DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    diy whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    +100 on Shug's videos for Noobs. Break out the popcorn and make an evening of it!

Eleven short videos, even better as reruns!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8
    Seriously. It's like when I was starting out teaching - some of this stuff doesn't really click until you do it for a little while. There's so much to absorb at the beginning, that every once in awhile I go back and watch these vids again, and I'll think of something else to tweak.

(really, hitting subscribe as soon as you get to that playlist would be my recommendation)

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    How tall are you? Taller people need longer hammocks. Most put pillow or support under the knees to help get comfortable even when laying on a diagonal for flatter lay. Like others have said, if you hang your foot end higher it helps from slidding down.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The kicker for me to get really comfortable in my HH is a small pillow under the neck. Without it, I can't get comfy, and tend to toss and turn quite a bit. Once the pillow is added, it's lights out.

Hennessy's tied-in ridgeline sets the hammock's curve, so if nothing on the hammock has been changed from stock/original, no hanging "sag angle" is needed. Tom likes to set up the hammocks so they are level and evenly spaced between trees. *I* like the foot end a FEW (not six) inches higher than the foot. I'm taller than Tom Hennessy. Maybe that makes a difference. For comfort, make certain that the user lies on a slight diagonal to the hammock's center line, hips centered from side-to-side, left corner about mid-way between the shoulder and elbow, feet and knees angled toward the right corner.

Sometimes I put a bag of leftover clothing (if I have any) under my knees, not always. I do like a small pillow under my neck/head. One child's swim cuff with the flat side cut off gives me just the right support under my neck to maintain a comfortable curve. I might put my Montbell down sweater in a bag with the neck pillow if I don't need to wear it. I also might move once or even twice during the night, but I sleep better in my Hennessy with less movement than in my "dial-a-mattress" air bed. People who do a lot of tossing and turning may not have found their hammock's "sweet spot."
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I find that as long as the foot end is raised, my Hennessy is very comfortable whether pitched with the 30 degree angle on the suspension, or even relatively tight the way they show in the setup videos. Also, 3 or 4 inches is plenty. Don't worry, you'll still be laying relatively flat, but you'll have tons more room because your feet aren't being forced into the end of the hammock (and, consequently, up in the air as counterintuitive as that sounds). If your feet feel constrained in any way, pitch that end up a little. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

While we're on the topic, while the stock suspension with the lashing to the tree-huggers is fine, it's more difficult to make adjustments. Now that I have whoopie slings on, I can adjust the hang in seconds. It's something you really should consider doing.

So to sum up...

1. Don't worry too much about suspension angle on a hennessy. It hangs from the ridgeline at the correct angle.
    2. Raise your feet up a couple inches to move your body towards the center of the hammock.
    3. Change the suspension out for something that allows quick and easy hang adjustments (whoopies, rings, etc.)

Cheers.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    For me, hanging the foot end slightly higher and offset just a bit closer to the tree is optimal. My Hennessys also seem more comfortable with a slightly tighter pitch than the often recommended 30 degree angle (which is about right for my DIY and WBBB).

Just play around with variations in the hang and find out what works best for you. As mentioned, the figure 8 lash isn't the easiest to adjust. To easily make the suspension more adjustable you can use a midshipmans hitch. Really simple knot to learn, fully adjustable, very secure with 2 wraps and best of all no additional weight or cost.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    Cant get comfortable in my first hammock, Ultra Lite Explorer. I continue to sag in the middle or slide to my feet.
    Also, I have an upcoming trip on the AT for a week and would like opinions on what to put under me when I sleep.
    I really want to like hammocks but im a tosser and dont know if it will work for me. I'll know after my trip for sure.
    Any help and suggestions is appreciated
    Mountaindreamer, if you haven't gone on your AT trip yet and are still having issues, I'll volunteer to come to your place or you're welcome at mine to sort out the set up for your hanging gear. I'll even let you take a test run in my HG Incubator if it will help. Feel free to PM if this will help you.

Just hate the thought of a fellow newbie with a HH that is giving you an issue. I love all of mine and hammocks have changed my life in a lot of good ways. My bank account however.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12