Finally took the plunge and made a down underquilt. I've put it off for 7 months mostly because I didn't want to deal with feathers. I remember the fluzzy blizzard of a nightmare of my mom making down jackets when I was 10 - 13. Many, MANY thanks to Fronkey for his video on stuffing down. I doubt I would have attempted this project if I hadn't seen that.
4 yards each green and gray 1.1 ripstop 2nds from D.I.Y. Gear Supply (and some amsteel).
Great quality and fast shipping.
8 ounces of 850+down and some ⅛ shockcord from Wilderness Logic. Again, very fast shipping and top quality down.
Squared the edges on the green ripstop, pinned it to the cutting board and drew the baffle lines. Then pinned about every 10˝.
Sewn, stuffed, sealed and fluffed. Came out as 63˝x 48", 8 baffles with 1 ounce of down in each. I was going to only use 6oz but greatly under estimated the filling power of this down. The baffles are bout 2.5˝.
Added a continuous loop of ⅛ shockcord.
This will stuff down so much smaller. I just made the bag from the scraps.
in all, including the stuff sack, it weighs exactly one pound.
I've cut and sewn the baffles on the gray quilt. It will be a TQ 72"x 48" with 6 baffles. Not certain how much down I'm going to need/use.
I can't wait till my next trip to try this out.