Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truehart View Post
    Cannibal, do you have any suggestions on where to purchase a decent Brazilian?
    Retail shops like Hammocks.com, Seaside Hammocks, Swings N Things, etc, are usually the best places. You can dig down into the artisan groups and find the 'real thing', but that is generally more work than is necessary. The retail shops get most of their stuff from the same folks, they just do the leg-work for you. There will be lots of factory-made Brazilians, but that's OK since there is less artistry in the Brazilian design than the others. It's really just a sheet of heavy fabric with multiple "arms" feeding into the anchor knot. Doesn't take a craftsman to do that, like it does to weave a Mayan or Nic design.
    Trust nobody!

Thank you Cannibal! This is a wealth of info and clears up my doubts so far. Now to tackle the online stores and find one that fits!

I'll look for one that's 4m and up, with a width of 2m. I'm guessing these should be safe margins to give me a more obtuse diagonal lay. I'll consider both Mayans and Nics. Dense weave all the way

Hi,

I'm going camping on Father's Day weekend. I need to buy a Brazilian for the same.

Can you recommend one of these or an alternate one. And no, I'm not considering technical fabrics because I like cotton and I'll be using it at home everyday.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/xlb...richammock.cfm

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/xln...ngehammock.cfm

http://www.myhammock.com/proddetail....2DBNOVA&cat=10

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/lar...withfringe.cfm

Thank you!

A no-see-um bugnet recommendation would also be greatly appreciated because I am unable to find one for a 14' hammock.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Lauremideus; 05-27-2014 at 17:31.

Hammock
    DD frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    PLUQ & PLOQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    WOW this thread was really helpful to me...being that over the weekend I made the switch and ditched the bed

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I sleep on one of these every night. https://www.byerofmaine.com/paradiso...ck-double.html

I love it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My first hammock bought strictly for indoor sleeping was an ENO. I loved it; thought it was the best thing in the world. Then, I got a big cotton Brazilian and realized true comfort. There is just a distinct difference between nylon/poly and cotton for long-term use. Camping hammocks are for camping. I don't use my quilts for cover at home either. Right tool for the job and all that.
    Thank you for this. I'm planning on making the switch from a bed, and have been going back and forth between getting a dedicated Brazilian or Mayan, or getting a camping hammock and using it as a hybrid indoor/outdoor hammock. In the end, I decided to go the comfort route and get a Mayan to start with, since I'll probably only be camping one or two more times this year.

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBlunder View Post
    Thank you for this. I'm planning on making the switch from a bed, and have been going back and forth between getting a dedicated Brazilian or Mayan, or getting a camping hammock and using it as a hybrid indoor/outdoor hammock. In the end, I decided to go the comfort route and get a Mayan to start with, since I'll probably only be camping one or two more times this year.
    Good choice; I'm new to hanging and I recently purchased my first hammock, a Mayan cotton hammock. It is wonderful for the warm weather months as I do not get hot at all. In fact, in the mornings it's cool enough for me to desire snuggling in a flat sheet for warmth. When the cold weather comes though, I'll probably get a Brazilian hammock as those are supposed to be warmer in cooler weather.

Are you planning to purchase a stand also, or are you going to hang from the walls? I purchased a Vario stand, but I'm considering hanging from the walls because I think my hammock sits a little too low. I could probably extend the arms on my stand one or two more notches, but I'm already at 13-feet hanging distance, which is a bit too far based on the suggested hang distance for my hammock. The positive thing about a low hanging hammock is the ease of getting in and out.

I just finished adding two mounting points on my walls in the bedroom in preparation for the arrival. I grabbed a 2x6 and cut two 3' lengths, got a bunch of deck screws and attached it to the wall, with an eye bolt in the center. I ended up drilling an inset into the back of it so I could attach the eye bolt, so I may have compromised the structural integrity. Seems solid enough though.

IMG_20140713_184832.jpg

I was thinking about getting a stand, but at this point, I don't feel like spending the money. Also, part of the reason I'm switching to a hammock is to gain some more walking space in my room.

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBlunder View Post
    I just finished adding two mounting points on my walls in the bedroom in preparation for the arrival. I grabbed a 2x6 and cut two 3' lengths, got a bunch of deck screws and attached it to the wall, with an eye bolt in the center. I ended up drilling an inset into the back of it so I could attach the eye bolt, so I may have compromised the structural integrity. Seems solid enough though.

I was thinking about getting a stand, but at this point, I don't feel like spending the money. Also, part of the reason I'm switching to a hammock is to gain some more walking space in my room.
    Thank you for the picture. Wow, that's a lot of screws.

"...compromised the structural integrity." I don't think so. See this post.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Don't overlook a DIY made from crinkle taffetta. We made ours from blanks from tableclothfactory.com. I can not imagine a more comfortable hammock. (These blanks are already hemmed around the edges, you just have finish the ends...took me about 20 minutes per hammock. We made ours double layered, so we can put thin insulation in the bottom.)
    Did you sew that end channel, or did it come like that? I love taffeta hammocks! I've been looking for some material to make my own. Might have to price out some blanks from this site.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast