Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

Hammock Classes..Paying it back

I have a forum devoted to the Neusiok Trail (my local hiking trail) and I have recently started to offer free hammock classes to anyone who is interested in learning more about the dark side of camping. I should be giving my first class tomorrow.

I know when I got started with hammocks I read everything I could on the forum and asked the usual questions all newbies ask ( I want to thank all of those who took the time to answer my questions ). However while reading the forums and watching Shug's (and others) videos were a great help (and still are), there is nothing like being able to put your hands on a hammock, see how it is set up, and see what a TQ and UQ look like and work and how a tarp works with a hammock. I know not everyone can attend a group hang where I always learn stuff due to timing, work, school ect.

So I got to thinking as to how I could pay back some of this help. So I decided to offer free hammock classes. Nothing fancy, just a chance for someone(s) to come to my house or other convenient location close by where I can shown them what is involved.

I am not going to push any persons brand over another or try to sell anything. I will letting folks know that the way I do things may not be the best way, just what I have found that works for me and letting them know what some of those options are.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10 x 12
    Suspension
    Straps
    That's awesome, man...saw you were selling some gear to help fund it. Good on you, bro! I'm sure you reap rewards from doing this.
    You're never lost if you don't care where you are.

Hammock
    WB BB DL XL
    Tarp
    SilNylon (rectngl)
    Insulation
    BA Insulatd Inflat
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Gunner,

I live in Morehead City and go through Otway frequently to visit my parents in Smyrna. My oldest son got a ENO DN for Christmas, I will be getting one for father's day and my youngest (15) will get one for his birthday on July 2.
    We would love to take you up on your offer as we are newbies but we are tired of sleeping on the ground and have experimented enough to know that we want to pursue hammock hanging. We will coordinate a convenient time for you as I am sure that your knowledge will help us a lot. Thanks for doing this. Please tell me what your favorite beverage is.

Tom Dale
    252-504-0900

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    That is awesome. Way to promote the cause. I have been thinking about doing the same thing in my area through boy scouts and different venues at the local shopping areas. Let us know how it goes.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    saw you were selling some gear to help fund it..
    The gear is some Neusiok Trail decals that I sell to help pay for the cost of the web site. I think I have spent more on the decals than I have gotten back on them so far.

I was kinda of hoping that this is an idea whose time has come. I know others have given classes of various types and I have gave a presentation last year and one lady who was there and is old enough to be my mother (and I am 59) ask me every time she sees me where have I been hanging at lately.

Tom...I am PM'ing you.

Nighhauk....go for it, maybe we can get a network going
    Last edited by gunner76; 05-29-2013 at 20:11.

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    Awesome, great way to promote the addiction! Never fails when my buddies and I go moto-camping we draw at least a few folks interested in our setups and the fact we aren't sleeping on the ground.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Held my first class last night for a couple of potenial hangers. Must of liked it as they want to come back and learn some more.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Do yourself a favor; start a spreadsheet for every 'class' you offer that details the gear. I've done a few dozen of the type of presentations you're talking about and I know for a fact that I have lost some gear along the way. Nothing terrible, but a couple of hammocks and at least one tarp.

When the classes get large and you are doing overnighters with them, it becomes difficult to keep track of everything. Thrilled you are doing it, but limit your losses.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    thanks for the advice. I plan to keep the class sizes small but the spreadsheet sounds like a good idea.

Just got off the phone with Outdoorsman and we will be getting together in the near future.

Hammock
    DIY 11" 1.1 black ripstop
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    tewa and HG
    Suspension
    UCRs/Dutchbling
    Images
    Gunner, wish I'd have been a part of this forum sooner and had the chance to meet with you! I've had my hammock since '05, been stationed at Cherry Point from '03 until last year. I have been living right down the road hanging in my front yard, taken it hanging to a small town called Merrit just past oriental. Awesome camping spot there called Paradise Cove. Paul and Rose are some amazing people and have great trees right on the pamilico sound. Not to mention the first floor of their house is a bar! Many a fun weekend hanging there. Glad to hear you're giving classes, I hope it picks up and you get more interest in the matter. Those Carolina pines on the coast are all spaced so perfectly!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast