bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Mini-locs? Can someone link a pic...

That sounds quite handy that you can adjust the tarp from under the tarp. But the question I would be more pressed to ask is: Does it allow for installation of the tarp quickly and easily? If so then I will most definitely have to get myself a pair.
    Here ya go!

Some of the other HF vendors carry such as well.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I'm going to post a short writeup later today, but after 7 weeks outdoors in the hammock, using an OMW & wbbb, there are only a couple comments I have to make;

Mesh snakeskinz are the shiznit
    So are dutchware stingerz

Seam sealing is required for any tarp I have ever used, maybe someday I'll have a CF tarp, but until then seam sealer seam sealer seam sealer...and remove any spreader bars if you have them, something pressing down on the ridgeline will create a leak point for precip penetration.

Clips, biners, nothing will stop rain dripping down the suspension in a downpour but I will be buying some hairclips for infants at WallyWorld. Theyare flat, have a little foam on the inside and will conform to the shape of the strap or line used for suspension. A pair of those at either end will be tested later today or later this week.

Then I tie a rag/neckerchief to the bottom of the suspension to soak up whatever gets past, before it reaches the hammock.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 06-10-2013 at 11:21. Reason: Spelling

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Clips, biners, nothing will stop rain dripping down the suspension in a downpour but I will be buying some hairclips for infants at WallyWorld. Theyare flat, have a little foam on the inside and will conform to the shape of the strap or line used for suspension. A pair of those at either end will be tested later today or later this week.

Then I tie a rag/neckerchief to the bottom of the suspension to soak up whatever gets past, before it reaches the hammock.
    Good idea on the handkerchief.
    But out of all the times I have hung in the rain; my hammock never got wet from water running down the suspension, even in the last downpour. The ring buckles are a perfect drip point and do not allow any water past it from my limited experiences in the rain; that may change with more experience. I'm guessing you're using Whoopies or UCRs because I can see how those would transfer water to the hammock quite easily. But i'm sure adding some dutchware to the point where the suspension touches the hammock will solve that problem. The hair clips also seem to be a good solution also.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I was using straps, the wbbb straps, and only about a foot of strap was exposed at either end cause I have the 12ft omw but even that was enough.

What happens is when there is enough rain, the rain saturates the edge of the strap and that creates a little highway for the rest of the rain to follow. It even got past the cinch buckle.

Mind you, it has to be a lot of rain, but that's what we've had here over the last several days.

Up until the , I had about a dozen nights in average rainfall without any issues, but the pounding we've taken over the last 4 days highlighted some issues.

I'll get a video uploaded, you'll hear the difference and see the drops. It wasn't terrible, I was able to keep most gear dry, but since I'm living outdoors for a couple months and am worried about mold/mildew, even a little bit is cause for concern.

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Rig the mini line locs like Shanes method to be able to adjust the without leaving the tarp.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25052

If you use them the normal way they will be closer down by your stakes.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonepile View Post
    Rig the mini line locs like Shanes method to be able to adjust the without leaving the tarp.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25052

If you use them the normal way they will be closer down by your stakes.
    I like it..Gonna get a set for sure.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I use the mini linelocs as Shane suggests and like them. I will probably continue using them on all my tarp tieouts. However, with rain running down your tarp and pouring off the edge, you reach through this little waterfall to adjust the lines. Your body may stay dry, but your forearms, wrists and hands can get soaked. Ugh! It's best if your guy lines don't absorb a lot of water. Also good if you routinely coil the ends up so they don't drag in the dirt. Whatever you do, don't lean out from under the tarp to get a closer look at the connection, as water can pour down the back of your neck.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    On the continuous ridge line I use prussics and mini-S biners. On the tie outs, I have the prussics up at the tarp end. Then I can tighten down the corners from inside if need be.

Hi,sueb2b! How goes the UQ project??
    Last edited by Jcavenagh; 06-10-2013 at 21:20.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have doors on my tarp, and I use whoopie slings with whoopie hooks. I've never had water come down the suspension and get my hammock wet.

Also, these under-the-tarp adjustment systems seem a bit futile to me. I don't see how you could pitch a tarp from under the tarp - adjust the tarp, yes, but pitch it? You have to get wet for that if it's raining.

Am I not being imaginative enough?

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Whatever you do, don't lean out from under the tarp to get a closer look at the connection, as water can pour down the back of your neck.
    Hmmmmm, I wonder what kind of noise a WV makes when that happens, especially if it is a cold rain.

Carry on,
    Jason

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast