Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

New Exped Asym: first impressions

Had a chance to play with the new HH Exped Asym this weekend.
    Bottom line: I like it!

More room than my ENO Singlenest and GT Air-Bivy. Not as much room as my Warbonnet Blackbird. I like the way I can lay flat. Not enough experience as to whether or not I like the bottom entry. I like the built-in netting, the ridgeline mesh pocket, and 2 little plastic hanger hooks. I like the way the fly attaches to the line and how it adjusts. Love the snakeskins!

Not quite sure about that ridgeline, though! It's so thin! Will it hold???
    I'm only 150lbs soaking wet, but sheesh!

Might end up changing to cinch buckles and webbing.

Obligatory backyard test shots:

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & TriGlides
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about the ridgeline breaking. I've used mine dozens fo times and with no issue and I'm 195 lbs when I'm dry. We have a bunch of them for our scout troop that get abused regularly and we have never had a broken ridgeline. We have, however, a couple of feet go through the netting.
    Todd K. Miller

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you delve into the archives you will find cases of the ridgeline breaking. The thing they seem to have in common is they were strung too tight to start with. Either that or someone decided to grab the ridgeline and use it as a re-adjustment line for moving about in the hammock. My ridgeline is looser when I am in the hammock than when I hang it... and I outweigh both of you.

My opinion is for sure changre the suspension unless you are looking for the lightest possible rig. The HH stock ropes are the lightest rig you can have on an HH hammock. But ring buckles make life so much easier. You may lose the attachment of the tarp to the suspension lines depending on how you convert but my advice is to upgrade the tarp to the hex and hang it separately anyway so that's no biggie.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    There has been such a demand for the Hex tarp from HH that it's backordered. No biggie. I'll use the standard fly until it arrives.

I'm going to use the setup as-is for the time being. Don't want to rush into changing anything re: the suspension just yet...but I sure dig those cinch buckles!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Don't want to rush into changing anything re: the suspension just yet...but I sure dig those cinch buckles!
    Come ooooon, everybody's doing it.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    There has been such a demand for the Hex tarp from HH that it's backordered. No biggie. I'll use the standard fly until it arrives.

I'm going to use the setup as-is for the time being. Don't want to rush into changing anything re: the suspension just yet...but I sure dig those cinch buckles!
    Good to hear you like it. I still like mine, and the SS.

I don't think I realized you could get the stock tarp that high above the hammock when attached to the hammock suspension ropes per HH directions, which it looks like you are. Usually my tarp is VERY close to the ridgeline even after I get in. Unless I attach to the tarp to the trees instaed of the suspension. I think you are going to want it a good bit closer to the hammock in a storm, but I'm sure you already know that.

Good to hear that you find the HH still competitive comfort wise to other hammocks. The bottom entry has it's pro's and cons. But the few drawbacks are easily cured with that 2qs zipper mod, for a little money and a few oz.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I don't think I realized you could get the stock tarp that high above the hammock when attached to the hammock suspension ropes per HH directions, which it looks like you are.
    I had a lot of sag in this quick setup for pictures. I've adjusted it since. For bad weather, I'd not use as much sag and lower the side tie-outs of the tarp.

It's definitely NOT a warm weather hammock. At least to me it's not. I can use it as a chair or lay on the outside, but I have my no net ENO Singlenest for warm days.

I stay warm in the HH even w/o any insulation!

• + New Posts