Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Guide Gear Tarp

I just finished seam-sealing (permatex flowable silicone) a guide gear emergency shelter tarp that I bought from bargainoutfitters.com for $18 + $6 shipping, on a recent sale. The product number is B19A3-216630. The link: http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net....aspx?a=541441

The tarp comes with a bunch of junk, such as poles and nylon tie-outs, but stripped of everything and adding 12 feet of zing-it and dutch tarp flyz on each side, it weighs 21.8 ounces. It is made of 190T polyester and coated with polyurethane. It has a catenary cut, and tie-out loops on the four corners.

This is a huge tarp with a 14-foot ridgeline, bigger than a superfly (which weighs 19 oz). Probably overkill and a bit heavy, but the price was right, and it will probably be my shelter until something better and lighter comes along. Then it will become the backup tarp.

There's a youtube made by forum member trailmedic911, who was the one who pointed me to this tarp and the recent sale (thanks!). The link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D3GJaThfZg

I haven't tested it on the field yet, so I would welcome any comments from experienced users. I know that the permatex bonds fine to silnylon, but I am not sure about polyester and polyurethane. Thank you.
    Last edited by Gravity; 06-02-2013 at 10:12.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Its ok as a car camping tarp but way to heavy for backpacking IMO. I own the 11x11 ft Gear Guide and the new HQ Camo 11x11 ft tarp.

I have moded them so I can use them in the Diamond pattern or in a rectangular pattern setup.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    ... I own the 11x11 ft Gear Guide...
    How has performance been in adverse conditions, i.e. wind and rain? Did you seam-seal it?

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    I have been meaning to post my GG tarp review for about a month, but I have been super busy. I got all shapes and sizes of the GG tarps. I Seam Sealed some of them with mcnett and it worked fine. I also seam sealed some with e6000 craft glue. All worked pretty well and did not leak.

I dedicated the 8.5x GG tarp to science, and it has been in my yard for about 3 months. It has been through all of the spring rains, and 3 hailstorms.

The main issue in diagonal mode, is that the bottom seams have separated a bit, and created pinholes in the seam which leak. The main seam over your head has held up fine so far.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    ... I got all shapes and sizes of the GG tarps. I seam sealed some of them with mcnett and it worked fine. I also seam sealed some with e6000 craft glue. All worked pretty well and did not leak...
    Thanks for the info... will be testing in the rain soon.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    It's been raining for several hours, moderate wind, thunder and lightning. I seam-sealed both the inside and outside ridgeline, but it still leaks a bit. I sealed the tarp indoors, while it was positioned flat on the ground. Next pass will be with the tarp hanging tight.

Lying on the hammock under this tarp in the rain is a beautiful thing. As they say, a spiritual experience.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I sealed my 11x11 with the silicone and it's held up fine. A few drops on the inside along the edge of the sealant but with high winds and storms and being up for over a month its held up great. Just took it down when I went out for a overnighter and put it up again when I got back...thinking this will stay up as long as she lasts mm have it on top of ridgeline with prussick and using braided masons line with prussick
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I have one of these and it's waterproof (so far) right from the get-go, I haven't sealed anything on it and haven't gotten wet yet.
    Debi

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Debi Jaytee View Post
    I have one of these and it's waterproof (so far) right from the get-go, I haven't sealed anything on it and haven't gotten wet yet.
    Ditto

I've got one of the 8.5' new ones, and an older (6 year old) 11' model.. Never had a leak

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I just ordered the 11' x 11' camo tarp and will be putting it to the test this weekend on a martial arts workshop in the wilderness. Snare's Campfire!

http://www.mountainforge.org/workshops.html

The forecast is calling for rain, so I'll be sure to post a review of performance when I get home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast