DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I like to jump in my hammock without worries that the suspension will snap at any moment. Using cordage that doesn't even meet the most mild safety guidelines is just something I will ever do. I know for a fact that paracord will damage even hardwoods. I have a small forest on my property that I frequently hang from with friends and I have noticed several marks left by the suspension of my tarp lines which are very similar to paracord in diameter. If a tarp line will mark up a tree real bad then I am pretty sure a hammock suspension will too. Webbing really helps lessen the damage...

There is always going to be a difference of opinion on this subject and some people will stick with what they know and that is just how it is sometimes.
    I'll post some picks of the tree damage on my property, later this week.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    The figures given over and over in this thread are not just being thrown out there to put you off. They've been put to more than just a single strain or breakage demonstration.

This advice is being offered in order to keep ALL of us in the air. Please do the next hanger coming down the trail behind you a favor and use 1" Poly straps. It does protect the trees better, and people are starting to understand that. Perhaps no other advancement in our pastime has done as much for Hammock PR than Tree Saver Straps.

I'm am almost absolutely sure that a set of straps might be sent to you free of charge, if you'd offer to switch the rest of your suspension out to accommodate it. This forums is full of really good people, who wouldn't see the cost of a couple straps, worth the potential for damage to both the trees and the community's growing good reputation.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 06-09-2013 at 22:19.
    Signature suspended

Suspension
    Whoopie and Straps
    Hello, new member here. I have found that there is often a bit of ambiguity regarding the 10:1 safety factors often referenced on these forums. What I mean by this is, that I have been wondering what the point of reference should be for establishing this ratio--should we start with the breaking strength of the cordage (or clip/carabiner), or the published safe work load?

It seems that the Figure 9 referenced herein has an SWL of 150 lbs. This might indicate a breaking strength as much as 10 times greater than this. But without consulting the manufacturer, it would be nearly impossible to tell. Assuming that the breaking strength indeed is 1500 lbs., and the user just over 200 lbs in his hammock, he might be in the 8:1 safety factor zone. This assumes the 30-degree hang angle as mentioned above, which results in the vertical load being transferred to both cords. Of course, one should never apply a load to anything that is greater than the published SWL!

Regarding the paracord, again, is 500 lbs. the SWL? And what safety factor does the manufacturer base that on? 5:1? 10:1? Further, what assumptions must be made for wear and tear, loss of strength when looped through the Figure 9, and the hanging angle being imperfect?

I am trying to determine what I should purchase for my own setup, but I don't want to go overboard with amsteel or any other premium material unless I can justify it. A few extra bucks would not mean much if I was a serious backpacker/hammocker, but I am just looking for something "safe" for occasional recreational use at the park. Thanks for any input!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahalo View Post
    ...It seems that the Figure 9 referenced herein has an SWL of 150 lbs....

Manufacturer states "working load" (not SWL) of 150 lbs and is intended for use as a tie down and not as a support for humans. Very little chance there is a built in 10:1 safety factor

Regarding the paracord, again, is 500 lbs. the SWL?

550 paracord is rated with a minimum breaking strength of 550 lbs...no additional safety factor in this rating.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    I've never used paracord for anything other than making pretty little bracelets and once I used it as a tarp ridgeline because my amsteel wasn't in yet. Even tying off paracord in the back yard overnight, there is noticeable sag and stretch the next morning, I'm not sure what kind of cordage OP got, but every mil.spec rated cord I've used has this issue, from cheap to more expensive, still stretches. You can pre stretch the cord, but to me in the end afterwards you've pushed it to its structural integrity, it's just not made to support weight. The "paracord" was used to attach gear to the harness, and the suspension lines were made up of 78, if I remember correctly, cords that attached the canopy to the harness. The myth that the cord can support a humans weight from the drop has led many to believe the cordage is the be all end all.

Mahalo, I'd buy once and cry once, not leaving my suspension to chance with 550 cord. Buy some amsteel whoopie slings and tree webbing and call it done, in the end, those two things combined aren't too expensive and you have the satisfaction knowing that your suspension is up to par and will hold.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I am trying to determine what I should purchase for my own setup, but I don't want to go overboard with amsteel or any other premium material unless I can justify it. A few extra bucks would not mean much if I was a serious backpacker/hammocker, but I am just looking for something "safe" for occasional recreational use at the park. Thanks for any input!
    I just made my first pair of whoopie slings. Total material cost? $10.80. I find that to be incredibly cheap for a suspension system that is guaranteed to hold my weight. I ordered a bunch of paracord a couple of years ago, and I don't recall it being much cheaper than that. The slings themselves took me a total of 30 minutes to make on my first try, so even time invested is minimal.

Suspension
    Whoopie and Straps

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
    Mahalo, I'd buy once and cry once, not leaving my suspension to chance with 550 cord. Buy some amsteel whoopie slings and tree webbing and call it done, in the end, those two things combined aren't too expensive and you have the satisfaction knowing that your suspension is up to par and will hold.
    Thank you all above for your valuable responses. I mostly like to understand why I am doing things before actually doing them, and with your combined advice, I feel a lot better about it. I've got the webbing straps, now onto the whoopie slings. Can the amsteel be used in other configurations (figure 8 lashings, etc.)? Thanks again.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Thank you all above for your valuable responses. I mostly like to understand why I am doing things before actually doing them, and with your combined advice, I feel a lot better about it. I've got the webbing straps, now onto the whoopie slings. Can the amsteel be used in other configurations (figure 8 lashings, etc.)? Thanks again.
    Splice Amsteel - it's not a rope that lends itself to knots.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie

Re: Figure-9 Tensioners + Parachute Cord= Not New?

Reasoning behind it not holding well to knots is because its awful slippery. Knots tend to slide loose.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Another excellent suspension if Amsteel is not your 'cup of tea' is polyester webbing with buckles. They are strong and easily adjustable.
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast