Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird

Lightweight ridgeline

I was reading here that paracord is not the best line to use. What is a good, strong lightweight rope to use?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Zing-it or Lash-it is common. Although not necessary for strength, Dynaglide and Amsteel are also used. He main reason paracord is not the best choice is because of the stretch and with a ridgeline you want something that does not stretch so it maintains a constant sag.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Having a hard time trying to find the lash-it for sale.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    hmm what i want is 4mm cord so I can use it for multiple things. 50 feet would work.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    You can get lash-it and zing-it from Redden Marine. If you have a West Marine near you they can order in Lash-it for you. If you go that route have them price match Redden. Somewhere on the forum there is also a discount code for Redden, something like 5 or 10% off I think.

If you want something of a larger diameter look for something of the dynemma or poly variety for the core at least. It's the all nylon of 550 cord that lets it stretch. Someone else posted this link in a different thread that you might find useful. http://photos.airpost.net/lines.htm

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Here you go. You can use it for a lot of things. I use the Lash it for my tarp ridgeline because it is easier to work on Dutchware with and less prone to tangle than something a bit smaller.

Lash It

Zing It

For my hammock ridgeline, I use 1.2mm Tech line from DIYGearSupply (scroll to the bottom of the page).

Other lightweight/low stretch lines can be found at ZPacks.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

I just placed an order including some Zing it for a ridgeline with Redden Marine. If your order is $50 you can use a June10 discount code to get $10 off. A bit better than the standard HF discount. I added some Amsteel to my order to take advantage of the discount. They also have lots of other cord for a variety of uses if you are looking for something else.

You could also get some 1/8" Amsteel for your other multiple uses if desired. Since you can order the 1/8" amsteel by the foot you can just get the 50' you are looking for. It should be plenty strong enough for your other uses.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    This thread has good advice and information for the OP, but it perpetuates an error that has shown up in many threads about ridgelines. Most people don't hang their hammocks tightly enough to make the ridgeline function as a true structural ridgeline, and there is generally no reason why they should, but those who think they might should use dynaglide or amsteel because the force on the ridgeline can be as high as the force on the hammock rope. The terms "ridgeline" and "structural ridgeline" have been used interchangably by many (including some vendors) so it's understandable that the distinction is being lost. I use dynaglide for structural ridgelines and zing-it for non-structural ridgelines. If you think you might need to hang from trees that are more than 20 ft. apart, then use the stronger line.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    This thread has good advice and information for the OP, but it perpetuates an error that has shown up in many threads about ridgelines. Most people don't hang their hammocks tightly enough to make the ridgeline function as a true structural ridgeline, and there is generally no reason why they should, but those who think they might should use dynaglide or amsteel because the force on the ridgeline can be as high as the force on the hammock rope. The terms "ridgeline" and "structural ridgeline" have been used interchangably by many (including some vendors) so it's understandable that the distinction is being lost. I use dynaglide for structural ridgelines and zing-it for non-structural ridgelines. If you think you might need to hang from trees that are more than 20 ft. apart, then use the stronger line.
    An excellent point, WV. I use a 1.2mm techline for a non structural ridgeline and try to hunt for trees no further apart than 18' or so to hang from because I know that my ridgeline would not do so well if it were required to become structural.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    WV, that's a great observation that I had not entirely thought through before. Understanding your gear and how it functions helps you choose the correct material for the task at hand.

• + New Posts