Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba

Q? re: 30 degrees...

I have a question regarding the recommended/suggested/encouraged 30 degree suspension angle.

Is that angle determined when the hammock is empty/unloaded, or occupied/loaded? Not having thought on this subject until last night (after hangin' at the rodeo grounds), I did not have the opportunity to assess whether the angle changes, and I haven't run across the matter being discussed anywhere.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I think in an ideal situation you would set up an empty hammock at 30* and it would stay that way. The problem I have found is that some hammocks and suspensions will stretch a little through the night. I usually set up tighter than 30* and allow the stretch to get the angle right. (If I don't I get up in the morning with my quilt on the ground.) When I use a double layer or heavier fabric hammock, with the same suspension, I can set it closer to 30* and it will stay that way through the night.
    Hope that helps...
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    That's the dirty little secret: despite all of the talk about the 30 degree hang, no one has a clue what the final hang angle is. We assume it stays the same. It doesn't.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Q? re: 30 degrees...

I just make sure my rl is tight when I'm in my hammock and that the suspension runs in a straight line from my suspesion to my hammock, again when it is loaded, it is a little more than 30º when unloaded. Not sure if that's how it should be done but it works for me.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I am very glad you asked the question because you exposed something that is quite often over looked.

I have been questioning the standards set forth for various parts of the hammock and suspension for quite awhile now. These questions become challenges over time and I am finding that these standards are sometimes vague and dont account for many factors when I challenge them. My recommendation is to try different things and see what works for you. Like for instance, the 83% rule. One of the most comfortable hammocks I have ever laid in has a ridge line set around 74% with 0 calf ridge and a nice flat lay. It has no special gathering at the end, just bunched up and whipped. When many recommended a special way to gather the end to eliminate calf ridge.

I have also had polyester straps stretch significantly when most say they dont stretch. This just isn't true..They just stretch less than nylon; about 6-9% less (When Dry), a bit more when wet. This is why Dynaglide/Amsteel is so nice to have for your suspension because it is pre-stretched. Straps for just around the tree and Dynaglide/Amsteel for the rest. But I dont mean to drift too far from the topic. My point all comes back to the fact that this "rule" should be looked at more like a guideline. The main reason for having a 30+ degree hang angle is the fact that it lessens the stress on the suspension; the more the angle the less the stress; and for hammocks that do not have a ridgeline, it gives that hammock a lay that is generally accepted as the optimal comfort zone. But does not take into account the length of your ridgeline and whether or not your suspension stretches alot or barely at all, upon entry. You will most likely need to make changes to this guideline to accommodate your hammock and suspension and the two trees you're hanging from.

Your Miles May Vary.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I agree with XTrekker. Its all about personal comfort and I have had great nights sleep in hammocks where the suspension angle was 40%. IIRC the 30 degree angle is a good starting point because it's where each suspension is support the equivalent of your weight. Because of this I think it's 30 degrees when the hammock is loaded.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    XTrekker, thanks for that post.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    30* is a guide as mentioned before. Was playing around with one of my levels and checked my angles at where I'm comfortable in a 1.0 fabric, 11' long hammock that stretches, as do the new, lighter weight straps I made.
    The head is at 30* dead on empty. The foot, which I hang a bit higher, sits at about 35*.
    My ridge line is adjustable and it hangs a bit loose when empty, but set up with the quilts. I tend to adjust it a lot depending on the distance between trees and height of the bottom of the hammock off the ground.
    It's all relative to what you have and where you're comfortable.
    30* is a good place to start and go from there.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    I think in an ideal situation you would set up an empty hammock at 30* and it would stay that way. The problem I have found is that some hammocks and suspensions will stretch a little through the night. I usually set up tighter than 30* and allow the stretch to get the angle right. (If I don't I get up in the morning with my quilt on the ground.) When I use a double layer or heavier fabric hammock, with the same suspension, I can set it closer to 30* and it will stay that way through the night.
    Hope that helps...
    +1, I have found that the lighter weight hammocks have more stretch. I have a double layer that has very little, too no stretch. So, with the ones that I know will stretch a little, I hang higher and tighter.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

I finally tried using an angle closer to 30 degrees and in my clark nx-150 it was WAY more comfortable than when I tried to hang it tighter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast