Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    I sleep on my side in my eno, sometimes on my back. A lot of people say they are smaller, but I have never felt my hammock was to short. I am 5ft 11in tall. I have never tried a linger hammock. At home in bed I sleep in my stomach or side. A hammock just feels different and makes you want to sleep different. If you are in the edge about whether you want a hammock get a cheap one and try it in a few trips. I got my eno last year to take on long trips where we would do a lot if lounging. My friend and I constantly fought over who got to lie in the hammock, and by the end of the trip I was sleeping in it every night. I now will never go back to a tent.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakAes View Post
    No worries, thanks for the updated link.

I sleep maybe halfway between sleeping on my side, and sleeping on my stomach. In a bed I have to put my arm up between the pillow and under my head, and lean on a body pillow. Would that be possible with the Ridge Runner? It says it sleeps people up to 6' 6". I'm 5' 10", but I think if I had my arm up that would be longer. Maybe it would work lying diagonally, I'm not sure....

I think I might get a hammock from REI to test while on the Tahoe trip, and see if I like it. I'm actually in the market for a new bed too, and I read that several people here sleep in hammocks every day! The problem I have is that I can only sleep in the position I described above, but my clavicle can hurt after awhile, and my arm goes to sleep. Would a hammock alleviate this problem? If I can sleep in the same position with no pain, then that would be amazing! It would save me several thousand dollars too!!!!!!!
    Thats wierd!! I sleep like that too - in a bed. But in my hammock I don't have any of those pressure-points so don't need to worry about my arms back neck or legs hurting from the pressure. Sleeping on my back or side or halfway in-between is mostly what i do in a hammock and I only sleep in a bed a few nights a month now...

Also, in a bed I'd wake up several times throughout the night - having to change positions - not so in a hammock. Usually only wake up for a nature-call. I think I'll go take a hammock nap now... ahhh
    Last edited by Loki; 06-07-2013 at 16:07.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by adventuregirl View Post
    I sleep on my side in my eno, sometimes on my back. A lot of people say they are smaller, but I have never felt my hammock was to short. I am 5ft 11in tall. I have never tried a linger hammock. At home in bed I sleep in my stomach or side. A hammock just feels different and makes you want to sleep different. If you are in the edge about whether you want a hammock get a cheap one and try it in a few trips. I got my eno last year to take on long trips where we would do a lot if lounging. My friend and I constantly fought over who got to lie in the hammock, and by the end of the trip I was sleeping in it every night. I now will never go back to a tent.
    Thanks, looks like we are about the same height and sleep in the same way. In that Eno, do you sleep with your arm going up and under your head though? That's the only way I can feel comfortable sleeping in a bed. Maybe I'd want to sleep differently in a hammock, I'm not sure yet.

REI sells the Enos, so I think I'll get one to try out for this Tahoe trip. If I want to make a serious purchase though, is there a way to wade through everything, or do you just have to try several brands to see what you like? I do want to make the right choice the first time if I can.

So far it seems like Warbonnet and Hennessy are the most recommended brands. I like the idea of making one for under $100, but I've never sown anything. How difficult of a learning curve would it be? Also, if I'd want to make a bridge hammock, that would be more difficult, right?

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Best way to try out a lot of different gear ( and meet some friendly, helpful people too) is to attend a group hang. Might want to hold off on any of the more expensive purchases til then. I bought a less expensive hammock at first and still use it for day hikng.
    - Loki my videos

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    diy whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakAes View Post
    So far it seems like Warbonnet and Hennessy are the most recommended brands. I like the idea of making one for under $100, but I've never sown anything. How difficult of a learning curve would it be? Also, if I'd want to make a bridge hammock, that would be more difficult, right?
    The gathered end is dead simple - just sew a straight hem along the long edges, then the short sides to create a channel. Put some cord through and you're done. 4yds of 1.9oz will run you about $20, and give you more than enough extra material to make a stuff-sack (another good learning project). While you're at it (if you're at it), pick up some polyester thread, and if you want, you can go ahead and pick up some 1" polyester webbing. I usually order from diygearsupply.

I started out not knowing how to sew anything. Now, as soon as I grade final exams next week and spend a few nights outside, I'm gonna get to work on a topquilt.

And yes, a bridge hammock will be more work - I haven't done that.

And how about the Switchback? Seems to get some good reviews. Here's a quote from this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=50258

"You are right to be looking at the Switchbacks if you are a side sleeper that tosses and turns. That describes me exactly. I love my Switchback and I also have other popular hammocks like the Warbonnet Blackbird. Nothing comes close to the comfort of the Switchback."

Anybody else compared the Switchback to the Blackbird?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mamba Jamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Web

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    If I can trash in my hammock I just turn it over.

Warbonnet is one of the best and the BB is my (and the wife's ) go to hammock for overnight but there are many great hammocks out there, the problem is finding the hammock that works best for you.
    Warbonnet is awesome, comfortable, very well made and they will answer your emails, may take a day but they answer any questions you may have. Whats odd is for a light weight as they are they seem like they will last forever, very strong material.

I think I'll get a Hennessy to try from REI, instead of an Eno. Which one would you recommend?

http://www.rei.com/search?page_size=...ery%2Chammocks

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Hammocks are like wine. Ask three experts and you will get at least 4 answers. For me, I cannot know for sure until I try. I think there are more full-time eno users (365 nights/yr or thereabouts) than full-time hennessee users from what I've read on HF - just an estimate though.

Chances are you may own more than one hammock ( or a dozen) a year from now.
    - Loki my videos

The sense I got is that people prefer Hennesseys for backcountry and Enos for car camping. I think I'll try Hennessey first. Maybe any model is good for just a trial?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast