Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

WBBB, WBBB XLC, and Traveler an amateur view

Well first a brief introduction.

I bought a 1.7 DL XLC a few months back but it wasn't going to be ready in time for a planned trip so I snagged a 1.1 DL Traveler to hold me over for the trip (It wasn't bug season yet). After reciving the XLC I wanted to be sure that I would like it more than a regular BB so I bought a 1.1 DL lefty BB when I saw one for a great price. I figured I would give the two BBs a good test and sell the one I didn't think fit me the best.

Caveat:
    I am only an amateur and really don't know what I'm talking about.

My Measurements:
    I am about 5'10" and weigh 220lbs (festively plump). I think this is one of the most important factors when selecting a hammock (maybe not so much the type but at least the size).

Lets move forward shall we?:

The best nights sleep I can remember came to me in my Traveler hammock ( this is ultimately why I purchased the 10' BB after receiving the XLC).

Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand the body of the traveler and the body of the BB are the same. This being true the lay in both should be pretty much the same. I actually find them slightly different which may be caused by a few factors. For instance it could be that the net on the BB causes the body to hold differently than the traveler or it could be that in the Traveler I lay every which way until I feel comfortable. The BB is designed with a head and foot end in mind and cut in a way that you either lay with your head to the left side and feet to the right (stock setup) or with your head to the right and feet to the left "lefty" (special order). The questions I have yet to answer are; If they are the same body shouldn't there be only one proper way to lay in the traveler and If this is true how do find out which way that is. The XLC body is different than the two because it is a foot longer So 11' compared to the 10'. The XLC actually feels a little wider as well (though I'm not sure that it actually is).

To be Cont.
    Last edited by CLANKBANG; 06-05-2013 at 14:50.
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything; They just make the best of everything.

The richest person is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least. (unkown)

and of course There are A LOT of chickens in China.
    NPR correspondent-- Hong Kong

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Which one did you end up preferring?

I've tried the regular and XLC BBs and personally prefer the XLC.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL,WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I'm trying to figure out a good way to detail my feelings of the Hammocks without getting too wordy..
    But in short I think I like them all fairly equally but for different reasons.
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything; They just make the best of everything.

The richest person is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least. (unkown)

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    It is my opinion however that this is probably due to my particular height.
    I feel that if I were any taller I would much prefer the XLC.

This is jumping the Gun a bit but I want to get it out there.

It has been my experience that for both the WBBB and WBBBX XLC it is vital that you get the foot end higher than the head end for a comfortable lay.
    Also the lower your suspension angle the flatter/wider the calf ridge becomes (this is a good thing) moving from a "ridge" to more of a "plain". I'm sure there is a limmit to how shallow the angle can be but for me the most comfortable is less than 30Deg maybe more like 20Deg.
    Last edited by CLANKBANG; 06-05-2013 at 15:08.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    The other consideration when comparing my hammocks would be the fabric.
    I find the 1.1 DL slightly more comfortable that the 1.7 DL.
    The texture of the 1.1 is far superior in my mind when afternoon napping (with out a quilt, pad or sleeping bag) but once I get in for a all nighter with my sleeping bag I rally don't notice a difference.

As far as support and stretch goes at my weight I could probably get away with a 1.7 SL as well as the 1.1 DL and 1.7 DL.
    I'm not sure how much more the 1.7 SL would stretch over the 1.7 DL but the 1.1 DL defiantly has more stretch than the 1.7 DL.
    Much like my height I feel that if I weighed 10 + lbs more I would find the 1.7 DL the only way to go.
    How it is right now the 1.1 DL stretches around me and tends to wrap more around my back and shoulders (which I like). This means though that it is harder for me to wiggle from side to side (roll around) than with the 1.7 DL so if I were at all claustrophobic it would be a definite draw back.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    For me the BB has a Sweeter spot than the XLC but the XLC is much more forgiving when it comes to set up to get a sweet spot. In other words when both are set up perfectly the BB has a nicer lay for me than the XLC but the XLC isn't as finicky about the set up as the BB.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

I have owned a BB dbl 1.7, dbl 1.1, Traveler dbl 1.7 and now XLC dbl 1.1. For me the XLC is best overall. I agree the XLC IS most forgiving with setup. Also, the XLC lays completely flat without the center calf ridge. The original BB is a bit tricky to get that ridge dialed out flat. It's doable but takes some work. I didn't care for the Traveler as much due to the floppy sides. It would probably be great with a Knotty shock cord mod like the Wilderness Logics hammocks have. So far the the XLC with net removed in "Traveler" mode doesn't seem to have the same problem for me. Still might consider adding a Knotty mod to it at some point just for using in "Traveler" mode though it's not a real need since I have a WL Lite Owl hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I have yet to eliminate the calf ridge on any of them... I have only been able to widen the ridge and move it under my knee.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Quote Originally Posted by CLANKBANG View Post
    I have yet to eliminate the calf ridge on any of them... I have only been able to widen the ridge and move it under my knee.
    One tip as Brandon kind of explained in his video is to have the head end pitched a foot lower than the foot end and scoot towards the head end. I was pleasantly surprised how flat the fabric laid down evenly when laying on the diagonal. Of course I suspected it would being an 11 foot hammock. The only con to the XLC is the little bit extra weight and bulk. Mine weighs within .1 ounce of my WL Lite Owl with the WL full bug net on it. Not a big deal to me though but gram weenies may have issue with the added weight. To me comfort wins in that contest.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    So (some what impulsively) I have decided to sell my XLC and buy a XLC 1.1 DL.
    When it comes in I will truly be able to compare apples to apples.
    I really want to see If what I prefer about the BB and Traveler comes down to the fabric.

The BB fits me like a glove (I spent several hours in it over the weekend)
    There is a definite calf ridge in the BB but I can dial it in to fall just right under my knee.
    This makes if really comfortable for me. the difference here is that when I dial in the XLC I can get it to where there is almost no calf ridge. When this happens my knee starts to feel hyper extended.
    Again I'm wondering if it is my height.. When I say the BB fits me like a glove I mean it; If I were any taller I think I would fell that I was pushing on the edges too much.

Something else to note is that my BB is a lefty which means that I lay tilted slightly toward my right when I'm most comfortable. I don't fell like it makes any difference to me which side I lay on but I can see where some side sleepers may really prefer to lay on one side or the other. So I would suggest that if in you like to lay on your right you should order a lefty and if you like to lay on your left then you should order the standard configuration.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast