Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Box of fun

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10 x 12
    Suspension
    Straps
    That is awesome, man! Everybody looks happy!
    You're never lost if you don't care where you are.

They all look great! And thank you for the link to the tablecloth website! I might have to make a few of these for my kids and gf.

What kind of weight-limit do you expect on these? with the channel-ends and table cloth?

Great job on the hammocks. How do they lay? Everyone looks comfortable and happy with the results. What did your total weight per hammock? Love to see how the bugnet project goes.
    J

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    that is just 2 cool!!

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
    They all look great! And thank you for the link to the tablecloth website! I might have to make a few of these for my kids and gf.

What kind of weight-limit do you expect on these? with the channel-ends and table cloth?
    Some folks here are suggesting 300+ pounds but I'm not sure if they used whipped ends or sewn end channels. I suspect sewn end channels do not significantly compromise the fabric.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IDJAY View Post
    Great job on the hammocks. How do they lay? Everyone looks comfortable and happy with the results. What did your total weight per hammock? Love to see how the bugnet project goes.
    J
    The total weight of the hammock, toggles, adjustable ridge line, 15ft whoopies and 74" tree straps weighed in at 1pound 2ounces. Not exactly light weight but I was shooting for inexpensive.

After sewn end channels end-to-end length was a hair over 120" and I was worried the lay was not going to be flat so I made an adjustable ridge line for my wife and myself and a fixed 100" (83% of hammock length) ridge line for the kids. I found the lay of 100" to be perfect and regret wasting my time on the adjustable ridge line. My only other experience is with my BIAS Hiker Lite which is 132x55 and to be perfectly honest the extra 5" in width was worth losing 12" in length. I prefer the lay of the DIY over the BIAS. I'm 5'10 1/2" so was a little surprised by this. On the other hand I prefer the feel of the material used in the BIAS over the crinkle taffeta.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothian View Post
    I really like the colors you have picked out. Looking forward to some pictures of these hammocks setup!
    The bright colors were my family's choices. Since I have no taste I opted for sage green so as to blend in to the forest as much as one can blend in crinkle taffeta.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody361 View Post
    I think I will build my son a hammock. And would like to make myself a down pillow. Looks like fun and rewarding knowing you made it.
    It was lot a fun and a great learning experience. Well worth the time. So far I haven't been able to crack the pillow mystery yet. I prefer a bit of neck support and balled up cloths in a stuff sack provide the right support but I can't keep the pillow from sliding all around when I move.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    Some things I learned along the way:

)
    ) Use double sided tape to hold the tree webbing in place while sewing.
    I tend to discourage this idea. It makes sense intuitively, but adhesives of any kind can really foul up the innards of a machine. The neddle pushes down and can transfer the adhesive into the lower workings making cleaning a real bear. Instead, work slowly and learn to trust the presserfoot to keep you fingers away from the needle. If that is just too much to hope for, and soime times it is, Use a tailors awl or emply mechanical pencil to hold things in place while you stitch them. No muss and not much fuss.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Re: Box of fun

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    Some folks here are suggesting 300+ pounds but I'm not sure if they used whipped ends or sewn end channels. I suspect sewn end channels do not significantly compromise the fabric.
    I'll check into the end methods. Gf might be 135ish... I'm smart enough to have mever asked.

I now have some aqua taffeta and silver amsteel on the way!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast