Talkingjohn

Hello!! New in NV

Hello from the desert of central Nevada. Not many trees here so there are few resources for hammock hanging but I am interested in trying out a hammock for long distance hiking. I hear this forum is a friendly place for people who are not familiar with hammocks. I would like to do a DIY hammock and tarp. I wanted to find a material I could use for both or maybe make a hammock/tarp (if there is such a thing) in case the hammock does not work out for me. If anyone could point me in the right direction for material or instructions or counseling or worried looks, I would really appreciate it. Sorry if I am asking questions that belong elsewhere.

John
    Last edited by Talkingjohn; 06-04-2013 at 23:50. Reason: Poor punctuation

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Welcome from Fla! You've come to the right place. The DIY forum is a good place to start, the search function works pretty good, once you get used to it. Any questions, just fire away. You WILL get answers.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Goldfield, darn, wrong side of the state. I was kinda hoping you were an Elyopian or from Caliente, then you'd be much closer to this weekend's Utah hang. If you're interested, details here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=68458&page=11

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Welcome from Virginia!
    "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."-Edward Abbey

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Welcome from NE Nevada. In Goldfield you're not too far from some nice hanging spots. I have spent some time around Belmont and there are many nice camping areas near there. I don't think that's too far of a drive.

When it gets hot you will want to get up in the moutains near the water and the trees. You will love your hammock! No more laying on the rocks and uneven ground.

Talkingjohn
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerDad View Post
    Goldfield, darn, wrong side of the state. I was kinda hoping you were an Elyopian or from Caliente, then you'd be much closer to this weekend's Utah hang. If you're interested, details here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=68458&page=11
    Thanks BikerDad!!! I can't make it this time but maybe in the future. I have spent some time around Elko and along the east part of Nevada by Beaver Dam and up toward Ely. You have some great county.

Talkingjohn
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    Welcome from NE Nevada. In Goldfield you're not too far from some nice hanging spots. I have spent some time around Belmont and there are many nice camping areas near there. I don't think that's too far of a drive.

When it gets hot you will want to get up in the moutains near the water and the trees. You will love your hammock! No more laying on the rocks and uneven ground.
    You are right. The area around Belmont is a great. For me anymore, a comfortable night sleep is not just pleasant, it is the only way I can keep hiking on multi day trips without creaking like a rusty folding chair after the first day's hike, so I am eager to try a hammock.

• + New Posts