Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie

(TX) Hammock Friendly State Parks (tree wise)

Looking for some quick get aways with our new hammocks, mostly just some quick one nighters near our house, pretty much any place in N. Texas. Was looking at Lake Lavon, but after checking satellite imagery, I see a lot of tent sites with very few trees. Turner Falls in Oklahoma is another option, pending weather, really not gonna take a chance in OK right now with all the tornado activity. Anyone have any input or past trips that would be worthy?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Fairfield State Park is extremely hammock friendly. They do allow you to hang somewhat outside the "normal" tent sites, but that's not usually required as there are plenty of trees right near the picnic tables and fire pits. There's an annual group hang there every year. Last year we had close to 100 people hanging. The best area is the Springfield camping area.

LBJ National Grasslands up near Decatur is also a good spot if you like primitive camping, but has few developed campsites

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Ike, on Texoma. Excellent park...a no-brainer from where you live. Get a reservation this time of year.

Lake Murray is a beautiful, clear water lake just south of Ardmore. Many trees, but OK parks are not as nice as the TX parks I've visited.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    JOHNSON BRANCH(north side of lake) OF RAY ROBERT'S STATE PARK

ISLE DU BOIS (HQ/south side of lake) OF RAY ROBERT'S STATE PARK

both have trees & facilities

have camped in both CG's w/ hangers

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    Thanks a ton guys. Ray Roberts looks like a winner for now, but Eisenhower and Fairfield look nice too. I've also been trying to speak with some folks over at Lake Lavon, 15 minutes from my house, and see if they'll allow hammocks since they're US Army COE, I don't have any information on what they think about hammock hanging.
    Last edited by mark996; 06-01-2013 at 23:29.

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Sleep bag
    Suspension
    Home made Whoopies
    Turner Falls would actually be a good spot even with the current Tornado activity. They have shelters there or near by, shelters open to public anyways. The most common problem at Turner Falls this time of year isn't tornadoes but flooding. If the water is high stay put. The low water bridge gets people every year. (Grew up 15 mins from Turner Falls)

I will however second the Murray near Ardmore and Lake Texhoma.

Also consider Chickasaw National Recreation Area in Sulphur. Two lakes, a cold water stream, Buffalo pastor, and Miles of trails.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
    Thanks a ton guys. Ray Roberts looks like a winner for now, but Eisenhower and Fairfield look nice too. I've also been trying to speak with some folks over at Lake Lavon, 15 minutes from my house, and see if they'll allow hammocks since they're US Army COE, I don't have any information on what they think about hammock hanging.
    Asking just provides an opportunity for "No." If something is not not visibly proscribed, I assume it is okay. That usually works.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nift View Post
    Turner Falls would actually be a good spot even with the current Tornado activity. They have shelters there or near by, shelters open to public anyways. The most common problem at Turner Falls this time of year isn't tornadoes but flooding. If the water is high stay put. The low water bridge gets people every year. (Grew up 15 mins from Turner Falls)

I will however second the Murray near Ardmore and Lake Texhoma.

Also consider Chickasaw National Recreation Area in Sulphur. Two lakes, a cold water stream, Buffalo pastor, and Miles of trails.
    I had actually talked it over with my wife a while ago, and we both had talked about how much we enjoyed Turner Falls in the past. I used to go with my mom all the time, she was from that area and loved being up there. So, it's kind of a reminiscent trip for us, it'll be nice. I've never had an issue with the bridge since my truck is build up so much, a few years back the park police had me take them up to the tent sites during high water to warn others.

I'm going to be doing some training at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX from Sept - Feb this year. Is San Angelo state park a good place to hang? I haven't gotten a hammock yet, but plan to get one in a few weeks and get familiar with it before I go.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    It's a little farther east, but Caddo Lake State Park is also hammock friendly. There's been some group hangs there in the past, and it has numerous hanging sites.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast