Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I love my rolled hem foot, but it took alot of practice to use it well. Some fabrics don't like it at all and are just not worth it to use. It helps to roll the first 4 or so inches by hand and then feed it into the foot a bout 5 inches from the start and work it back down to the beginning of the hem to actually start sewing. Then keep it taught and folded over as you feed the fabric into the foot. It takes practice. IMO a better tool I'm using more is a magnetic seam guide, $5 at Joann's and works great.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    ...So now I'm just going to order from Amazon.

Any one Better than another?
    Unless you are ordering by the machine model number, you will still need to know whether you need a low shank, high shank, extra high shank or a snap-on (and which version) presser foot.

The presser feet type of hemmers typically make a 2-3mm which is the size of a shirt tail or handkerchief hem. While some people use this for gear, usually a wider hem is used. This requires an accessory hemmer (as Cutex makes) and the appropriate 2 mounting holes in your machine. Or you can easily make the hem by hand.

You can make your own hemmer if you want to give it a try....

I just roll the hem by hand as I sew.

Edit...I just saw that I got sucked in to a 3 month old thread.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    It's cool, has taken me this long to get good enough making stuff sacks to really dive into long seams on hammocks.

Heading out for a hammock meet up now.
    Need to replace a destroyed sl diy tc w/ a dl diy tc.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I just roll the hem by hand as I sew.
    Me, too.

In a factory, the sewing is happening FAST! (first time you push down on the pedal of a commercial/industrial machine, you are in for a surprise....). Perhaps there-for speed- or when doing narrow handkerchief hems, a 'pre-folder/hemmer foot' is a good idea.

When I'm sewing, I'm looking for the opposite - a nice quiet activity to pass a few hours. Taking the time to hand-roll the hem and sew a few inches at a time is a benefit, not a problem for me.

Though it is quite a ways around the edge of a winter tarp....

BTW, pressing the hem before sewing (or at least pressing the first fold) can help, especially if you are working around curves.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Me, too.

In a factory, the sewing is happening FAST! (first time you push down on the pedal of a commercial/industrial machine, you are in for a surprise....). Perhaps there-for speed- or when doing narrow handkerchief hems, a 'pre-folder/hemmer foot' is a good idea.

When I'm sewing, I'm looking for the opposite - a nice quiet activity to pass a few hours. Taking the time to hand-roll the hem and sew a few inches at a time is a benefit, not a problem for me.

Though it is quite a ways around the edge of a winter tarp....

BTW, pressing the hem before sewing (or at least pressing the first fold) can help, especially if you are working around curves.
    Tell me about it, I spent this whole last weekend hemming the edges of the inner and outer shell fabric for an underquilt that I am trying to make. It's my first project of this sort, and my first time hemming such long lines. Definitely a lot of learning to do.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Get the one made for your machine, by the company that made your machine.
    I got a rolled hem foot for my Brother machine off of Ebay to save money. At least it was suppossed to be the one for my machine. Poor results to say the least.
    Then I went to the local sewing machine store and bought the Brother branded one.
    Worked like a champ.
    Weird thing is that I can hold the two up side by side and can't tell the diffference. Measurements are all the same. But the generic one just DOES NOT WORK !!!
    Practice a while on some scraps and look at the videos available online to master the technique.
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkperdue View Post
    Get the one made for your machine, by the company that made your machine.
    In the world of sewing machines the term "Universal Fit" is a code word for "junk." It is one of the few areas where I would never recommend generic or aftermarket doohickies. If it attaches to the machine get the genuine article.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO a rolled hem foot and a novice stitcher is a mismatch made in Hell. I've never been able to get a rolled hem foot to work for me and I am not a novice. Other folks have had luck with them, but if memory serves they had a lot of time in front of the presser foot. Here's the problem, from my way of thinking. Until you have worked out the kinks of the a sewing machine on normal projects it is tough to throw in another variable that has its own foibles.

I don't use rolled hem feet and neither does my professional quality wife. But that's not to say you shouldn't. Just be prepared for additional frustration while trying to learn the ropes on two respective fronts.
    For the record, the above stated truth is exactly how it played out...and still is. Grrr....

I want straight hems in my nice new Argon 1.6 but oh well...
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Joann's Fabric should adopt as their motto: Over 6 million blank looks served. The people at my local shop don't know anything about anything.

Sewed some channels on a tablecloth hammock and made a couple of stuff sacks this weekend - about to tackle a silnylon tarp. I hope it's ready for this weekend's hang.

And no, you will not find straight stitching from a one-eyed old fart so don't expect it!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree, I've been sewing for over thirty years and rolled hem feet can be tricky. One of the reasons I added 1/4" elastic to the edge of mine was to snug it up, the other was that it makes a beautiful stable edge that is easy to sew. If you are struggling with soft slippery stuff look at Joann's or local sewing shop (please frequent sewing machine dealers, they are often a wealth of knowledge and can do with the business) for 1/4" wash away wonder tape. It is double sided sticky tape that holds everything in place and doesn't gum up your needle. You can put a line along the edge of the fabric and then peel off the paper and turn it onto itself. Carry it over to the machine and flip it again, it will be firmer and easier to turn evenly. Works wonders when you can't pin, it was a lifesaver when I made a goretex parka.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast