Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Bugs in the Northwoods

For those planning a trip up to anyplace along the South and North shores of Lake Superior think bugs. Unseasonal cool and wet conditions has resulted in the worst early bug season (mossies, ticks & flies) I can remember for the past several years. Previous years have been relatively too dry.

For those unaware of the mining controversy up here just google Gogebic Taconite mine location. GTac is in the process of drilling 8 exploratory sites. Supposedly this area of the Penokee Mtn. range has one of the largest iron ore deposits left in N. America. The open pit mines could run from an area around Mellen, WI to Lake Gogebic in the U.P. Sort of cuts into the North Country Trail.
    So even with the bugs a visit up here should be considered if planning to hike the Mellen section of the NCT. May get bit ugly in the not to distant future.
    Noel V.

I hear you on the bugs! The second weekend of June we were driven out of Pictured Rocks and had to cut our backpacking trip short because of them. Even met up with a couple on the road doing the same thing and ended up sharing a ride back to Miner's Castle with them. The mosquitos we're relentless and made covering up everything and using the headnet mandatory.

Hammock
    Diy rip stop
    Tarp
    DIY Ripstop hex
    Insulation
    diy climashld UQTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My cousin and I will be braving the bugs this coming weekend! I guess it's long sleeves and head nets...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Brave hangers up there. The skeeters and deer flies are out in force down here. Have had a few of the deer flies bit thru my t shirt.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    BIAS WW w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    WS/TH
    I spent a couple of nights in the McCormick Wilderness (Ottawa National Forest) in early June and the black flies were terrible. No wind or rain to keep them away.

I was with a group of relatively inexperienced hikers and loaned out every bandanna in my pack for use as face masks (use #34876 for bandannas).

Everything cleared up at night, but I would strongly recommend nets/bug spray for anytime you pan on standing still.

I'm taking a canoe down the Ontonagan next month, hopefully it clears up a by then.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Take mosquito sticks...http://www.rei.com/product/670529/co...s-package-of-5
    They cut the bugs in half at least.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    For those planning a trip up to anyplace along the South and North shores of Lake Superior think bugs. Unseasonal cool and wet conditions has resulted in the worst early bug season (mossies, ticks & flies) I can remember for the past several years. Previous years have been relatively too dry.

For those unaware of the mining controversy up here just google Gogebic Taconite mine location. GTac is in the process of drilling 8 exploratory sites. Supposedly this area of the Penokee Mtn. range has one of the largest iron ore deposits left in N. America. The open pit mines could run from an area around Mellen, WI to Lake Gogebic in the U.P. Sort of cuts into the North Country Trail.
    So even with the bugs a visit up here should be considered if planning to hike the Mellen section of the NCT. May get bit ugly in the not to distant future.
    Noel,

I have been following those mining events. Seems very sad to me. I am not sure how we resolve the tension between demand and preservation of wild areas. I follow the Bad River Tribe on facebook and they have lots of information about it. The impact on the surrounding environment seems devestating. Hope you have a great summer up there. Just finished paddling the North Fork of the Flambeau with Craig. Great trip.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Diy rip stop
    Tarp
    DIY Ripstop hex
    Insulation
    diy climashld UQTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Take mosquito sticks...http://www.rei.com/product/670529/co...s-package-of-5
    They cut the bugs in half at least.
    Shug
    I've got a couple smoke sticks,bug spray, bug balm, a head net, and long sleeves. If all of that doesn't work, then we will be flailing fools on the trail.

Hammock
    DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    2nd on mosquito sticks..worked great for me when i lived in the Everglades.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    What time of year would the tick population start dwindling, by Sept?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast