A number of forum members have contacted me for instructions and a list of materials needed to make a PLUQ. The following instructions are for a Yeti inspired underquilt; however, basic rectangular shapes will work too. I personally like the Yeti shape because it allows me to make a smaller underquilt. I am six feet tall and the Yeti design provides plenty of coverage for me.
First of all, there is a difference in the poncho liner material used to make a “genuine military issue” poncho liner and the “after-market” version. If you use the military issue version, I recommend that you consider two layers. On the other hand, most of the after-market versions that I’ve seen are made of a thicker and more rigid material, and one layer of this material may be enough to make a summer UQ.
I just finished making a PLUQ out of a military issue poncho liner and I modeled it after the Yeti. The following instructions and pictures are from this project. I made it out of two layers, and decided to make an additional layer out of insulfleece that can be used, if needed, for additional warmth. One poncho liner was big enough to supply two layers.
List of materials:
1 poncho liner.
Approx 18 feet of 2 ¼” grosgrain ribbon.
Approx 20 feet of 1/8” shock chord.
Approx 80” of Insulfleece.
Approx 90” of parachute nylon material.
Two collars taken from JC Penny Puffer Jackets to use as draft collars.
1. I own a Yeti and I used it to make a pattern for my PLUQ.
2. I laid the pattern on the poncho liner and proceeded to cut out my two layers out. I then sewed a straight stich around the border of each of them.
3. I kept the trim from the poncho liner and separated it so that I could re-use it on the corners of the PLUQ.
4. I put one layer on top of the other and sewed the two layers together on three sides. I left one side open so that I could have a way to put the insulfleece layer inside the UQ when needed.
5. I used the poncho liner trim to sew around the corners of the UQ.
6. I then sewed the draft collars in place.
7. I measured, cut, and then ironed the 2 ¼” grosgrain ribbon for all four sides of the PLUQ. I sewed them in place…the side with the opening received two lengths of grosgrain to cover the mouth of the opening (I also sewed three Velcro pads between the grosgrain trim to allow me to shut and secure the opening). I left the ends of the ribbon open so that I would be able to thread the shock chord through, allowing me to form the “channel suspension.”
1. The cut the insulfleece material in half and sewed it together so that it would be wide enough to form the base of the additional layer (see picture).
2. I took the parachute nylon material and made a cover for the insulfleece. I sewed diagonal lines on the insulfleece layer to keep the cover from sliding around.
3. I sewed attachment points on all four corners of the insulfleece layer. I pulled small sections of surgical tubing through button hooks and used these to clip on and secure the inner layer at the four corners.
The following picture shows the finished quilt.
Hope these instructions make sense and are helpful!