Looking for used over quilt

Looking for an over quilt for temps down to 30 degrees. Trying to lighten my load up and want something lighter than my current 20 degree sleeping bag which weighs in at a hefty 3.6 lbs.

Freak, if you can sew or con someone into doing it for you, a Rayway quilt kit might work for you. The alpine version is rated to 28 F. Sounds like your current bag is synthetic so you are used to the bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Freak, if you can sew or con someone into doing it for you, a Rayway quilt kit might work for you. The alpine version is rated to 28 F. Sounds like your current bag is synthetic so you are used to the bulk.
    I can sew, but don't really have access to a sewing machine. I guess that an inexpensive sewing machine and the Rayway Quilt Kit would still be within my budget, but I'd really prefer to find something used. My sewing skills aren't

Yes, my current bag is synthetic.

I bought a lot of gear last year when I first got back into backpacking. Though I did use weight in my selection criteria, the primary criteria was cost since I was buying 2 of everything so that my son-in-law could hike with me. At the time I wasn't sure whether this would be a one time thing or something I'd be doing semi-regularly. Well, after our trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, my son-in-law has lost all interest in backpacking. A little more physical effort than he wanted. He did enjoy the beauty of the area and the wildlife, but the hiking kicked his butt (mine too).

Now I'm planning a 2 week solo trip to the Weminuche Wilderness in Southwestern Colorado and I'm trying to lighten my load as much as I can afford. Hopefully, by buying used and selling off some of my spare/heavier gear, I can make a big difference without impacting the pocketbook too much.

What I'm looking for now is a good used top quilt at a fair price. A used Speer TopBlanket would be perfect. It will give me a savings of 41.5 ounces at a cost of less than $4.80 per ounce saved.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freakflyer9999 View Post
    Well, after our trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, my son-in-law has lost all interest in backpacking. A little more physical effort than he wanted. He did enjoy the beauty of the area and the wildlife, but the hiking kicked his butt (mine too).
    LOL! I've long been an advocate of "oxygen stations" on the Trails up there. Great park, probably my favorite so far!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    I have a very slightly used DIY synthetic quilt I made last summer seems, to work well , it is fairly light , climashield I believe , send me your address and I will send it to you. If you like it send me shat you think it is worth to you. I've done this several times with gear (I make virt. all my own stuff.) gnome

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    the above is for freakflyer!!! gnome

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I have a very slightly used DIY synthetic quilt I made last summer seems, to work well , it is fairly light , climashield I believe , send me your address and I will send it to you. If you like it send me shat you think it is worth to you. I've done this several times with gear (I make virt. all my own stuff.) gnome
    Gnome you are too cool man. The hyperlite's on my backporch, it'll be my winter hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Thank you very much. I've PM'ed my address to you.

This is the way that society should work. Trusting and helpful.

Kenny G.

• + New Posts