Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Great post. Been thinking of doing this same thing for a while. THanks for all the lessons-learned.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mac cat
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopie
    My first hang was in the rain. It was dry when we set up camp, and started raining not long after we went to sleep. It must have rained from 12am-9am. Stayed warm and dry the entire time. All in all a great trip

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Re: Pouring Rain Experiences

I love hammock camping in the rain.

I have a wl big day tarp, I set it up in porch mode and listen to the patter while I watch my friend confine to their cramped tents lol.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    I just put in my order for a big daddy tarp from WL and 2 tadpoles, one for my wife and the other for our boy. Can't wait to get them in. Last night was our first night in the rain in a hammock. Harbor Freight tarp on a poly cord ridgeline, one spliced end with a mini biner and the other a prusik with figure 9. A storm moved through at about 2am, stayed nice and dry throughout the entire night. Felt like we accomplished something, haha.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing & rings
    Images
    This is a good write up. I just moved back to Virginia in time for all these early summer storms and pitched my hammock under my new WL tadpole i have rigged with a single line suspension from whoopieslings.com. Just had a torrential downpour that lasted about 30 minutes and went to check my gear and the hammock and bug net are bone dry. Pitched my tarp too low, so I have to duck way down, but next time I have it up in a storm, I'll have to hang it higher and try my luck at packing up.

And these line loks look interesting. Might have to look into them.

Hammock
    Wbbb, chameleon, Darian
    Tarp
    Dutch tarp,minifly
    Insulation
    Jacks

Pouring Rain Experiences

I just started hanging and have yet to hang in the rain but have lots of experience tent camping in the rain. It has to be better than waking up in wet tent with you pad floating around in water when you get off of it. One of the reasons I switched to a hammock.
    We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody361 View Post
    I just started hanging and have yet to hang in the rain but have lots of experience tent camping in the rain. It has to be better than waking up in wet tent with you pad floating around in water when you get off of it. One of the reasons I switched to a hammock.
    My first night in a hammock (Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip) it rained five inches. I wouldn't have known; I was high and dry. If I was in a tent, I probably couldn't have slept thinking about the deluge (that and my aching back).

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody361 View Post
    One of the reasons I tell folks that hammocks are perfect for down here in the "Sunshine" State--our thunderstorms (FL is the #1 state in the union for lightning-related fatalities). If you're getting soaked from underneath in an hammock, you have bigger problems than just getting wet.

My last time I spent in a t**t, I was floating on the pad, hoping that my bathtub floor didn't spring a leak, at 3 AM. My first "group" hang, it rained on me for ~18 or 20 hours, and I stayed completely bone dry in the hammock. Not much else I can say about that...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Wbbb, chameleon, Darian
    Tarp
    Dutch tarp,minifly
    Insulation
    Jacks

Pouring Rain Experiences

I remember camping with a bunch of cub scouts in the pouring rain and had tornado warnings in the next county. My son telling me daddy there is a pool in our tent.
    We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Preaching to the choir here, but I do use Shane's method with mini-lineloks on my tarps. Camped last spring in a ravine with a few leveled tent sites. Came a 'howling thundergust' complete with 50+mph winds, sheets of rain, several periods of hail. Went on for several hours. We were really worried, because it was our first trip with down underquilts. We stayed dry and warm. The tent sites looked like swimming pools. Notice I reinforced my stakes with rocks, logs (glad I did!). Second pic is morning after.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234