Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Most Comfortable Indoor Hammock for Bed Replacement?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a hammock to replace my bed, and I'm looking for the most comfortable one there is. I saw this: http://www.hammocksrada.com/27-crochet-hammocks.html# and I'm intrigued by it. And I saw on a thread people recommend the Tommy Hamaca XX Grande: http://www.seasidehammocks.com/TOMMY...ANDE-p213.html I'm willing to spend more money to get the best product. Any hammock should be cheaper than a new bed!

Also, I know there are Mayan, Brazilian, Venezuelan, Nicaraguan, etc etc styles too. I saw someone say that Cannibal is the most knowledgeable on this topic, and he recommends Brazilian.

On a bed, I sleep on my side with my arm going up under my head, with a pillow in between my head and my arm, and a body pillow to lay on about halfway to stomach sleeping. It's the only way I can sleep, but it can cause my clavicle to hurt, and my arm to go to sleep.

I'm hoping a hammock would alleviate this problem, and maybe I'd want to sleep differently with a hammock anyway, although I'm not sure yet. I bought a Hennessy for testing. My initial impressions are that it would be a lot different, and hopefully better, sleeping on a nice indoor hammock.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Let me start off by saying that a Hennessy probably isn't the best choice for indoor hanging. They're great for camping, in fact, it's what I use.
    For indoor hanging, I've been comfy in an ENO double, and a single when traveling. Right now I use a canvas hammock with a blanket cloth liner, definitely NOT a camping hammock. It probably weighs enough to make a gram weenie cry! but its comfy and warm : )
    I also just ordered a Mayan to try out, it should be here in a week or so.
    As you pointed out already, Cannibal is the indoor hammock guru, he'll point you in the right direction.
    Debi

Thanks Debi, I sent him a PM.

I also saw this crocheted hammock by Seaside Hammocks: http://www.seasidehammocks.com/MAYAN...ANDE-p231.html

I wonder which one is better. The Hammocks Rada one looks finer, so I wonder if it's more comfortable, but the Seaside Hammocks one looks sturdier.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

I've tried five different hammocks and have to tell you, try a BIAS camper xl or something very close to it. It is super comfortable, soft, cool and perfectly flat lay. I sleep similar to the way you do and these long, wide nylon hammocks really provide comfort. If you get a double layer and put a blanket between the layer it's warm in the winter.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Cannibal needs to weigh in on this.. he was telling me about his Mayan hammock . . .
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinajeep View Post
    I've tried five different hammocks and have to tell you, try a BIAS camper xl or something very close to it. It is super comfortable, soft, cool and perfectly flat lay. I sleep similar to the way you do and these long, wide nylon hammocks really provide comfort. If you get a double layer and put a blanket between the layer it's warm in the winter.
    Cool, thanks for the suggestion! Have you tried the Switchback, Lite Owl, Roaming Gnome or Darien?

Those are currently the ones I'm looking at for camping.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

I've tried Mayan, Mexican, the whole eno line, the chrysalis bridge, Hennessy, a locally make packers hammock and the super cheap but well made Target hammock. The BIAS is better for indoors than all of them. (Wow that is way more than 5) lol
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Don't overlook a DIY made from crinkle taffetta. We made ours from blanks from tableclothfactory.com. I can not imagine a more comfortable hammock. (These blanks are already hemmed around the edges, you just have finish the ends...took me about 20 minutes per hammock. We made ours double layered, so we can put thin insulation in the bottom.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duffy; 06-10-2013 at 05:51.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakAes View Post
    I saw someone say that Cannibal is the most knowledgeable on this topic, and he recommends Brazilian.
    Obsession should never be confused with knowledge.

I've looked at that crochet hammock before too. I admit to being tempted, but have never been tempted enough to pull the trigger. It looks like (just an opinion) some gimmick for Mayans. Might be super comfortable, but my spidey-sense tells me to leave my wallet on the counter. Also, seems counter-intuitive but it really seems that the thinner cord Mayans provide the highest level of comfort. That may be totally me, but I haven't enjoyed my thick-cord Mayans as much as my thin-cord rigs. Can't tell you why, but it is what it is. In fact, most of the crochet hammocks I've seen have been crocheted of very thin cord. This one kind of stands out due to its use of thick-cord.

I do think that the Brazilians offer the greatest amount of flexibility for home sleeping. They are easily the easiest to launder, they tend to be warmer, and nothing gets snagged in them. Given you are just outside of San Fran, warmer might be worth some consideration. Not that you will be able to go year-round without some insulation below you in a Brazilian, but it will extend your quilt-less season a few weeks. I sleep in Mayans during the summer months. In fact, given that they are predicting near 100° days for the rest of this week, I might just make my switch over the next few days. The one thing that I really don't like about Mayans, and to a lesser degree Nics, is the opportunity to get a toe, a finger, a ..... caught in the weave of the hammock. This happened to me once with a toe when I was trying to get out of the hammock in a hurry. Must have been hilarious to watch me from an observer position, but wasn't terribly fun for me. It's always in the back of my mind when I'm in a Mayan now. But, they sure are comfy when it is super hot out; can't be beat in the heat performance category.

I would heartily suggest finding a hammock retailer. Although after a quick Google search, it looks like someone needs to open a hammock shop in California. Who'd of thought! I'm very hesitant to offer suggestion on Mayans because the bulk of my collection are in the mid-quality range. I will say that for sleeping on your own, the really wide ones are overkill. Length is more important than width, but only to a point with Mayans. If you go all-in and opt for one of the mega-family sized Mayans, then sleeping perpendicular to the anchor points becomes a very comfortable experience. Although it ups the ante for space requirements when the hammock is occupied.

If I were to offer any advice, it would probably be to buy a couple/few cheap Mayans if you're married to that style. I know I sound like a broken record on this, but for cheap Mayans you can't beat Hammocks Rada. By cheap, I mean price. I've been buying hammocks from them for a few years now and it is my goto gift site. Their hammocks are decent quality and their service is great! You can get a feel for whatever Mayan style you want for a very small price. Find what style you like and start shopping at some of the higher-end Mayan shops. In fact, here is a crochet hammock for $100 and change less the price of the one you linked from Seaside. You can get Mayans with thick cord, or thin cord for less than $50. See which one you dig better and then upgrade in that vein. For the most part, as the cost of Mayans increases, so does the density of the weave. The weave density is the real magic-maker in Mayans. If you like a thick-cord at the low end of the price spectrum, you'll love the thick-cord at the higher end of the spectrum.

From my experience, I can spend as little as $100 and get a very comfortable Brazilian. For about 50% more, I can find bliss in a Mayan. On the Nics, $200 is closer to the price line for comfort. Obviously, you can spend much more on any of these models, but unless you are accustomed to sleeping on some kind of crazy thread-count sheets, it really isn't necessary. I will say that the most comfortable hammock I ever laid in was almost $500 and it was a Nic. I still dream about that hammock sometimes, but have never been able to find it since seeing it in that shop in Boulder. It was glorious!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL; BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG Hex; WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    20d Yeti; EE RevX
    Suspension
    Toggles & Whoopies
    I have been sleeping every night for the past four plus months on my BIAS Weight Weenie. Best sleep I've had in a LONG time, and I don't awaken with the stiffness I used to...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Here's a short video I recorded describing my goals for my 2013 AT SOBO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg0K0YDlFEE

My website: http://www.JourneyThruLyme.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast