Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab

Kammok - Where is the love?

I really love the Kammok line. I don't know why it hasn't caught on more with the hammock community. At our group hang in the spring I was the only one there with a Roo, which kind of surprised me.

The group hang gave me a great opportunity to look at and test several brands/models that I had never seen and I don't think there was one of them that could compare with the fabric quality of the Roo in terms of comfort and durability. Plus, it's super long and comfortable with my 6'6" frame (even when I weighed 313 pounds) which is rare.

One thing Kammok is doing that I don't see as much from other vendors is really trying to re-imagine some of the things we take for granted.

Case in point: The new Glider tarp.

I'm really impressed with the idea of it, though I haven't purchased one as of yet. I'm stoked they are looking at improvements that go beyond just looking for reducing weight and improving durability.

The water collection idea is great and I can't believe nobody else has done it to this point. You can get drinking water without having to leave the shelter of your rig to filter water in the middle of a storm. As an added bonus, the weight of the gathered water further steadies the tarp in high winds (which tend to go hand in hand with storms when you need it most). The idea to have a darker and lighter side to either shield or gather heat is really good too. I've always wondered why nobody had done this before.

So what's the deal? What has kept any of you away from the line? Brand loyalty? Stuck in a rut? DIY only?

I would encourage those who have been sticking to the same brands and models for years to give them a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Everything they make, to me, really falls into the ho-hum category. There's nothing they sell that you can't essentially get the same thing from ENO, or TrekLight, Grand Trunk, etc.

The water-collection method has been around for years from Hennessy. It didn't catch on from them mostly because you also collect all the contaminants that are on your tarp surface, right along with the water.

Unless I'm mistaken, most of the Kammock gear is also 'foreign factory' made, as opposed to being hand-made by cottage shops. That's what gets the most attention in this community, simply because people like supporting small businesses, can get to know the people that made their gear, and get great customer service along with it.

JMO
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieCash View Post
    One thing Kammok is doing that I don't see as much from other vendors is really trying to re-imagine some of the things we take for granted.

Case in point: The new Glider tarp.

I'm really impressed with the idea of it, though I haven't purchased one as of yet. I'm stoked they are looking at improvements that go beyond just looking for reducing weight and improving durability.

The water collection idea is great and I can't believe nobody else has done it to this point. You can get drinking water without having to leave the shelter of your rig to filter water in the middle of a storm. As an added bonus, the weight of the gathered water further steadies the tarp in high winds (which tend to go hand in hand with storms when you need it most). The idea to have a darker and lighter side to either shield or gather heat is really good too. I've always wondered why nobody had done this before.
    This section is just wrong. Innovations in the hammock industry have been firing off at an insane rate over the last 6 years; underquilts, winter tarps, super-light suspensions, partial underquilts, wearable quilts, on and on. Kammock may be innovating, but certainly not even close to the pace of other vendors during the same timeframe.

And, Hennessy marketed the water-collection thing years ago. It wasn't terribly well received, but it's been there for a while.

It's one thing to compliment a vendor and I agree they may deserve some compliments, but refrain from doing so at other vendor's expense. Especially with information that isn't accurate.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Drinking tarp runoff?

Pass.

Wonders it never caught on
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The water-collection method has been around for years from Hennessy. It didn't catch on from them mostly because you also collect all the contaminants that are on your tarp surface, right along with the water.
    I was wondering, when I saw their add on the "glider", about possible contaminants from the tarp itself.

Seems to be made from "revolutionary fabric technology"...which made me question what chemicals may be in the tarp runoff itself. Had the same question about the Hennessy version when I'd seen it mentioned before, but moreso for this since they're trying a new type of tarp/fabric construction.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Yeah back when that water collecting thing came up ... about 10 years ago actually, I tried the water off my tarp ... once. Like drinking stale water out of a puddle! I'm not sure what's so grand about that Glider tarp. I don't like minimal tarps myself but the pictures on their website don't show it even covering the ends of the hammock under it.

There's been so much innovation in tarps and hammocks and suspensions on this site it's actually amazing. AS and Cannibal got it right ... nuff' said.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Thanks for the clarifications, I wasn't aiming to slag off other vendors and hope it didn't come across as such but obviously I rubed some people the wrong way. Obviously I have much to learn about the history of hammocking. I thought I had more of a grasp of it based on the conversations at the group hang in Spring.

I just like this company. They aren't cottage in the sense that they aren't operating from home (I love that stuff too. My HG underquilt, for example, is about the finest piece of gear I own) but they are still a relatively small startup. They are no ENO by any means.

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images
    I used the Hennessey water collection system multiple times. The way to catch the water was to wait a couple of minutes for the stuff to get washed off the tarp...and then do the water collection. I also used rolled up green scotchbrite pads as a water filter so that any leaves and/or debris did not get into my water bottle.

The glider tarp looks very interesting. I am looking forward to someone from here doing a review in the coming weeks.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It's not that we do not like Kammock. Any hammock is better than no hammock. OTOH it is not all that special either. Nobody will ditch their custom gear for a mass produced package unless they really screwed up on what they ordered. Few folks will recommend mass produced gear when they can point folks to custom gear for close to the same price. Look how many times folks push warbonnet when somebody mentions Hennessy yet Tom was a pioneer in the camping hammock business.

FWIW the trick with collecting water is to let the rain wash off the roof for a while first then collect. It will still have a flat taste but it will also be about as pure as it gets in nature. If one lives in a place that depends on collecting rain water for survival they have a diverter in the collection system that does not start collecting until a certain amount of rain falls to do the rinse. I do not see that in the Kammock product but one could just dump the first bottles. OTOH it is a solution in search of a problem for most of us most of the time.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Everything they sell is too heavy for a backpacking hammock in my opinion. The hammock alone is 24 oz., then they use carabiners which aren't strong enough to support a human:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=73575

Nothing original about their 12 oz python straps, either, from what I can tell: ENO Slap Straps or Atlas Straps with a new label on them. They should at least consider offering a lighter suspension like whoopies, but they don't.

And the Bear Grylls Glyder tarp is 25 oz. as well, made from Cordura. I'm sure their Dragonfly insect net will also weigh a lot (I see a zipper in the pics). You're looking at a 4lb. tarp/hammock setup and you haven't even got bug protection.

The whole setup sounds like a car-camping setup to me - which is fine if that's what you want. They just don't seem to be marketing or designing their products to appeal to HF members - they're trying to go for the ENO crowd. It's a noob setup, basically.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast