NX-250
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Re: (TX) Hammock Friendly State Parks (tree wise)

Quote Originally Posted by a3m0n View Post
    I'm going to be doing some training at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX from Sept - Feb this year. Is San Angelo state park a good place to hang? I haven't gotten a hammock yet, but plan to get one in a few weeks and get familiar with it before I go.

Thanks!
    Enjoy the nasty concho water.. I spent 14 weeks at goodfellow back in 06/07.. good luck.

I was at Sheppard in 07, loved tech school so much I'm going back (sarcasm).

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by a3m0n View Post
    I'm going to be doing some training at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX from Sept - Feb this year. Is San Angelo state park a good place to hang? I haven't gotten a hammock yet, but plan to get one in a few weeks and get familiar with it before I go.

Thanks!
    San Angelo Native here.... The park has over 50 miles of trail. Most of which I've mountain biked. I'm sure there are places where you can hang but most of the trees are bushy desert variety which would be difficult to hang out. A better option but not primitive would be the Goodfellow Rec Camp right by Lake Newsworthy (aka. Lake Nasty Water).

Link to info on rec camp here

There are lots of places around Lake Nasworthy that you can hammock hang from for sure. It's city park property and at least 10 years ago when I was a ground dweller I remember no permits or fees were required...it's free!

PM me when you are in San Angelo and I'll send you some links to specific spots around the lake that I've camped at. Also, I've got family there so we go back once a month or so. Maybe we can hang together sometime.

Oh as an FYI, the drinking water in San Angelo tasted bad do some people so get a filter or drink bottled. At restaurants as if water is filtered. And the strange thing about San Angelo compared to other places in Texas is that the Tex-Mex usually comes with a side of cole-slaw but not all you can eat flour tortillas. Some good Chinese food can be found at the Airport Cafe.

Specifically near San Angelo as far as state parks are concerned and hammock hangn' my bets are South Llano River SP and Lake Brownwood SP. Once again I've camped at both when I was a ground dweller and if memory serves correct there were ample trees.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I know this thread is a few months old, but I just saw it, and figured I'd chime in for anyone else looking for hammock-friendly state parks near DFW.

Right in the middle of the metroplex, you have Cedar Hill -- we've gone there a couple of times, although you're exchanging gas prices for campsite prices -- it's around $20 last we checked for the water/electric only sites. We hiked by the primitive sites a few times, but they mainly look to be clearings in a thorny mess, plus the trails leading to them are always closed if there's been rain. Overall, not bad, but drive around the park and select several sites before telling them which one you want - there's a bunch of good ones, but quite a few that have poor spacing, as well.

Cleburne state park, to the southwest, has a number of good sites, and they just opened up a new park store/paddling rental spot on the lake. As an added bonus, if you have ground-dwellers going along, there are several screened shelters with appropriate trees right next to them.

Dinosaur Valley, near Glen Rose, also has a few good spots, some even along the Paluxy River. good hiking, several geocaches, dinosaur tracks, and a big swimming hole make this park a nice choice.

Meridian Lake is our favorite camping state park, especially in bluebonnet season. In the water-only sites, there is an abundance of cedar trees perfect for hammocking. They're in the process of building some more sites on the far side of the lake, and some of them also look like they'll be good for hammocks. Some nice hiking trails, a decent swimming beach, a couple caves, and a small waterfall (when the rains have been good) -- plus, this one is a little out of the way, so it doesn't often fill up before you get there to camp.

Possum Kingdom -- we've camped in the primitive area for a couple nights before going to paddle down the Brazos, so we don't know much about the park itself, aside from needing to bring your own water, unless they now have potable water at the park (it's been a couple years)

Bob Sandlin, out east, had some great hammock sites -- I think we were out there for the Perseids a couple years ago. While you're there, drop into Pittsburg to try the East Texas-style hot links (meant to be eaten with tobasco and saltines), and a railroad museum featuring the Ezekiel airship, supposedly constructed based on biblical verse and flown before the Wright brothers.

Tyler is a given - although you might want a fan in your hammock - it can get really still and muggy back in the trees.

Fairfield - well, duh, of course this one's good.

Fort Parker (near Mexia) - most of the sites don't really have good hammock spots, but a couple toward the back of the park are good, if a bit prone to skeeters - they're also within hiking distance of the paddling rental. If you rent early enough, they'll shuttle the boat to the put-in for the state-designated paddling trail in the area, but we were perfectly happy just putting in at the take-out in the park, and just paddling upstream.
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Thank you for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew2000tx View Post
    San Angelo Native here.... The park has over 50 miles of trail. Most of which I've mountain biked. I'm sure there are places where you can hang but most of the trees are bushy desert variety which would be difficult to hang out. A better option but not primitive would be the Goodfellow Rec Camp right by Lake Newsworthy (aka. Lake Nasty Water).

Link to info on rec camp here

There are lots of places around Lake Nasworthy that you can hammock hang from for sure. It's city park property and at least 10 years ago when I was a ground dweller I remember no permits or fees were required...it's free!

PM me when you are in San Angelo and I'll send you some links to specific spots around the lake that I've camped at. Also, I've got family there so we go back once a month or so. Maybe we can hang together sometime.

Oh as an FYI, the drinking water in San Angelo tasted bad do some people so get a filter or drink bottled. At restaurants as if water is filtered. And the strange thing about San Angelo compared to other places in Texas is that the Tex-Mex usually comes with a side of cole-slaw but not all you can eat flour tortillas. Some good Chinese food can be found at the Airport Cafe.

Specifically near San Angelo as far as state parks are concerned and hammock hangn' my bets are South Llano River SP and Lake Brownwood SP. Once again I've camped at both when I was a ground dweller and if memory serves correct there were ample trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast