Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

wow

yeah, that stings... so despite my having used this setup for about three years now... despite real world observations collected over hundreds of miles of trails, in all sorts of weather from low 20s to high 90s, pouring rain for 5days straight on one trip to swelteringly humid on others, and despite using it in a hammock stand every night for some months now... despite all that actual experience, y'all are basically calling me a liar, or at least stupid.

ouch. me and my big mouth. Won't make that mistake again.

Rest ("hang") assured that your message has been received. I'll be heading out to all the approved vendors so I can buy all the required specific parts to be in compliance with the rules you've so kindly explained. I apologize for having offended the esteemed and incontestable expertise of the assembled lords here with my obviously foolish observations of what must surely have been wild feats of my own imagination. I'm not sure how I could ever have been so wrong; I will consider seeing a psychologist to make sure I'm not having hallucinations! thank you as we'll for that, since it could be a sign of a much more dangerous illness like "lateral thinking" or "improvisation" (gasp) I shudder to even type such frightening words!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quite an elloquent response. Methinks you're an English major or some liberal arts degree. I like your writing style.

There is a consensus on certain subjects - and you happened to hit on suspension, where there is considerable consensus regarding safety ratios. Straps or whoopies are the predominant suspension.

Now you can start your own movement, that paracord is better than straps or whoopies, but I think most folks will go with safer options.

Nobody meant any offense - paracord is just a poor choice for hammock suspension.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-14-2013 at 23:21.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I used paracord for a while. It did hold me up, and it was comfortable. After a while of hanging from the same trees there was some noticeable damage to the trees.
    It would also stretch a lot when I got into the hammock.
    I've since switched to straps and whoopie slings. Straps and whoopie slings are super easy to set up and very light weight.
    I don't carry any metal hardware to hang my hammock. I use sticks found at the camp site as the toggles for the marlin spike hitch.

Hammock
    DD frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    PLUQ & PLOQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Re: Figure-9 Tensioners + Parachute Cord= Not New?

I used ratchet webbing... But I had cinch buckles attached to my hammock using a loop of 550 cord.

I also have 550 cord suspending my tarp.

I love 550 cord, but I did notice how much it would stretch. I would wake up and realize my tarp is loose and floppy, and my hammock dropped down a couple of inches.

I just built a set of UCRs and continuous loops for my hammock, and bought zing it for the tarp.

The safety limit of 550 didn't bother me any, I've done worse to myself than fall onto the ground at 20" or whatever I hang at. Funny how I trust 550 more than cheaply made figure 9s though. I always figured they are cast metal, which I have seen plenty of mass produced cast metal things break, so I never suspended myself with a figure nine.

You would be surprised how much you'd like amsteel and zing it. It's 550 cord on steroids.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Re: Figure-9 Tensioners + Parachute Cord= Not New?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    yeah, that stings... so despite my having used this setup for about three years now... despite real world observations collected over hundreds of miles of trails, in all sorts of weather from low 20s to high 90s, pouring rain for 5days straight on one trip to swelteringly humid on others, and despite using it in a hammock stand every night for some months now... despite all that actual experience, y'all are basically calling me a liar, or at least stupid.

ouch. me and my big mouth. Won't make that mistake again.

Rest ("hang") assured that your message has been received. I'll be heading out to all the approved vendors so I can buy all the required specific parts to be in compliance with the rules you've so kindly explained. I apologize for having offended the esteemed and incontestable expertise of the assembled lords here with my obviously foolish observations of what must surely have been wild feats of my own imagination. I'm not sure how I could ever have been so wrong; I will consider seeing a psychologist to make sure I'm not having hallucinations! thank you as we'll for that, since it could be a sign of a much more dangerous illness like "lateral thinking" or "improvisation" (gasp) I shudder to even type such frightening words!
    that's cool man hang from whatever you want to hang from.
    I've snapped para cord on things far lighter than what a hammock can do. when it finally happens to you it will be right at the knot or whatever place you nicked the line at. is your hammock so hang it how you want.

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    I know for a fact that paracord will damage even hardwoods. I have a small forest on my property that I frequently hang from with friends and I have noticed several marks left by the suspension of my tarp lines which are very similar to paracord in diameter. If a tarp line will mark up a tree real bad then I am pretty sure a hammock suspension will too. Webbing really helps lessen the damage...

There is always going to be a difference of opinion on this subject and some people will stick with what they know and that is just how it is sometimes.
    I'll post some picks of the tree damage on my property, later this week.
    It would be interesting to see the pictures of damage from tiny cords. I was impatient about waiting for my 1.75mm (TINY) tarp ridgeline to arrive in the mail, so I grabbed some 3/8" bright yellow polypropylene rope from Home Depot. It's labeled with a 215 lb "working load limit", but I've also had good luck with the 1/4" thickness stuff as well.

It came with a splicing fid (some packages don't, so be sure to check), and it's much quicker to splice compared to Amsteel (but not as fun). A Figure 9 Carabiner takes the place of DutchWare's TarpFlys or Stingerz in this oversized rigging for tarps that cost around $10 and available locally. It's really lightweight, inexpensive, and I find thicker rope and larger rope tensioning hardware much easier to handle and manipulate.

I mention polypro rope, because its huge thickness is nearly a tree hugger in itself. I prefer my Continuous Ridge Line very taut, and I have no doubts after reading XTrekker's response, that 1.75mm Zing-It is going to leave a mark.

I just wish this polypro stuff was black. The large Figure 9 Carabiner, sure isn't homegrown titanium sweetness, but it's well built, and really functional piece of kit, especially if you need to secure rope larger than 1.75mm in thickness. If Dutch made titanium HorseFlys or something that could cinch thicker rope, I'd be all over it.
    - The original Banana Hammock

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Tarp cordage can be much more forgiving. For one, it doesn't have to endure the dynamic forces that a hammock suspension does. That actually allows one to use something much thinner and lighter, and by design won't wick water like P-cord, like Zingit, Lashit, Tech, or even some Mason lines.

Lashit and Zingit are the popular favorites, but the bottom line, on a tarp, you want the cordage to fail, before the tarp material. You can replace a section of cordage much easier in a windstorm, than effect a tarp patch under the same or any conditions.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Tarp lines and webbing wearing away at the bark of this tree. When it is dry out, there hasnt been as much damage in the past, but when it rains, the bark gets really torn up. This tree has been hung from at least 4 or 5 times recently so the damage is spread out alittle. But I will have to start rotating from tree to tree in the future.
    DSC00486.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    run the para cord from hammock, out to the tree (or whatever anchor point) and back to the figure 9. run the cord thru the figure 9
    Running the line there and back as described shares the cord tension (somewhat) between the two lengths of line, assuming the cord tension can equalize somewhat by slipping around the tree. For 200lbs at 30deg divided by 2, the tension could be as low as 100lbs which would give a SF of 5 for the cord and 1.5 for the Figure 9. While I also don't think it's a great system, my warning is half as dire as previous warnings.

In contrast, a whoopie sling setup places all the load in a single line.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    At this point in my life, I'm just not willing to give up the chance to say Whoopie Sling, anytime someone asks me, "What's that?"

Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast