Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Should I try again?

Hello all...

I've been interested in trying out hanging to see if it fits my needs for backpacking while checking off peaks in the Adks and Cats on my way to becoming a 46er and 35er.

So...I went to my local EMS, purchased a ENO DN and set off on the Finger Lakes Trail to set up and test it out. I hung it from the rafter (horizontal) underneath as I did not have a tarp and we had just had a ton of rain and the forecast for the evening was iffy.

I didn't sleep a wink.

First there were coyotes nearby. Then there were moths attracted to my citronella candle. (those I could have easily gotten over and fallen to sleep)

Then there were the main issues as to why I promptly went and returned it Monday afternoon.

I was cold. I couldn't figure out how to get my mummy bag around my torso and head without falling out, so my underside from my butt up had no protection. It was a balmy 53 degrees, but I was freezing. (Mind you, I will most likely be backpacking in the fall and the past couple of years I've seen temps drop into the low 30s in the mountains at that time of year).

I was not comfortable at all. Was this because of the angle of the hang presumably? Has anyone ever hung from underneath something vs stretching it out between two vertical trees or posts?

I most likely will try again, I know one thing I would like an enclosed hammock. I did have a large beetle in my sleeping bag when I finally decided enough was enough at 0430 and packed up.

Looking forward to everyones insight. Thanks.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    I have not hung under a branch or rafter, but the CBS (Cold But Syndrome) I can speak to. Did you have a pad in your hammock? You need either a pad or an underquilt for bottom insulation. Most start out with a pad since it's something they already have and underquilts can be expensive. If you have an inflatable pad, then let about half of the air out. With a pad you should be able to wear the mummy bag with the zipper open and at the bottom. Get in the hammock and situated on the pad, then stick your legs into the bottom of the bag leaving the zipper open on either side of you. Tuck it in along your sides, maybe wear a light hat and you should be set.
    Most people find that you need some kind of insulation under you (pad or underquilt) if the temps are below 80.
    Good luck and keep us posted
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Don't get discouraged. There is a definite learning curve with hammocks. Take a few days and surf through the site. Ask plenty of questions and you will get plenty of answers. The people around here have been through your situations and will be glad to help you get comfortable.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Don't give up! Read up on on here in the bottom insulation thread, there is tons of great advice there. Get your self a cheap blue tarp from Walmart, I have even seen camo ones there if that's more your style. Set up under trees having your hammock at a 30 degree angle, lay down and get comfy. Your cheap tarp will protect you from rain. Set up in daylight so you can see well and lay down and test it until you get comfy. Once you are comfy you will sleep great.

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Absolutely try again. You've got to tweak the tension/suspension of the hammock to get a good comfortable lay. I've added a ridgeline to my hammock so I can more easily hit my perfect spot when setting up.

You're right, hammocks get cold when temps drop below about 70. Matress pads or under quilts are a must. I've used both and prefer an underquilt, but the Matress worked well when I tried it. I used a blue foam matress and always woke up with a sweaty back because of how snugly it fit to me.

I have a hammock with a built in mosquito net as well as an open hammock with a "fronky" style mosquito net that I can use when I need it. The built in is probably more "effecient" as you just zip the net closed, but I prefer the fronky style net as it's more spacious, and can be completely removed and left at home if I want.

This forum is a huge resource. Sit down and read about insulation, and suspensions and ridgelines and mosquito nets and all things DIY and what have you. But really, how much you get out of it is directly related to how much effort you put into exploring the site. You got the most very basic element of hamocking, the hammock. Now explore how to use it.

...and watch some of Shug's Videos. Start Here
    Last edited by Boon Booni; 06-11-2013 at 11:10.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    That's fantastic that you jumped right into it but that may be the problem you just jumped right into it. Most people buy a hammock, hang in it and get comfortable before ever trying an overnighter. That's pretty much exactly what I did at least. Once they find a hammock they like they then begin to slowly add to it. Experimenting with suspension, possibly trying out different hammocks, wet weather by adding a tarp then more suspension lol. Then the real fun things start to happen you start to venture away from home then you have to worry about staying warm dry and comfortable and its usually pretty fun because you have a foundation of experiences to build. So maybe you just got head of yourself. I say don't give up get your hands on another hammock. Id just find a place around the house you can hang. The fun of hanging and natural curiosity should propel you further add a more steady pace.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Truth be told, hammock camping appears to be really simplistic easy and fun, and it is .... just maybe not at first lol. Most of my friends who know how nuts I am about hammocks pretty much just giggle at me. Mainly because they have no idea what's so difficult about it and why in the world there would be a forum dedicated to it. Well until you're out there and you're getting wet and you feel like a banana I guess some people won't get it lol. There is a lot of trial and error but for those of us who in those trials and errors find pleasure .... we like to call hammock forums, home.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Don't give up just yet. A pad is a great place to start to help with CBS.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest, and DIY
    Tarp
    Blue monster from
    Insulation
    SOON im cold
    Suspension
    woopies and hugs
    Don't get discouraged! I am pretty new still with only a few overnight hangs. I got help from other locals who helped me get adjusted then I practiced at home. I am hooked now and want go back to ground.

These guys on HF are great plenty of knowledge here and they are all very helpful. Ask questions and keep us informed.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7, Lite owl
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Potomac, Jarbidge
    Do yourself a favor and buy the book "the ultimate hang". It's very informative for beginners and the exteriences alike. I was interested in hammocks, but I was having some issues. I bought the book and it answered all my questions I had. Is well worth the money and is a great resource to reference

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast