Clark NA in a Tropical Storm

Decided to test my new NA during tropical storm "Andrea" in central MA.

Conditions: 45F, 2.68in of rain, and wind gusts up to 27MPH

Gear: Clark NA w/XL Rain Fly, Siris 40F bag, webbing+biner+rings sus

Headed out around 8:45PM on Friday evening in the woods of a friend who has a couple acres of land to work with. Found a suitable spot for two hammocks and got to work.

Kept with Clark's advice to leave the tarp connected to the hammock for the first hang. This kept the hammock dry throughout the setup process, which overall took about 15 minutes in the dark and pouring rain. My opinion would be to detach the tarp from the hammock even if its the first time, it seemed to add a layer of complication that would have been easier with a traditional setup. (Sliding the bungie around in the rain was a pain). Secondly you are going to want to ditch the poly rope that comes with the hammock. Sure it's strong but it was super slick in the rain, almost unusable.

I wanted to test out the "built in insulation" down to 35F that Clark states the pockets under the hammock act as. Using a summer bag I never felt cold except in the footbox as there are no bags there. I would say if you are a warm sleeper like myself, 40F will feel fine without a UQ. I deployed the weather shield on the hammock itself for a bit of extra warmth and wind protection (it shouldn't be used as waterproofing, because it isn't waterproof). I have to say overall the weather shield definitely keeps the cold out, as opening the shield to check the temp revealed it was really holding in the heat without getting all condensation covered inside.

In the morning I awoke completely dry and the storm was over. The Rain Fly tarp proved to be completely waterproof, and it kept out the wind without coming loose at all.

Overall I was very happy with the purchase, even though its more expensive than other hammock options. This thing will end up being a great harsh weather and winter hammock. Sure it could be lighter for the summer, but it is an all arounder IMO.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7, Lite owl
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Potomac, Jarbidge
    Congrats on the Clark. I always like to hear great reviews about the original jungle hammocks.....even though its getting harder and harder to fight the desire to buy a nx250

Quote Originally Posted by holantr View Post
    Congrats on the Clark. I always like to hear great reviews about the original jungle hammocks.....even though its getting harder and harder to fight the desire to buy a nx250
    The nx250 is a nice hammock, however I didn't feel like dealing with the extra poles. Perhaps if I was a bit larger I would want the extra space, as it stands (as I stand ) I'm only 5'7" and the hammock is roomy enough for me.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holantr View Post
    Per Seamroy's post that follows yours, smaller Clarks with the same features you want may be large enough. Clarks come in 8, 8.5, and 9 ft long models. I hold onto a 9ft NX250, my first Clark, just to lend it to a large friend or to one of any size who thinks a smaller one is not large enough. At Seamroy's height and 150lb, I find the 8ft models plenty roomy, with comfortable lays. Throughout 500+ nights.

On poles: The second set, for the foot end, are about air space for the feet and symmetry: not necessary. But, I'm personally glad to have spent on converting 8ft Tropical II and ULs --neither model any longer offered by Clark -- to the NX 150 / NX250 poled / hooped design. I value the airiness around the head against the burden/hassle of the hoops. The UL, crosses a threshhold into perceived- small-size. Love it. Partial UQ, 30F TQ and UL will all stuff into the Clark stuff sack.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-12-2013 at 14:13. Reason: lost weight

• + New Posts