Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Backpacking Trips near DC?

So with the impending furlough of gov't employees, I'm hoping to put my 3 day weekends to good use and get in some much needed backpacking/hanging. That said I'm having a hard time finding loop hikes to go on in the Washington DC Area (within about 3 hours).

I'm interested in backpacking trips for 1-3 nights, that start and end at the same place, with minimal use of the same trail in opposite directions. I also don't mind hiking a few miles then setting up a base camp at a scenic location to spend a few nights at, then hiking out again.

Since I'm just starting out, the only actual trail maps in the area I own are of Shenandoah, and the WV/MD/PA AT trail map. So I'm hoping you can all direct me to finding good backpacking trips in the area so I can just buy those maps, rather than all of them.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    EMT

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    There is a trip this weekend in snp. Look in the trips-----> southeast section

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I was on the AT in Maryland south bound and met a guy going NoBo; I asked him if he thru'ed from Springer-he said no, he'd started in Washington DC. He used the C/O to get to the AT. Years later we biked the C/O and saw quite a few backpackers. So you have a really nice and viable trail in your back yard.

also, check out hikingupward.com. lot of good hikes described there.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    diy whoopie slings

Re: Backpacking Trips near DC?

Subscribed. Looking to get started backpacking with some time off this summer.

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    http://www.midatlantichikes.com/

This site has another interactive map for MD, VA, PA, & WV
    -Turtle Creek

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EMTsNightmare View Post
    So with the impending furlough of gov't employees, I'm hoping to put my 3 day weekends to good use and get in some much needed backpacking/hanging. That said I'm having a hard time finding loop hikes to go on in the Washington DC Area (within about 3 hours).

I'm interested in backpacking trips for 1-3 nights, that start and end at the same place, with minimal use of the same trail in opposite directions. I also don't mind hiking a few miles then setting up a base camp at a scenic location to spend a few nights at, then hiking out again.

Since I'm just starting out, the only actual trail maps in the area I own are of Shenandoah, and the WV/MD/PA AT trail map. So I'm hoping you can all direct me to finding good backpacking trips in the area so I can just buy those maps, rather than all of them.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    EMT
    So a while back an HF member who goes by 'Dutch' and I got together for a hiking adventure in Shenandoah, left the cars at the Old Rag trailhead and made a loop. "Out" was not on the AT, "Back" was, more or less, at least a good chunk of it. Geographic details to be found in this trip report. Nice hike, I'd do it again.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I was on the AT in Maryland south bound and met a guy going NoBo; I asked him if he thru'ed from Springer-he said no, he'd started in Washington DC. He used the C/O to get to the AT. Years later we biked the C/O and saw quite a few backpackers. So you have a really nice and viable trail in your back yard.
    I've thought about the C&O Canal, but after hiking the 3 miles or so outside Harpers Ferry I think I'd go nuts backpacking it for longer distances. I may still attempt to bike it though.

Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    also, check out hikingupward.com. lot of good hikes described there.
    I had looked there, but there are only a few hikes over 15 miles in length and very few loops. I'll spend some more time poking around for potential basecamp type hikes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Creek View Post
    http://www.midatlantichikes.com/

This site has another interactive map for MD, VA, PA, & WV
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

And I'm currently reading GrizzlyAdams' trip report. Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming!

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Drive a little further and go to Dolly Sods, WV. Other than that the AT is about as good as it gets in this area. You can make some trips work in the parks near me (Gambrill, Cunningham, Catoctin, Greenbrier) but you'll be staying at a car camping site and you'll need reservations... Kind of a turn off for me.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

there are a number of circuit hikes that are fantastic in the Shenandoah (map 10 central district is a great place to start) that fit your description. Another good place to check is Roanoke - Cole Mtn hike is awesome. Of course WVA and PA have great options as stated...and there is a terrific park in MD but can't remember the name - I think it is right on the PA border.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast