ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie

First overnighter in Hammock (Turner Falls OK) Pic heavy

My wife and I went up to Turner Falls Park for a quick over nighter since it's close by. Next week we're planning on heading to Dinosaur Valley for a night stay, but may end up going to Ray Roberts or another place, we've got I think 4 trips planned this month just quick get aways and then in July we'll do our 3 night trip to Eagle Rock Loop. Snapped a few pics of our trip. If you're around Oklahoma, and haven't ever been to Turner Falls, it's a real nice place. The park staff were all curious about our hammocks. They'd seen cotton hammocks, even sell them there, but hadn't ever seen the "elaborate" setup like ours, which I told them wasn't elaborate at all compared to some. Overall, the sleep was great. I woke up a few times, once a coon had knocked over the trash can nearby, another time when a deer was about 5 feet from my hammock, sneezed and startled the crap outta me, then slowly walked away. Stars were gorgeous, no tarp used since the weather was great. I did learn, even when it's 60 degrees, a blanket certainly won't cut it. Had CBS pretty bad, but my z-lite pad worked out great.

Our first setup, we had the hammocks on one tree, we've done this in the backyard a few times and liked it. We ended up moving though to another, more secluded camp site and glad we did.

Now, my wife said this was likely just a bull snake, but after getting home and taking a better look at the pictures and comparing them, I'm partial to believe it may be a rattler with a button instead of a full rattler just yet. Anyone have any input? We did keep our distance pretty good just in case.

Pretty sweet looking twisted tree.

View from our camping area.

View from the top of the falls.

Our second set up at the new site. Was nice and secluded.

Morning after. Didn't notice much sag or stretch through the night with my 297 pounds in it, I think everything held up quite nicely.

Breaking camp. Since this was our first trip out with the hammocks, I decided to haul my gear in my pack just to see how everything packed up and weight wise. With extras, liberally packing, the pack felt tons better than carrying a tent around with the tarp. The hammock and all packs down so nice it's pretty crazy.

Not sure if she was the one that spooked me last night, but she sure was pretty out eating breakfast.

Lower falls. We tubed down this section since the main pools were closed due to water flow (sucker was moving). Got pretty beat up on the rocks, but was fun overall.

Awesome Turner Falls. I'd been up here about 5 times, and hadn't seen the falls moving so fully.

And lastly, as we're leaving, finally got a pic of the road runner. We'd seen him quite a few times, but never able to snap a pic. He was pretty still here, I think he was more curious.

Great pics....thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Truly awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Great pics and thanks for sharing. I'm pretty sure I saw two rattles on that snake, always a good idea to play it safe.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    HH Survivor Asym-HH Jungle-WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG 0* Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thank you for sharing the pictures.

I am NO expert...

Observe that a bull snakes' pupils are circular, while those of rattlesnakes are vertically oriented. (The shape of the pupils is a method that many use to determine a venomous from non-venomous snake, although there are exceptions.)

Rattle at the end of the tail. (Rarely, missing) Juveniles often have one noiseless rattle segment that is bright yellow. (Did you see yellow)?

I looked the above statements up on the net. SO it has to be true. LOL

After all the reading I did - I still don not know but, if I had to guess, I would treat it as a rattlesnake.

Thanks again for the pics.
    Roger

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Great pics and thanks for sharing. I'm pretty sure I saw two rattles on that snake, always a good idea to play it safe.
    Yeah it looks like what they call a button rattle, but that may just be for juvenile snakes, this one didn't look like a juvenile, maybe he's lost his since I've read several times they're brittle and can break off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thank you for sharing the pictures.

I am NO expert...

Observe that a bull snakes' pupils are circular, while those of rattlesnakes are vertically oriented. (The shape of the pupils is a method that many use to determine a venomous from non-venomous snake, although there are exceptions.)

Rattle at the end of the tail. (Rarely, missing) Juveniles often have one noiseless rattle segment that is bright yellow. (Did you see yellow)?

I looked the above statements up on the net. SO it has to be true. LOL

After all the reading I did - I still don not know but, if I had to guess, I would treat it as a rattlesnake.

Thanks again for the pics.
    I didn't see any yellow, I honestly thought it to be a bull snake at first so I didn't pay too much attention to the tail, but snapped one pic as it was heading back off in to the woods. I'm thinking, after further investigation through google images, ha, it may be a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, affectionately known as a coon tail rattlesnake due to it's white and black banding just before the rattles. It has all the markings and signs of a rattle snake, just missing the rattle.
    Last edited by mark996; 06-08-2013 at 23:16.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Nice pics,,,Thanks
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Nice. I haven't been over there since I was a little kid...seems like it was a state park back then, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the great pics.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    Enjoyed the pics, thanks!
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Looks like a nice trip, thanks for the hike along....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast