Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MLD UL
    Insulation
    3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Undecided
    I own two Kammocks now and love them despite the carabiner issue I posted.

Used them in a great hang at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula in Lake Superior this weekend. Right along-side my wifes HH and my WBBB.

The hammocks are large, comfortable, and dead simple to use for my 7 and 9 year old girls. They python straps are the easiest and safest method I have found yet.

That said, they are expensive for what you get and not at all ideal for backpacking. My daughters will outgrow these and use better systems when they get older. These will then retire as comfortable fixtures at home.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Forgive me for digging up a slightly old thread but I thought it a good place to give my impressions now I've had experience with Kammok. I bought the complete set up via Kickstarter on impulse. I was always hearing how comfortable hammocks are etc etc and the Glider sucked me in.

I've just spent about two weeks travelling with it so I think I can give a balanced report on it now.

The Good:
    - Overall, everything is well made. Few long threads left behind etc but that's about it.
    - The Python straps are strong, quick and very easy to use. Plenty of adjustment and I never had an issue getting them set up.
    - The Roo hammock is very comfortable. I'm not sure how revolutionary the lunar weave or whatever it's called is but it is soft and nice against the skin.
    - The Drgaonfly net works well. It's a very fine mesh which will keep anything out and it's certainly large enough and being able to remove it is nice.
    - The Glider tarp could've been a little larger. It just barely covers the hammock. I have about an inch either end to work with and would've liked more for piece of mind. The gimmicks (reversible to reflect heat away, water collection) are cool and what sucked me in but they're not as revolutionary as they make out. They certainly do work however.
    - The Storm Doors work well enough. Never had to use them in a full on storm, just rain and wind, but they close the ends in and keep things dry as they should.

Overall it's a comfortable and easy to use system that's well made.

The Bad:
    - The weight and bulk. This is a **** heavy and large system. I really should've put more thought into it before jumping on board. Fine for car or cycle camping etc but I wouldn't want to carry it for a walk in camp. The hammock itself isn't too bad given it's size, I weighed the Roo at 691.4g (24.4oz) inc two carabiners but it goes downhill from there. The Python Straps (inc their storage bag) weigh 364.7g (12.9oz), the Dragonfly (with supplied ridgeline) at 340.5g (12oz), the Glider (with bottle connectors and stuff sack but without bottles) at 830.2g (29.3oz) and the Storm Doors (excluding the 2 extra stakes required but including the stuff sack) at 668.8g (23.6oz)
    - The QC. One of my Storm Doors is missing the bungy and clip. I was able to rig it with some cord to stay dry. Similarly the cord supplied to form the gutters along the body are far too short. The tarp is doubled back upon itself at their longest adjustment so they need to be completely removed to have the tarp sides flat. I'm one of the lucky ones, other people have been missing items completely. Perhaps not QC but I'll include it here, the cord locks used are a type I haven't used before. They had me really confused initially as the way they arrived threaded/tied simply can't work. I spent a fair bit of time trying to figure it out before deciding it had to be wrong and completely removed the cords. Once I did that it only took me minutes to work them out and retie them correctly.
    - Communication. There basically isn't any. As soon as the Kickstarter campaign finished so did the communication. We went weeks without updates only to finally receive an update that really said nothing. Emails continue to go unanswered (I've just sent another today about the missing bungy so if I get a reply I'll come back and update this but I've never had a reply to my previous 3) and people are still waiting for their items or replacements for missing things. In the end they were delivered (to most) about 2 months late. I'd been planning on having mine for this trip and ended up receiving it with only days to spare so had to take it out without ever having unpacked it which I hate doing. I had to discover the missing bungy while standing in the rain.

Overall I think they've got a good product. Certainly one that's not for everyone but it'll certainly fit the needs of some. However, the lack of communication and therefore customer service is unforgiveable and for this reason alone I could never recommend them to anyone. I think the supposed lifetime warranty would be useless given the fact they don't reply to emails. IMO it shows complete contempt for their customers (look at the amount of communication being given to their new kickstarter project while people from the last one with outstanding issues remain unanswered) and so given there are plenty of other brands out there, I'd really have to suggest looking elsewhere.

As for myself, I'll likely keep mine and use it at home or car camping but I'm already looking for another system. It was enough to show me that I do like the hammock concept. I'm not going to be throwing my tent away anytime soon (hammocks are rather useless without trees) but I'll be spending more time in hammocks in the future.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    I can't edit my post above but to update, Kammok have replied concerning my missing bungy and requested a photo of the missing item. While it's good that they've replied it does show poor product knowledge as bungy is only used in one spot on the product. I haven't had any further reply after I sent the requested photo so I don't know if they're sending the missing item or not. I guess if it turns up I'll try and remember to update this again. Oh and still no reply to the 3 earlier emails I sent with other questions.

Images
    Thanks for the review and update apsilon. Hoping they get things fixed as advertized.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    I can fix it myself easily enough but shouldn't have to. At least I'm not missing while components or have a missing shipment like others that don't appear to be getting anywhere.

I had an exceptional customer service response from Big Agnes this week which just further contrasts the difference trying to deal with Kammok.

Hammock
    11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    Cat's Meow & IX UQ
    Suspension
    12'Poly Tree Strap
    I'm curious about the review from Shug that this tread talked about. Maybe I just get really excited when a new Shug video comes out.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Dart View Post
    I'm curious about the review from Shug that this tread talked about. Maybe I just get really excited when a new Shug video comes out.
    I declined on testing one out. Just could not bring myself to say "Kammock".
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Further update to my posts above. It's been 3 weeks since I sent Kammok the requested pic. After chasing them both via email and Kickstater I received a response a few hours ago:

"Trying to figure out how to get you the missing bungy without having you send your storm doors back to us. Sorry for the delay."

Keep in mind all they need to send is a foot of bungy and a plastic clip yet they haven't figured out how to send it in 3 weeks. That's laughable. I've just replied suggesting an envelope and stamp.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apsilon View Post
    Further update to my posts above. It's been 3 weeks since I sent Kammok the requested pic. After chasing them both via email and Kickstater I received a response a few hours ago:

"Trying to figure out how to get you the missing bungy without having you send your storm doors back to us. Sorry for the delay."

Keep in mind all they need to send is a foot of bungy and a plastic clip yet they haven't figured out how to send it in 3 weeks. That's laughable. I've just replied suggesting an envelope and stamp.
    They probably do not have a stock of parts if they contracted for s build of x number of hammocks all they got was complete hammocks. To give you a part they have to pull it off a stock unit.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    They probably do not have a stock of parts if they contracted for s build of x number of hammocks all they got was complete hammocks. To give you a part they have to pull it off a stock unit.
    No doubt. It'd take 30 seconds at most to remove it. They go on about their lifetime warranty etc but in effect it doesn't exist. If they were serious about this warranty and customer service it would've been pulled off a unit immediately and sent out next day if not the same day. 3 weeks and counting to figure this out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast